Anyone here own DoW?

Anything else
David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 am

RRRAAAARRGGH

I don't usually care for RTS games; they are too much like work.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:23 am

Seriously guys, stop doing this we're running out of colors.

RTS games are sometimes a pain, yes. Especially when a huge tau tank battalion comes knocking at your door before you can even get dreadnoughts.

But I'm a big fan of RTS's.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:05 am

I like the idea of RTSes, but unfortunately every time I manage to play one (In a four player battle against the easiest AI, usually) I end up being plastered with heaps of units… Macro-management… I hate it! If only Master of Orion (The original one that fits on four or so floppy disks :P) had a ship limit, I can barely hold off the armadas of ships with my UberRailgunDreadnoughtFighters… Heh heh heh, Psilons and Darloks rock… And so does abandonware…

Maybe I just need to stop updating my ship designs… It'll make them cost less too…

Meh, unless this topic is about RTSes, we're getting off-topic. This means I won't lift a finger to stop it… :?

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:10 am

I thought I was alone BWS x3 Usually when I'm playing RTS games (not just DoW) I haven't even finished building my base and the enemy comes knocking at my door.

Example 1: C&C Tiberian Sun. I start building a base and making all sorts of security devices (walls, turrets, laser gates) to protect my stuff. Halfway through some bloody AI decides to Ion cannon my great work in progress! :x

Dawn of war however seems to be much easier for me to play, most likely because I'm good with requisition management and can get a land raider quite quickly (or if I'm playing the original DoW without patches or expansions, as many land raiders as I can fit into the vehicle cap :3 I'm unstoppable after that)

Oh yeah, Khorne Berzerkers are funny. "I AM NOT YOUR BOOTLICK!" I don't really play Chaos though, it was just one time when my Brother played DoW:WA and made squad upon squad of Berzerkers. Turns out he was fighting a Chaos AI. It was quite funny, a horde of cultists would come along, and shortly after they'd be chased by the Berzerkers. Something like:

Cultists: Chaaaaaarge!

Berzerkers: RRRAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Cultists: Retreeeeeat!

hehehe :3 Anywho, I prefer playing space marines (although I wish they'd let you customise the unit's appearance. I want a beakie/Mk6 helmet squad)

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:23 am

David wrote:I don't usually care for RTS games; they are too much like work.
Ditto. I rarely have fun playing RTS games because, in general, they're hard I suck at them. I can't do that much multi-tasking all at the same time. I'm not a woman. (Oh please don't attack me this time)

But yeah the only RTS game I ever enjoyed playing was Age Of Empires, and even that only for a while. JOAN OF ARC FTW.

Oh wait and Populous, that was actually better than Age Of Empires. I loved converting n00bz to my cause with my preacherz lolz. It was teh awesome. But yeah seriously Populous combined RTS with action so I was like omfg wtf!!!1...

Sorry about that guys.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 pm

Don't forget Natural Selection (actually I haven't played that one, but still, it sounds good). A mix of FPS and RTS ^^

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:45 pm

Like Tremulous, you mean?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:15 pm

ChazFox wrote:Don't forget Natural Selection (actually I haven't played that one, but still, it sounds good). A mix of FPS and RTS ^^
Savage 8)

I've always loved the Heroes of Might and Magic series. One through four especially. I've never played five. I also suck at the first one but, it still rocks.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:31 pm

David wrote:RRRAAAARRGGH
Ahh, hes gonna kill us all!

I have only played one Might and Magic game and that was this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusaders_ ... _and_Magic

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:40 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:I like the idea of RTSes, but unfortunately every time I manage to play one (In a four player battle against the easiest AI, usually) I end up being plastered with heaps of units… Macro-management… I hate it! If only Master of Orion (The original one that fits on four or so floppy disks :P) had a ship limit, I can barely hold off the armadas of ships with my UberRailgunDreadnoughtFighters… Heh heh heh, Psilons and Darloks rock… And so does abandonware…

Maybe I just need to stop updating my ship designs… It'll make them cost less too…

Meh, unless this topic is about RTSes, we're getting off-topic. This means I won't lift a finger to stop it… :?
If you don't like Macro management, you should try playing Company of Heroes. Now, I already know you aren't going to play Company of Heroes and never will because it's for the PC, requires a pretty decent machine, and it's not an independent game, but for anyone else, this game is pretty tight.

It's an rts game but you only need to build and control like 5 or 6 different units at a time because it's mainly about where you set your guys up; it uses a more advanced system of the DoW 40k games where pretty much every object in the game can be used like cover.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Anyone try Horror squadron?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:56 pm

Zant, I tried that off of GameTap during the early, buggy versions. It wouldn't work...maybe I should try again...but I'm really starting to hate emulating games through GameTap because the GT shell itself without the games is slowly turning into a CPU hog...but playing that many games for 10$ a month (or more recently, a possible monthly load of free games) is a good deal.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:19 am

Zantalos wrote:If you don't like Macro management, you should try playing Company of Heroes.
I have Company Of Heroes in my house. I've had it in my house about half a year or so and I never played it. I'm currently addicted to FPS titles so I might get around to playing it when I get around to it.

I've been seriously considering it though, because loads of people have talked about that game, it's supposed to be fantastic. It received great reviews anyway, I believe.
Blorx wrote:I've always loved the Heroes of Might and Magic series.
Ditto actually. Forgot about that one. I loved HOMAM3 most, although those games really got too hard as you progressed. Eventually there was guys roaming around with like 90 black dragons or something so you just got your ass handed to you.

But yeah good game. :D

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Never heard about HoMaM until it turned out Erfworld was partially based on it.

v-nix
gr8 notebook artist

Post by v-nix » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:12 am

invertin wrote:Seriously guys, stop doing this we're running out of colors.

RTS games are sometimes a pain, yes. Especially when a huge tau tank battalion comes knocking at your door before you can even get dreadnoughts.

But I'm a big fan of RTS's.
nobodies used black yet! mwhaha! black!haha! black...heh.. black..blackie black...black...