no
5%
KETCHUP
45%

Total votes: 20

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 pm

I haven't tried the multiplayer as much, but it seems much better than the single-player. The replay feature is very cool, and I hope that becomes standard on console games. All Bungie games have had replays like that since Marathon, but usually they are not as well integrated as they are in Halo 3. It is also nice to be able to take screenshots and upload them, like I did to demonstrate how they are handling water splashes.

I think Halo 3 has the best multiplayer I have seen for 360, but I am still having the most fun with the Quake Wars demo :) I think the Halo 3 multiplayer is improved by the sheer number of players who are playing on it, so it is easier for their 'matchmaking' service to find other players of similar skill level and connection speed.

I also have to say that that video you linked to is just dripping with hyperbole; it is not actually that hard at all to implement replays, and it is in no way a new idea.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:44 pm

The water splashes are nice, I think they are much better than, well I don't want to say look better than Bioshock, but it certainly is more satisfying when you see these bullets kicking up the water really high, some advanced ripple effects, and long rivers that can sweep up objects in them. Bioshock just has some pretty water surfaces, they aren't really interactive and they don't react very well to things hitting them.

The matchmaking is definitely what this game is about. It still takes a while to find a team slayer match with hundreds of thousands of people on-line, but it's so much nicer when you can find a match with people who are your level.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:30 pm

David wrote: I think Halo 3 has the best multiplayer I have seen for 360, but I am still having the most fun with the Quake Wars demo :) I think the Halo 3 multiplayer is improved by the sheer number of players who are playing on it, so it is easier for their 'matchmaking' service to find other players of similar skill level and connection speed.
From what I've played of a multiplayer beta a few months back, it plays better then halo 2, however it's hard to get into a game like halo 3 when theirs other options on the market such as Quake Wars and Warhawk.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:32 pm

David, I think so much more higly of you now for agreeing that Quake Wars is just that much better than Halo 3...though the PC version is showng signs of performance issues, nonetheless

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:02 pm

I FINALLY got to play it. Extremely awesomes. i gotta say though, i dont see all the hype for the spartan laser...either i suck at it or it just charges too slow for me.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:07 pm

nerodx wrote:I FINALLY got to play it. Extremely awesomes. i gotta say though, i dont see all the hype for the spartan laser...either i suck at it or it just charges too slow for me.
It does charge slowly, but it is worth it when you kill the entire enemy team in one shot :)

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:23 pm

theres the part about "maybe i just suck with it....i can get one person maybe from 5 feet away...thats it...awwww

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:43 pm

I have trouble with dying before my laser charges so I just use it as a club.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:35 pm

I don't have Halo 3 but from what I've heard the single player is pretty mediocre. Too bad; I'm kind of old-school in that I really love a good single-player mode.

From what I've heard about the multiplayer it's pretty spectacular though.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 pm

wormguy wrote:I don't have Halo 3 but from what I've heard the single player is pretty mediocre. Too bad; I'm kind of old-school in that I really love a good single-player mode.

From what I've heard about the multiplayer it's pretty spectacular though.
Halo 3 single player is satisfying but nothing suprising or unexpected...its a decent end to the trilogy...but nothing special.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:51 am

All I want in plot for an FPS is a vehicle for the gameplay..or in other words a vehicle for the killing and destruction.

v-nix
gr8 notebook artist

Post by v-nix » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 pm

i apsolutaly loved the single player.... but im a sort of person who dont find many things boring (in games) i thought that there was great ideas awesome charecters, also realy cool minor situaions, like for example..

*MAYBE A SPOILER* but i dont know i dont make a plan of what im writing

where you have just gone through the ark and the covenant are building another 40ft AA gun, and on the first level when you are walking through the forest and johnson says " move out quiet as you can" and you sneak through the forest and a marine on the radio whispers "i got eyes on a brute pack" and when you get a gravity hammer and i remember the grunts saying "watch out hes got a hammer!"

i think it just gives it an amazing sense of realisim
and the story is awesome anyway

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:44 pm

The voice acting and voice AI has always been my favorite part of Bungie games. The single-player is excellent at a micro-scale, but awful in terms of overall campaign design, mostly towards the end.

v-nix
gr8 notebook artist

Post by v-nix » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:45 pm

i dont think so but im not gonna argue with you

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:34 pm

Grunts are the best enemies ever.

"WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!"