Do any of you belive in Life in outer Space?

Anything else

Do you belive in intelligent life in outer space?

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 18

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Do any of you belive in Life in outer Space?

Post by Colicedus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:19 pm

As a kid I have always wondered if there is such things as other Life forms (sentient) in the void of space.

Do any of you believe? and why/why not?

Ill start: IMO, I ask, how can life forms not be on other plaints.
this Universe (I may add is a very big place) would be a rather empty place if there was not.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:43 pm

It's mathematically nigh-impossible for there not to be cellular life on _some_ other planets _somewhere_ in the universe. A more important issue is how accurate that definition of life actually is.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:35 pm

…not to mention the fact that evolution was so widespread here on earth, it's also nigh-impossible for that not to have happened in other areas of the universe, or even our galaxy. Millions of billions of light-years of space contain stars and planets, some of them probably suited to carbon-based life, or even non carbon-based. Nigh-impossible just isn't enough to describe the probability of a possibly infinitely-sized universe containing life in more places than just earth.

It's more likely it isn't an infinite amount of stars, planets, asteroids, black holes, life, etc. But there's so much out there (Apparently moving away from us faster than an interstellar cat getting one helluva fright!) that it's physically impossible to view past the point which they're traveling faster than light, which counts for a "Freakin' huge!" sticker at least.

I vote yes. How could I not? My religion is that belief is reality.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:36 am

The universe is so big there has to be life somewhere.

The real question is, is there intelligent life, nearby?

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:33 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:...possibly infinitely-sized universe...more likely it isn't an infinite amount
The universe is _not_ infinitely big. It's arguable that it's infinitely big in size, although few scientists believe that, but it does _not_ contain an infinite amount of matter. Otherwise the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy would not hold.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:05 am

You're just trying to flame people now.

Read my post and you'll probably find that as you just quoted, I'm talking about an infinitely sized universe, and not an infinite amount of matter in it.

Besides, you just contradicted yourself then.

ChazFox
XD

Post by ChazFox » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:15 am

I agree that there has to be some kind of sentient life out there. My reasoning is that this planet is in its solar system's "Goldilocks zone", every little detail from temperature to pressure is just right for cellular life to form. There are billions of planets out there, so at least a million of those must be in a "Goldilocks zone" somewhere or other.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:27 am

That zone varies depending on what lifeforms are out there, too, meaning each and every species in the universe has it's own preferred climate and atmosphere. If there's more than one in a solar system with completely different zones they could live in their respective zones quite well.

When people start talking about interstellar life only then do you truly appreciate the true meaning of "Astronomically". In less professional terms, this means it's just plain amazing how freakin' huge™ the universe is.

Man I love scientist/slang translations. :lol:

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:53 am

i think that if there is life here, what are the chances that there is no more life somwhere out there, it might be microscopic, but that would still be life, it would be uterly amazing if, out of billions of planets, that only 1 would have life, sure it wouldn't look like E.T. but what if they looked somthing like that black goo from spider man 3? (NOT when it's on somone). when you really think about what life out there would look like, what are the chances it would be a little green man, it would almost have to evolve from this planet.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:05 am

Maybe I should start sketching possible alien lifeforms or something. :)

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:15 am

good idea BWS Image

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:51 am

A: That's painting. Looks nice though.

B: I meant the more realistic and less traditional ones, like MONKEYZ RULE suggested.

C: Did you make that, or did you find it? It's in a photobucket album so I can't really tell.

D: I wish the scanner didn't have a bunch of stuff on top of it, and/or that the scanner app was installed on this computer… Wacom tablet to the… Yuck, that looks like it was drawn with a fountain pen, RETREEEEEAT!!

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:30 am

No, BwS, you specifically stated an "infinite amount of STARS" and other such objects containing matter. I was refuting that part of your post. Why are you being so defensive? I point out an illogical part of your post in a scientific debate, and suddenly you say I'm flaming you?

This kind of discussion about life on other planets happens all the time, and the fundamental flaw is always a lack of definitions. We need to define life and, in reference to invertin's post, sentience before this discussion can have any meaning.

Example: the Gaia Hypothesis. In essence, this theory considers the entire Earth a living entity due to the idea that it undergoes homeostasis much like cellular lifeforms. If the Earth's processes can be considered homeostatic, why not the interactions of atoms as they attempt to reach their most stable states through bonding, electron donation and the like? Can an atom not be considered as alive as any cell? If so, almost ALL matter contains life. In fact, we don't completely understand every single part of Earth's natural homeostatic cycles, yet it undergoes these processes constantly all around the globe; does that make it more sentient than us?

I'm not saying that I believe or disbelieve any of this. I'm just making it clear that constraints on our views of life and sentience are necessary for any such discussion to make any sort of sense.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:...possibly infinitely-sized universe...more likely it isn't an infinite amount
The universe is _not_ infinitely big. It's arguable that it's infinitely big in size, although few scientists believe that, but it does _not_ contain an infinite amount of matter. Otherwise the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy would not hold.
I don't really see how you called this a flame. It was just a point.

That's pretty true, I never thought about it that way though, but I never thought about the world being infinite either I suppose.

I would say there has to be life on other planets, because with all these stars out there, how could we be the only star to have life on it? I just think there has to be because I'd find it extremely difficult to believe that there isn't.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:26 pm

i wonder if the universe is round or flat...if round, do we just eventually come back to earth after going so far in a straight line? if flat, is there an edge to fall into nothingness which constitutes life worse than death? or is it "infinite" in a sense that we go so far that there is no light or matter in the darkness beyond the stars? that's really all i want to know about the universe...and if intelligent life exists elsewhere