zoidberg rules

Re: Best/Worst game endings

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm gonna fly out to... America? For my games consoles in the future! :lol:

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:25 pm

250 euros isn't anywhere near 460 dollars. It's 353 dollars. And 300 dollars is 213 euros anyway, which is still exorbitant for what I want to pay for a second console.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:27 pm

Quid as a slang word typically refers to a British pound. I've never heard it used before to refer to a Euro. Sorry about assuming :P

That's still pretty hefty, though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:09 am

No, quid doesn't generally mean pound.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 am

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe ... d=0CBQQkAE

Most common usage, at least. I'm not saying there aren't other definitions for it, but honestly, up until now, the only two I knew were "quid" as the British pound and "quid pro quo" :P

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:54 pm

Same here actually, i hadn't ever heard it used to refer to anything other than the pound...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:55 pm

Quid is used to denote various different units of standard currency, and has been for as long as I can remember.

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Quid is used to denote various different units of standard currency, and has been for as long as I can remember.
To cut the long story short, watch a lets play of the god damn game.
It sucked for me when compared to its predecessors, which were a masterpiece in spewing bullshit and still keeping you interested. Plus, little details were scattered throughout everywhere.
If you haven't played any other MGS game then I would suggest read the plot summary of MGS2 on wikipedia just to see how much bullshit the game throws at you.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Vibhor wrote:To cut the long story short, watch a lets play of the god damn game.
No, I certainly will not. That is the most atrocious suggestion I have ever heard in my entire life. Please refrain from chipping in with your, err, "advice" in future.

Also, I have played ever Metal Gear game except MGS4. Yes, even this one:

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Vibhor, that's seriously a terrible suggestion. Watching the game being played- even if that includes watching all of the cutscenes- is a watered down version of the actual experience.

4's pretty damn nice. It's tough to beat the classics, but I think it did an amazing job with the gameplay; the controls are very smooth and responsive, and probably the best in the series. They've been streamlined enough that gameplay feels much more natural now, but you also have a wider array of actions and options open to you during the game- it basically continues what MGS3 started with its extensive CQC system. My one complaint is that some of the cutscenes near the end get redundant- there's one point in Act 5 where Mei Ling literally explains the same crap three times in a row for about 10 minutes- but other than that, it's an explosive conclusion to the main branch of the series. I say that because Chop Chop: Fruit Ninj- er, that is, Metal Gear Rising, marks what I think is a major deviation from the tactical espionage action that MGS has delivered over the years. It's a fitting end which can get pretty emotional at times.

All in all, there's definitely a reason it's been rated one of the best games on the next-gen market, both by critics and fans.

PS: I didn't spoil too much of the story, to be completely honest. You know that he dies but not when, where, how, why, etc., and those are really the more important factors. There's also much more than that which gets resolved at the end of the game.

Vibhor

Post by Vibhor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:44 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Vibhor, that's seriously a terrible suggestion. Watching the game being played- even if that includes watching all of the cutscenes- is a watered down version of the actual experience.
So you mean instead he should spend assload on a PS3?
Watching a let's play is just as watching your friend play, just in high quality.

Ragdollmaster wrote:All in all, there's definitely a reason it's been rated one of the best games on the next-gen market, both by critics and fans.
3 is the best in the series, again for me, because it had balanced both stealth and action in terms of gameplay whereas MGS4 is more of a shooting extravaganza instead of a stealth game, also the cut scenes are long, overly long. And if I remember correctly I added a "for me" after the worst in the series statement.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Vibhor wrote:So you mean instead he should spend assload on a PS3?
No, he should build a time machine, go back in time, and save himself from buying a 360 and missing out on the PS3 goodies :roll:

3 was definitely more stealth-oriented than 4, but you could still be stealthy in 4- you had a lot of gameplay options.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Vibhor wrote:So you mean instead he should spend assload on a PS3?
No, he should build a time machine, go back in time, and save himself from buying a 360 and missing out on the PS3 goodies :roll:

3 was definitely more stealth-oriented than 4, but you could still be stealthy in 4- you had a lot of gameplay options.
I prefer the XBox. I'd just like to play certain PS3 games.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:43 pm

I like being able to watch games like Metal Gear, it means I can skip past all the talking once I get tired of hearing them yap, and actually see how the game plays later on.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:02 pm

You can do that while you play, too. Except you're actually playing, and not watching someone play.