Labyrinthica: The quest of lima (Demo)

Anything else
Sargon

Labyrinthica: The quest of lima (Demo)

Post by Sargon » Wed May 07, 2008 8:50 am

Yet another game I have started.
I am not sure if you remember, but I tried to work on several games before, and stopped working on them because I didn't like them or any other reason.
This time I have a concept I am very satisfied with, and I am going to finish this game.

The game's website:

http://www.testnum36.com

Go to the downloads section to download the game.
Tell me if you have any problem.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 07, 2008 8:10 pm

I keep dying.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed May 07, 2008 9:34 pm

Pretty cool. The cel-shading and animation looks good. Pattern bosses are always fun :)

Bug report:
If I change the focus (by clicking on another program) while it is loading, it crashes with "The method call is invalid. For example, a method's parameter may not be a valid pointer."

Suggestions:
- With such a large boss model, it is surprising that I am the one that damages him when we share the same space; I would expect to be stomped by his huge legs. This particular boss mechanic might make more sense with a smaller model, like a wizard, archer, or beholder-type creature. Then you can use this huge creature model later to have sort of the opposite battle, where he tries to ram you and you have to dodge and shoot him with arrows.

- His attack is a bit illogical. Why is he shooting discs? Where are the discs coming from? Why do they slide across the edge of the screen? Usually discs are shot from a slot or thrown, but here they spawn in space between his feet. Similarly, discs usually shatter on impact with things, but here they go through me and slide across walls until they disappear.

- It is usually good practice to have at least a brief warning for boss attacks, like playing the sound slightly before the discs are launched, or having some kind of brief charging effect

- The fighting could be much more 'juicy'. Whenever you do damage to the enemy it could show a slash mark above your position, to give a visual aid to the slashing idea without having to make an animation. Similarly, whenever you are hit by a disc it could shatter and knock you back.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 am

Site's under construction

Sargon

Post by Sargon » Thu May 08, 2008 1:38 am

Count Roland wrote:Site's under construction
Hi, I didn't notice the site was not available. It wasn't put as under construction by me. Strange.
Now it seems to work.

Sargon

Post by Sargon » Thu May 08, 2008 1:43 am

David wrote:Pretty cool. The cel-shading and animation looks good. Pattern bosses are always fun :)

Bug report:
If I change the focus (by clicking on another program) while it is loading, it crashes with "The method call is invalid. For example, a method's parameter may not be a valid pointer."

Suggestions:
- With such a large boss model, it is surprising that I am the one that damages him when we share the same space; I would expect to be stomped by his huge legs. This particular boss mechanic might make more sense with a smaller model, like a wizard, archer, or beholder-type creature. Then you can use this huge creature model later to have sort of the opposite battle, where he tries to ram you and you have to dodge and shoot him with arrows.

- His attack is a bit illogical. Why is he shooting discs? Where are the discs coming from? Why do they slide across the edge of the screen? Usually discs are shot from a slot or thrown, but here they spawn in space between his feet. Similarly, discs usually shatter on impact with things, but here they go through me and slide across walls until they disappear.

- It is usually good practice to have at least a brief warning for boss attacks, like playing the sound slightly before the discs are launched, or having some kind of brief charging effect

- The fighting could be much more 'juicy'. Whenever you do damage to the enemy it could show a slash mark above your position, to give a visual aid to the slashing idea without having to make an animation. Similarly, whenever you are hit by a disc it could shatter and knock you back.
Thanks for trying.
I should have commented that this demo does not represent how actuall gameplay will be. But really good suggestions.
I should have also wrote about the "known bug". Currently the demo does not "support" getting back from alt-tabbing.
The gameplay mechanics are actually based on a really old game called Ys. Again, I might have the gameplay be completly different. But this is the general direction.
Thanks again for trying.

Sargon

Post by Sargon » Thu May 08, 2008 1:56 am

Zantalos wrote:I keep dying.
I assume you die because of the first phase of the boss.
So you need to simply walk on him when the disk are shot not in your direction.
The disks are being shot in 3 directions and change the direction clockwise.
This way you can tell in advance which direction he will shoot them.