Anime Thread

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: Anime Thread

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 am

If someone's looking for a decent shonen action anime with a plot that actually gets finished during the series, I recommend Busou Renkin. It's taking the traditional shonen plot, and adding a few twists that don't change how it goes forward, only how we interpret the meaning behind the actions.

It's also got an interesting sense of humour. For example, one of the monsters is "Moonface". He's a man with moonface. As in, his face is like the moon. Kinda. Moonface also likes saying "MOOOOOON". Like so:

(the Type Moon stuff isn't part of the series, obviously).

The series is pretty funny, if you like that quirky sense of humour.

It also has fights with well-thought-out powers. Well, the concepts at least - the execution often tends to be of the "HIT IT HARDER" variety. It is one of those train train TRAIN HARDER series, where the protagonists learns fast until he outlearns everyone. I'm a sucker for that trope. It also uses that "all my friends are looking! I can't lose now! I feel powerful again, yaaaagh!" thing.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:20 pm

So...

Anyone else here seen Steven Universe?

It's a cool little feel-good show, and it's even showing hints of an actual plot!

What's it about? Well, mostly about the antics of this boy called Steven Universe:

He thinks he's funnier than he is, but it's played as one of his antics and not as something the viewer is supposed to find funny, and so far it hasn't become annoying.

The single most defining trait of Steven's is that he's... a good boy. He is kind, he wants everyone to be happy, etc. As I said, this is a feel-good series. He isn't always good at it, since he's just a kid, but it's a recurring theme.

Most of the rest of the recurring cast is Steven's family. First, there's his dad, a likeable lazy overweight average-dad-guy. He plays guitar, likes fatty food, and has an old van.

Steven's mother, Rose, is dead. Her friends Amethyst, Garnet and Pearl take care of Steven most of the time. The three women are all 'crystal gems' - magical girls with mystical powers. And somehow Steven is also a gem. He inherited his mother's powers, and she died.

Together, they SAVE THE WORLD

Actually, they just fight monsters and recover artifacts from arious trapped, monster-infested ancient temples, all the while Pearl explains how pretty and not-monster-infested it all used to be. Sometimes Steven gets his hand on the magical artifact and learns a lesson using it. The show is well-written, the characters are nice, and in parts the show just manages to get this perfect mixed tone of awesomeness and silliness.

TL;DR

Steven Universe - Calvin and Hobbes, except Calvin is nicer and Hobbes is three magical girls.
Watching it makes you feel: happy, hungry, "that was cute"
Don't watch it if you don't like: kids being silly, songs

It starts with episode titled Gem Glow. While it's not a bad episode, the series gets better as it goes on - especially around the lion episodes.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:55 pm

Meanwhile

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:12 am

Korban3 wrote:Meanwhile
I expected ponies. I am slightly disappointed but mostly surprised.

Albino Axolotl

Post by Albino Axolotl » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:38 am

I am really having some nostalgia cravings for Kim Possible.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:21 am

Albino Axolotl wrote:I am really having some nostalgia cravings for Kim Possible.
It is a pretty nifty series. Well-written and rather clever, and it pulled off some interesting twists.