Hatred: The Game From God

Anything else
EPR89

Re: Hatred: The Game From God

Post by EPR89 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:
...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)

The question you may ask is: why do they do this? These days, when a lot of games are heading to be polite, colorful, politically correct and trying to be some kind of higher art, rather than just an entertainment – we wanted to create something against trends. Something different, something that could give the player a pure, gaming pleasure. Here comes our game, which takes no prisoners and makes no excuses. We say ‘yes, it is a game about killing people’ and the only reason of the antagonist doing that sick stuff is his deep-rooted hatred. Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder.
In particular gave off a few cues.
Cool. Where is this quote from?
I doubt that comments like these are anywhere in the final game. It's definitely nowhere to be seen here:

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:58 pm

From the game's page linked in the OP, you can read it yourself in it's entirety.

This seems like it'll be Hotline Miami, where it is serious but isn't afraid to joke with itself.

+ Gore and blood (Which HM did FAR WORSE)

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:13 pm

I see no attempts at joking in the game. The style is completely different from stuff like Hotline Miami. I don't think that bringing up games like Manhunt, HM or Postal 2 results in fair comparisons. Those games either were obviously tongue-in-cheek or had some sort of motivation for the character.

In Hatred the motivation seems to be: "I hate the world. The world hates me. Now I will take as many people with me as I can." Exactly what drove people like the two boys behind Columbine to do what they did.
This is incredibly unsettling. It's what I would expect an angsty teenager to come up with. There is absolutely nothing funny or unserious about it. It's just glorification of violence against random victims for the shock effect. And depending on how this "story" is presented, it is one of those rare cases were I would consider a video game to be potentially dangerous, or at least more dangerous than our run-of -the mill action game.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:20 am

EPR89 wrote:I see no attempts at joking in the game. The style is completely different from stuff like Hotline Miami. I don't think that bringing up games like Manhunt, HM or Postal 2 results in fair comparisons. Those games either were obviously tongue-in-cheek or had some sort of motivation for the character.
How was Hotline Miami tongue-in-cheek?

In Hatred the motivation seems to be: "I hate the world. The world hates me. Now I will take as many people with me as I can." Exactly what drove people like the two boys behind Columbine to do what they did.
It's also very similar to Jacket from Hotline Miami, who killed because some guy on the phone told him to.

How is that any more justifiable then "The world was not nice to me. Vengeance is NAO"?
This is incredibly unsettling. It's what I would expect an angsty teenager to come up with. There is absolutely nothing funny or unserious about it.
I fail to see how Hotline Miami was "unserious" as well.
It's just glorification of violence against random victims for the shock effect.
Nope:
"Player has to ask himself what can push any human being to mass-murder."

"take a journey into the antagonist's hateful mind"

"...just don't try this at home and don't take it too seriously, it's just a game. :)"

Straight from the development page. The idea seems to be:

A: What could drive a human to mass murder?

B: What goes on in these people's mind?

C: Will you take enjoyment from this?

D: Kill people without any ethical padding (After playing Spec Ops, this is no surprise. Slapping military helmets on these people wouldn't change the fact you were still killing people).
And depending on how this "story" is presented, it is one of those rare cases were I would consider a video game to be potentially dangerous, or at least more dangerous than our run-of -the mill action game.
How is this any more dangerous then Hotline Miami? Which had little ethical padding and where you committed worse atrocities. Here it's just shooting and stabbing people with an up-close view and some creativity. Not much compared to slitting the throats of people or tearing jaws off in Hotline Miami.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:11 am

I see it as half satirical, playing on the ultra violence seen in a lot of games, and half playing to the fact that shock culture is still alive and well. Clearly. Because this game is making ripples just foe being grisly.

People need to unclench their ass holes, it's just a damn game. Just because it happens to represent an array of emotions that are common among active shooters doesn't mean anything, really.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:24 am

Korban3 wrote:I see it as half satirical, playing on the ultra violence seen in a lot of games, and half playing to the fact that shock culture is still alive and well. Clearly. Because this game is making ripples just foe being grisly.
That's really it.

People need to unclench their ass holes, it's just a damn game. Just because it happens to represent an array of emotions that are common among active shooters doesn't mean anything, really.
Yesssssss unclench yer anus. I'm cuming for yewwwwww
I agree.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:52 pm

Just because they say it is satirical doesn't mean it's effectively portrayed as such. One can have the intent of creating satire and fail to do so. The intro is pretty cliche and generic, but the actual gameplay seems dedicated to detailed, gory execution sequences. The content shows that it is not tongue-in-cheek at all. The developers are likely fully aware of this and just trying to generate publicity and interest via shock for what will probably be a subpar game, while passing it off as being artistic/satirical to try and dodge the fact that they made some pretty grotesque shit. That, or they are just delusional. One of the two. But it's very clear the core game is not satire.

Hotline Miami was pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek, backed up by the art style, pop culture references, and repeated allusions to Drive. There's a reason nobody took that seriously.

Postal was even more obviously satire. It was ridiculous at every corner. From being able to pee on people, to using cats as rifle silencers, to the over-the-top stereotypes, to Gary fucking Coleman. Zero people took Postal seriously.
A: What could drive a human to mass murder?
Insanity. Every modern mass shooter has been mentally ill. Really not even a question.
B: What goes in these people's mind?
Dunno, but you won't find out from the game. It's not going to be some deep dive into the mind of an insane mass murderer. It looks like an arcade shooter with extremely graphic violence to stir up controversy.
C: Will you take enjoyment from this?
I won't. There's a world of difference between games with very graphic violence that makes sense in context (Manhunt, Spec Ops) and the typical "free murder sims" (GTA, Saint's Row, Just Cause, Prototype) that are not nearly as graphic. I find the game unsettling. Anyone who is emotionally developed enough to empathize with innocent victims of mass murder will be bothered by the extremely accurate and graphic portrayal of civilian executions in this game. The only people who won't are sociopaths and preteen boys trying to out-edge each other.
D: Kill people without any ethical padding (After playing Spec Ops, this is no surprise. Slapping military helmets on these people wouldn't change the fact you were still killing people)
Except Spec Ops is actually well written and the only reason it works is because of the military setting. There's a world of difference between a sociopath killing civilians in a suburb versus a soldier making some very difficult decisions, trying to find the best outcome even though every path has negative consequences. The idea of following orders versus trying to do what's right versus the fact that even well-intentioned acts can have very bad consequences- these dichotomies are why Spec Ops is meaningful and tasteful. There's not going to be any of that in Hatred.

tl;dr -> This game looks god awful. Besides being in poor taste, it's obviously lacking any artistic or thematic merit. The developers just made a subpar shooter and wanted to get some attention with realistic and gory violence. Their unsupported excuses for the content are only going to be gobbled up by the edgy 13 year olds trying to defend the game they're so badass for playing.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:56 pm

I don't usually lose shit over games like this. Games with beautiful, captivating stories and worlds get my attention. This is just a game with a clearly, and intentionally cliche character that just taking advantage of shock culture. It's not special and it's not really worth noting. Positively or negatively.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm not going to play it so I couldn't care less about the game. I'm irked by people trying to excuse it. It's just abundantly obvious that the developers wanted free publicity by being SUPER EDGY. That kind of gets on my nerves.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Eh, we've seen worse.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Okay I know we were talking about some horrendous shit but Jesus Christ Korban, there are children in this thread

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:10 pm

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:55 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Just because they say it is satirical doesn't mean it's effectively portrayed as such.
Being purposefully edgy was what they were going for. It's a bitch to do without breaking the fourth wall.
One can have the intent of creating satire and fail to do so.
You'd need to see the game first.
The intro is pretty cliche and generic,
As they were going for.
but the actual gameplay seems dedicated to detailed, gory execution sequences.
It's not. Executions make up a small part of what we assume will be the final product. Namely an isometric shooter.
The content shows that it is not tongue-in-cheek at all. The developers are likely fully aware of this and just trying to generate publicity and interest via shock for what will probably be a subpar game,
Doesn't look like it.
while passing it off as being artistic/satirical to try and dodge the fact that they made some pretty grotesque shit.
Funny, it's actually against games as art.
That, or they are just delusional.
Or they made a gory game and decided to show it. Like Hotline Miami serious mode.
One of the two. But it's very clear the core game is not satire.
No, but the message within the game is.

It's not telling you to fuck up some bitches.

Or shoot people up.
Hotline Miami was pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek, backed up by the art style, pop culture references, and repeated allusions to Drive.
I fail to see all of that. And even then that doesn't excuse the fact that this is still better then Hotline Miami, which did far worse things with the even with the pixel art.
There's a reason nobody took that seriously.
They didn't want to face the music that the game was serious?

Postal was even more obviously satire. It was ridiculous at every corner. From being able to pee on people, to using cats as rifle silencers, to the over-the-top stereotypes, to Gary fucking Coleman. Zero people took Postal seriously.
Nope, the first Postal is Hatred. Literally just thas. Isometric, long ass hair, kill everything, trench coat. The differences are minimal, but the original Postal took itself seriously to a degree at least.

Insanity. Every modern mass shooter has been mentally ill. Really not even a question.
Unless you're insane you can't fathom what that means.

Dunno, but you won't find out from the game. It's not going to be some deep dive into the mind of an insane mass murderer. It looks like an arcade shooter with extremely graphic violence to stir up controversy.
Looks more like GTA Isometric and serious mode. Keep trying though.

A common argument among the anti-Hatred people is that it's gonna be shit. Despite seeing only a few minutes of gameplay.

Awwwww.
I won't. There's a world of difference between games with very graphic violence that makes sense in context (Manhunt, Spec Ops) and the typical "free murder sims" (GTA, Saint's Row, Just Cause, Prototype) that are not nearly as graphic. I find the game unsettling. Anyone who is emotionally developed enough to empathize with innocent victims of mass murder will be bothered by the extremely accurate and graphic portrayal of civilian executions in this game. The only people who won't are sociopaths and preteen boys trying to out-edge each other.
I find it hard to empathize with people who have 0 character development and are lines of code that mean nothing (The game knows this).

Those lines of code never really die even. They respawn and die again and again, as programmed.

Except Spec Ops is actually well written and the only reason it works is because of the military setting.
That's not what I meant. After playing Spec Ops the overarching message is that you are still killing people. No matter who.
There's a world of difference between a sociopath killing civilians in a suburb versus a soldier making some very difficult decisions, trying to find the best outcome even though every path has negative consequences.
When you look at it from a spectator, there isn't.

You're still killing people. No matter who they are, you're still killing them. Again, slapping military helmets on Hatred helps nothing. You still do the grizzly things, the difference is only who you're doing it to.

It's just a matter of perspective.
The idea of following orders versus trying to do what's right versus the fact that even well-intentioned acts can have very bad consequences- these dichotomies are why Spec Ops is meaningful and tasteful. There's not going to be any of that in Hatred.
Again, wasn't comparing them.

I was merely stating that after playing Spec Ops you see that there is no difference from this to Call of Duty. People are still dead in the end. And it's all your fault.

And yes, you will shift the blame. Again.

(It's all Konrad's fault)
tl;dr -> This game looks god awful. Besides being in poor taste, it's obviously lacking any artistic or thematic merit.

Why do they NEED artistic merit?
The developers just made a subpar shooter and wanted to get some attention with realistic and gory violence.
You know this how?
Their unsupported excuses for the content are only going to be gobbled up by the edgy 13 year olds trying to defend the game they're so badass for playing.
People defend this game for what it stands for. 2012 - 2014 Was an artistic year for games, something against such games is fantastic. And I doubt this will be as bad as you seem to judge it to be. This was prealpha footage.
Ragdollmaster wrote:I'm not going to play it so I couldn't care less about the game. I'm irked by people trying to excuse it. It's just abundantly obvious that the developers wanted free publicity by being SUPER EDGY. That kind of gets on my nerves.
People can't have differing opinions then you. Got it.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:19 am

I think I figured out why I hate reading Phoenix's posts. Reminds me a lot of myself when I was a smartypants tween who was discovering the world of critical thinking and thought I had deep, profound, non-mainstream opinions about everything. Of course, looking back, I cringe pretty hard at any of my social media content that's 5+ years old, and I can only hope/assume you'll do the same. Oh well!