Halo [Split by David]

Anything else
Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:21 am

I thought you Jump around to stop yourself entering ones cross hairs, and try to aim with the cross hair and select your weapon for the job.

I must admit however I prefer unreal due to its more tactical use of all the weapons. and I <3 the Impact hammer!

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:53 am

You folks seem to have a different understanding of "easy".
Since one Q3 player can be better than another Q3 player,
there is skill involved. Difficulty depends on who you play against.
You don't shoot randomly, you shoot at the enemy.
If you play CTF, you don't jump around randomly either.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:08 am

invertin wrote:It's laughably easy. There is no real skill, you just jump around shooting randomly.
You realize the winner in Quake is the one with the most frags of OTHER people, not the one who gets fragged the most, right? Just checking.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:46 pm

Okay, hold on, you said you played Halo a few YEARS back ONCE at a friends birthday party. Go buy and Xbox, or get the computer version and play Halo again. You can't make any kind of judgement that's worth much until you've played it recently. And what's wrong with trying to pull off a spiritual sequal to your own game? I am of course talking the Marathon -> Halo

Also, I am starting to dislike you Ult, not because of your alternate veiw, but because you seem intent on pulling everyone into an agruement. You're not even educated about the topic of the discussion you started. If you were then you'd know that Halo is challenging on higher difficultys. As it is, you aren't so let's just lock this thread. I've had enough Halo debates that I can stand.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Dude, when Halo came out back in 2001, it was the only fucking reason people bought Xboxes. You think they bought it for Fuzion Frenzy?

So don't give me this "Halo is a bad game" bullshit. You're wrong.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:27 pm

That's called hype, wormguy. Halo was so ridiculously overhyped for ages before it came out that when it did, people were still riding that wave of anticipation, so they couldn't just detach themselves briefly and look at the crap they were playing.

Kalexon, I didn't start this thread. Dave split it from another one. Mods, it'd be nice if you could put something like "[Split!]" in the title of the threads you split.

The fact is, Kalexon, that playing the whole game in one sitting on the hardest difficulty using ranged weaponry only when I couldn't reach an opponent without it, after next to no experience with the game, made me, for obvious reasons, never want to play it again.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:55 pm

Dude, I remember playing Halo for the first time. I had never heard of it before I played it one day. I was blown away. I have friends who still play the original.

So, maybe it didn't appeal to you. That doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Also, if you played on Legendary for the first time and thought it was easy...you either are bullshitting me or are way too fucking good at videogames.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:58 pm

Hype can make you buy a game, but it can't make you enjoy it. While Halo was not perfect, it was the most important console shooter since Goldeneye, and it is one of the best-designed games of the last console generation.

Honestly I think you may have been mistaken about the difficulty you were playing on: you may have been on one of the easier modes by mistake or your friend had enabled some kind of cheat code.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:26 pm

I'm absolutely certain about the difficulty and the lack of cheat codes, don't worry about that part. :P Really, melee attacks do way too much damage in Halo, especially when you jump behind the enemies and hit 'em. Plus, the AI is pathetically predictable, so it's quite easy to play evasive in such a way that they end up shooting the crap out of each other until you take out the leftovers with a "pistol"-whip attack.

And really, I'm not that good at videogames. Well, I am at some (I'm an Oni god), but FPSs? Hell no. I'm not much better than an average FPSer, though I still love Quake III nonetheless.

But since I seem to be completely alone in this matter, I'll have to temporarily concede half the battle. I still think singleplayer is waaay too easy, but you can say whatever you want about multiplayer mode because I haven't really played that yet against anyone skilled. I'm going to download Halo during the week, when I have some free time, and play online for a while. I'll get back to you guys after a bit and add to these gripes with some about online play too.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:37 am

I disagree about the over hype. Just like Wormguy, when I got Halo for the Xbox, I had never even heard of it before.

Still, I seriously doubt you beat Halo on legendary using nothing but melee weapons in that first and only time you played the game during your friends birthday party. You are lying. I will believe it once I see it because, you are so extremely bias against the game for pointless reasons I cannot even understand.

Halo is much better on the Xbox I think. It's strong point is that it's a great shooter on the console, it's aiming is tuned perfectly. Just about any fps is a good shooter on the pc because of the mouse and keyboard set-up.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:21 am

I played halo Once on Multiplayer.
The Game was Easy to get the grips of, and with another guy helping you out brings the aspect of team work back into play.
the game is Very well done, and sad to say, I jump on the band wagon of never hearing of it before.

Ultima, I know what it is like to have a forum worth of people disagreeing with you and getting it all out of Proportion, its just a game, Even if you did Clock it on Insane, Let it go, its not a battle worth fighting. No battle amongst ourselves is worth fighting. :|

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:47 pm

The only reason I knew about Halo was because I played it at a friends house back when it first came out. I was blown away, both in the game and out.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:58 pm

Halo was decent...it wasn't God's gift to the video gaming world but it was a solid game. I didn't find anything entirely new or inventive about the game, but I did enjoy watching people scream, yell, whine, and throw objects at each other over it.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:47 pm

Colicedus wrote:…and with another guy helping you out brings the aspect of team work back into play.
Reminds me of Tremulous. It's perhaps the only free/open source teamplay FPS that involves strategy in the slightest, probably because if you die, it's A: Giving the enemy more money, and B: Getting them closer to the next tech level (Stage, technically)

*END RANDOM FPS SPEECH (CODENAME "HALLELUJAH 4 THIZ")*

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:50 pm

halo...is.....awesome
one of my favorite games.. for all you people saying its easy, i still havent beaten legendary on either of them
great game and yeah one of the best since a long time.