Live Chat

Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Anything else

Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:24 pm

I hate to go out of my element and talk about real life events, even worse things that are recent.

But, doing some research on Ebola. We are screwed.

That is all I am going to say, we're screwed.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Wormwood » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:12 pm

No it won't. The only reason Ebola is such a huge deal is because in developing countries, they don't have water with which to wash their hands. If there's ever a major Ebola outbreak in the US, I will eat my hat.

More people will die of Malaria today than have ever died of Ebola.

Sorry I'm bursting your bubble with my brutal optimism, but the media is blowing this way out of proportion. They always do.
User avatar
Wormwood
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:37 pm

I call bullshit, so far it's reportedly the worst Ebola outbreak ever.

That doesn't make it bad, but quite a lot of people (CDC included) that this could potentially become an extinction level event if it stays this way or gets worse.

Now, I'm not going to say it some conspiracy bullshit or some such lie pulled out of someone's ass. But I won't deny it can become a problem, and fast.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby EPR89 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:32 pm

I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure that all the major outbreaks have been limited to Africa and all mortality rates are based on data from these regions as well. I doubt that medical standards there are up to par with more developed countries.
The fact that all specialists are now focussed on dealing with this situation and that the entire world's attention is directed towards it will make precautions extra tight. I doubt that this will get out of hand.

And even if it did, eventually the rest of the world would just opt for the Madagascar method. I am willing to take bets that I will not get infected as long as I don't travel to Nigeria soon.
User avatar
EPR89
 
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:38 pm

EPR89 wrote:I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure that all the major outbreaks have been limited to Africa and all mortality rates are based on data from these regions as well. I doubt that medical standards there are up to par with more developed countries.
The fact that all specialists are now focussed on dealing with this situation and that the entire world's attention is directed towards it will make precautions extra tight. I doubt that this will get out of hand.

And even if it did, eventually the rest of the world would just opt for the Madagascar method. I am willing to take bets that I will not get infected as long as I don't travel to Nigeria soon.

Wait...

Nigeria?


Shit...

Anyways on a serious note...

EPR89 wrote:I'm not an expert here, but I'm pretty sure that all the major outbreaks have been limited to Africa and all mortality rates are based on data from these regions as well. I doubt that medical standards there are up to par with more developed countries.

This is true. Though the fact that it's spreading so rapidly is worrying.

The fact that all specialists are now focussed on dealing with this situation and that the entire world's attention is directed towards it will make precautions extra tight. I doubt that this will get out of hand.

It's already getting out of hand.

And even if it did, eventually the rest of the world would just opt for the Madagascar method.

This. All of this.

I am willing to take bets that I will not get infected as long as I don't travel to Nigeria soon.

I too would doubt that. But if someone somehow gets either through the quarantine (That one prick here in the US), or onto an international flight and SOMEHOW into the US, we are collectively screwed.

Slim to none of course, but it could easily happen if it gets out of control to much to fast.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Korban3 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:22 pm

We all die eventually. Might as well get it out of the way now.
User avatar
Korban3
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:14 pm
Location: 42nd St E, Hell

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby EPR89 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:26 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
I am willing to take bets that I will not get infected as long as I don't travel to Nigeria soon.

I too would doubt that. But if someone somehow gets either through the quarantine (That one prick here in the US), or onto an international flight and SOMEHOW into the US, we are collectively screwed.

Slim to none of course, but it could easily happen if it gets out of control to much to fast.

What prick in the US? To my knowledge there are currently three people with the virus in the US. Two aid workers and one doctor. All have been brought back to the US for treatment and are kept in secure environments and the two aid workers are essentially cured already.
User avatar
EPR89
 
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:17 pm

Korban3 wrote:We all die eventually. Might as well get it out of the way now.

Well you are one depressing mothafucka.

EPR89 wrote:What prick in the US? To my knowledge there are currently three people with the virus in the US. Two aid workers and one doctor. All have been brought back to the US for treatment and are kept in secure environments and the two aid workers are essentially cured already.

The doctor, and no, I doubt he'll get through quarantine.

Still. Why couldn't we treat him in Africa?

Better yet, until he have a cure why do the aid workers have to come back?
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby SamW » Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:20 pm

We can't control the pathogen unless we can treat it. Treating a real live case of it, is the best way to understand how to treat it. The worse thing we can do, right now, is ignore it.

For the people we treat here, we are improving and learning how to manage the disease. Unfortunately, however, the people in Africa still don't have the resources and public knowledge they need to control the disease, and, as I understand, the situation could get worse without a greater investment into solving problems with the African nation's health infrastructure and awareness.

The aid workers are doing what nobody else wants to do in order to ensure the outbreak is contained, and it is their work, that will help prevent it from spreading to other countries and the world. We can't turn our backs on them or we will create an environment where our fear will lead to a loss of control over the situation.

The aid workers coming back need to be welcomed back with or without the disease. Those who go out there have risked so much for the health security of the world. Those who come back to the US sick, have not only given so much to control the disease, but (to put it bluntly), are now extremely valuable by being case studies for all the doctors who want to gain practical experience treating and controlling the disease. There is nothing we can do to repay these people. The lease we can do is to welcome them into our country's medical system and avoid speaking ill towards them.
SamW
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:08 am

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:16 pm

SamW wrote:We can't control the pathogen unless we can treat it. Treating a real live case of it, is the best way to understand how to treat it. The worse thing we can do, right now, is ignore it.

For the people we treat here, we are improving and learning how to manage the disease. Unfortunately, however, the people in Africa still don't have the resources and public knowledge they need to control the disease, and, as I understand, the situation could get worse without a greater investment into solving problems with the African nation's health infrastructure and awareness.

The aid workers are doing what nobody else wants to do in order to ensure the outbreak is contained, and it is their work, that will help prevent it from spreading to other countries and the world. We can't turn our backs on them or we will create an environment where our fear will lead to a loss of control over the situation.

The aid workers coming back need to be welcomed back with or without the disease. Those who go out there have risked so much for the health security of the world. Those who come back to the US sick, have not only given so much to control the disease, but (to put it bluntly), are now extremely valuable by being case studies for all the doctors who want to gain practical experience treating and controlling the disease. There is nothing we can do to repay these people. The lease we can do is to welcome them into our country's medical system and avoid speaking ill towards them.

I'm not saying we just ignore the fact that they exist until the situation finally gets out of control. I'm saying that they are probably needed more in Africa than they are in America.

Let's face it, no one out of quarantine in the US has Ebola, the worst thing we can do is shift someone from Ebola cure to cancer treatment (If you get my point).
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby EPR89 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:31 pm

They didn't come back into the US in their function as aid workers, but as US citizens infected with Ebola who were brought back in order to properly help them in their recovery. And they could test some new treatments on them there as well, which is what is happening with the doctor now as well.

As for this part:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Let's face it, no one out of quarantine in the US has Ebola, the worst thing we can do is shift someone from Ebola cure to cancer treatment (If you get my point).

No. I don't. Not at all.
User avatar
EPR89
 
Posts: 1840
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:57 am
Location: Germany

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:57 pm

EPR89 wrote:They didn't come back into the US in their function as aid workers, but as US citizens infected with Ebola who were brought back in order to properly help them in their recovery. And they could test some new treatments on them there as well, which is what is happening with the doctor now as well.

As for this part:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Let's face it, no one out of quarantine in the US has Ebola, the worst thing we can do is shift someone from Ebola cure to cancer treatment (If you get my point).

No. I don't. Not at all.

By that I meant that the worst thing we could do for treating Ebola is to send people back to the US for some reason.

Of course you brought that up in the first bit of your post.
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Sehiro » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 am

EPR89 wrote:I doubt that medical standards there are up to par with more developed countries.
The fact that all specialists are now focussed on dealing with this situation and that the entire world's attention is directed towards it will make precautions extra tight. I doubt that this will get out of hand.


Totally agree.
I have a friend who works in a hospital in Europe: even if the risk of an ebola outbreak here are pretty low, all the hospitals (in my nation at least) have already got the equipment and the people to deal with it. This means that a massive outbreak can not happen. Moreover the news reported that if treated with the necessary precautions the contamination risk is close to zero. If you live in a first world nation there isn't much to worry about.
Sorry if you don't live in such a place though.
User avatar
Sehiro
 
Posts: 302
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:59 am
Location: Currently in the Lifestream

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Assaultman67 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:51 pm

User avatar
Assaultman67
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Welp. Ebola is going to fuck us all.

Postby Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:35 pm


Canada has Maple Syrup.

CONQUER DEM NAO
User avatar
Phoenixwarrior141
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:37 pm
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Next

Return to Randomness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group