Article: Why we don't have more girls in technology

Anything else
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Article: Why we don't have more girls in technology

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:44 pm

TOO LATE

GTA = HOW WOMEN SHOULD BE TREATED

HAVE AT MEH YA DERTY FEMINISTS

*Sad classical music plays*

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:30 pm

This thread has been reported. Shape up.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:19 am

Grayswandir wrote:This thread has been reported. Shape up.
I thought you were a moderator.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:46 am

I am. That's how I saw someone reported it. Against my better judgement, I didn't just delete the entire thread. I'm seeing if it cleans itself up first.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:20 am

Oh, I'll be damned.

Anywho (Not a word) here's a serious response to the thread itself.

Because of peer pressure.

Girls in High School (Where you are deciding your plans for the real world) are subject to peer pressure, career choice is affected by what you choose, getting on the bandwagon of Beauty > Brains will. Sometimes girls become outcasts beyond the point of peer pressure, and these girls get free rein in the choice of career, girls at this point might join with the nerds in an attempt to be accepted by a crowd, they can become in the techy field (Men get here by choice, as there are more perceptions of men [Hacker, Save the world hacker, Nerd, Programmer, etc.] then women [Accountant, Receptionist, Banker, Stipper, outcast, etc. None of these come close to Technology]). Few girls get to this point, and even fewer get here by choice.

This is the result of the perception of women, the average jock (Who everyone wants to date) thinks either "Tit vending machine" or "Outcast nerd lady", everyone knows who he'll go for so they try to be that. This leads to this becoming the norm, if you aren't this you are likely an outcast, but still subject to peer pressure, then you might become such an outcast, few crowds will accept you and you are removed from the peer pressure area.

Further resulted from Bill Gates (Pioneer of the PC) and the CEOs of Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Nintendo all being men. As men are perceived as leaders and pioneers, no one thinks women would be in this field thanks to this, so women in this field are outcasts, try to get back in the crowd and abandon this idea or are bullied out of it.

This is a slippery slope for techy women, and a vicious circle for those wanting to join the field.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:55 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Because of peer pressure.

Girls in High School (Where you are deciding your plans for the real world) are subject to peer pressure, career choice is affected by what you choose, getting on the bandwagon of Beauty > Brains will. Sometimes girls become outcasts beyond the point of peer pressure, and these girls get free rein in the choice of career, girls at this point might join with the nerds in an attempt to be accepted by a crowd, they can become in the techy field (Men get here by choice, as there are more perceptions of men [Hacker, Save the world hacker, Nerd, Programmer, etc.] then women [Accountant, Receptionist, Banker, Stipper, outcast, etc. None of these come close to Technology]). Few girls get to this point, and even fewer get here by choice.

This is the result of the perception of women, the average jock (Who everyone wants to date) thinks either "Tit vending machine" or "Outcast nerd lady", everyone knows who he'll go for so they try to be that. This leads to this becoming the norm, if you aren't this you are likely an outcast, but still subject to peer pressure, then you might become such an outcast, few crowds will accept you and you are removed from the peer pressure area.

Further resulted from Bill Gates (Pioneer of the PC) and the CEOs of Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Nintendo all being men. As men are perceived as leaders and pioneers, no one thinks women would be in this field thanks to this, so women in this field are outcasts, try to get back in the crowd and abandon this idea or are bullied out of it.

This is a slippery slope for techy women, and a vicious circle for those wanting to join the field.
While that's all true, it's not just peer pressure. Peer pressure is the outside pressure of your equals affecting you, but as you noticed, there's more in play here. There's also the internal pressure of trying to fit in, not trying to make yourself an outcast by straying too farm from the "acceptable" roles. Then there's the outside pressure of the people socially more powerful than you (that includes sports stars, even if they're just jocks).

Then there's the lack of respected role models. There are some women in tech industry too, but they're both in the minority, and relatively unknown, so they aren't really respected by the population in general. For example, there's the computer science pioneer Admiral Grace Hopper. And Kiki Wolfkill. Well, she just worked on Halos and some other games, but that name, wow. Who wouldn't want to be like Wolfkill when they grow up?

Then there's the fact that people don't like upsetting the status quo, it often feels like any changes should be explained in some way... and when the majority of tech workers are male, hiring a woman might feel like a change, and so people feel like it requires a reason. Even if the female is the most qualified. Unfortunate.

Btw, this is what feminism calls "patriarchy" - men and women have different roles, stereotypes and expectations upon them, and the ones hoisted on men tend to be the ones where men are making important decisions, and/or get respected, and/or get killed.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:29 pm

Endoperez wrote:While that's all true, it's not just peer pressure. Peer pressure is the outside pressure of your equals affecting you, but as you noticed, there's more in play here. There's also the internal pressure of trying to fit in, not trying to make yourself an outcast by straying too farm from the "acceptable" roles. Then there's the outside pressure of the people socially more powerful than you (that includes sports stars, even if they're just jocks).

Then there's the lack of respected role models. There are some women in tech industry too, but they're both in the minority, and relatively unknown, so they aren't really respected by the population in general. For example, there's the computer science pioneer Admiral Grace Hopper. And Kiki Wolfkill. Well, she just worked on Halos and some other games, but that name, wow. Who wouldn't want to be like Wolfkill when they grow up?
That's what I was getting at, women aren't expected to work in the techy fields so if they want to be normal, they don't work in them.
Then there's the fact that people don't like upsetting the status quo, it often feels like any changes should be explained in some way... and when the majority of tech workers are male, hiring a woman might feel like a change, and so people feel like it requires a reason. Even if the female is the most qualified. Unfortunate.
I hate change more then your average person and that's a little messed up.
Btw, this is what feminism calls "patriarchy" - men and women have different roles, stereotypes and expectations upon them, and the ones hoisted on men tend to be the ones where men are making important decisions, and/or get respected, and/or get killed.
To be fair...Get killed...

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:08 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote: To be fair...Get killed...
That's the point. It harms everyone in some way, so it'd be better if expectations were more gender neutral. Then taking risks, or raising a family, or disliking IT would be a personal choice, not something society expects.