My new prog rock instrumental

Anything else
valentinbk

My new prog rock instrumental

Post by valentinbk » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:35 pm

Hey everyone! Im back with some more new music for you, this time on the rock side. Its called Never Peace Of Mind, its a prog rock instrumental with metal, hard and alt rock influences. And as usual it has a lot of emphasis on the guitar solo.

Sit back, have a listen, and let me know what you think!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLdOFuB7mEM

BTW, cat cam is back :D

nutcracker

Re: My new prog rock instrumental

Post by nutcracker » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm

It ain't bad. I'm an avid prog metal fan and I can say that was ok. The song didnt really have anything to draw you in, it was solid but slightly bland with only being balladesque soloing on top of clean guitar chords and nothing else. Im looking to record music myself (been playing guitar for 6 years) so do you have any tips on setting up recording equipment etc.

The production in your video soundwise was really HQ

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:05 am

nutcracker wrote:It ain't bad. I'm an avid prog metal fan and I can say that was ok. The song didnt really have anything to draw you in, it was solid but slightly bland with only being balladesque soloing on top of clean guitar chords and nothing else. Im looking to record music myself (been playing guitar for 6 years) so do you have any tips on setting up recording equipment etc.

Well, I write my music the way I see it, and I cant, and wont even try, to please everyone.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:04 pm

valentinbk wrote:
nutcracker wrote:It ain't bad. I'm an avid prog metal fan and I can say that was ok. The song didnt really have anything to draw you in, it was solid but slightly bland with only being balladesque soloing on top of clean guitar chords and nothing else. Im looking to record music myself (been playing guitar for 6 years) so do you have any tips on setting up recording equipment etc.

Well, I write my music the way I see it, and I cant, and wont even try, to please everyone.
I didnt mean to be so negative about it :D Its fine and all. You had some cool phrygian dominant stuff which I liked, Im a big fan of arabic and spanish classical and metal guitar. So I just want em tips :3 When I get to recording I can share what i've made

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:16 pm

nutcracker wrote:
valentinbk wrote:

I didnt mean to be so negative about it :D Its fine and all. You had some cool phrygian dominant stuff which I liked, Im a big fan of arabic and spanish classical and metal guitar. So I just want em tips :3 When I get to recording I can share what i've made
In the end it all comes down to having good equipment and software. For me its putting a microphone (Shure SM58) next to my amp (Bugera V5), connecting the microphone to a soundcard (Edirol UA-25) using Cubase 7 (elements) for recording and Guitar Rig 4 for equalizer and reverb.

It will probably change in the future but thats what Im doing now. Hope it helped.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:24 am

Do you think plugging the guitar straight to the soundcard would work? A lot of programs have built in amps in them.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:08 am

nutcracker wrote:Do you think plugging the guitar straight to the soundcard would work? A lot of programs have built in amps in them.
It works too, its just sounds a bit less "alive" and its harder to get good sound this way. If you have a good sounding amp you definitely should record it.