Best/Worst game endings

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:32 am

I believe Ragdollmaster just got owned.

Nevertheless, a very well-written point...I've nothing to add really because he said everything I could say.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:38 am

Yeah, sometimes you have to read the review and then decide whether you want the game or not.

Here's a hint: if the review lacks a comment about something you want to see in the game, especially if it's a long review, then chances are you aren't going to like the game.

Take Sins of a Solar Empire: I looked at the GameSpot review. It gets a decent score (9.0), but when I read the review, I noticed that the entire game had been done before, in the form of Master of Orion III. The only 'innovation' was that SoaSE was completely real-time. Oh, yes, there's some little 'tricks' that perhaps make it a cut above MoO, but the core gameplay - to me at least - seems exactly the same.

I saw it in EB Games recently. I didn't buy it.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Grayswandir wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:
Blorx wrote:resistance sucked
end of story
and all it's promising is more players for online modes

The only decent part of the game, sadly. But the reviewers seemed to have been drunk upon reviewing resistance. X-Play gave it a 5/5, and GameInformer gave it a 9.5/10. Europe was the only country with half a brain, where it averaged only a 7.5, which is still too high for the game. Those two companies mentioned now have to earn my trust again for making me waste 40 dollars.
:roll: Thats what you get for believing someone elses opinion on the matter of games. Of course, you'll never find a reviewer who's going to be spot on all the time. But, what can you expect from a written opinion about a game. Its interesting how people (in general) will take what a publication has written and then immediately lose faith in the writer if it doesn't meet the buyer's expectations. Most reviewers stand by their ratings of games and software titles and refuse to change what they wrote. Why? Because its their opinion. They have to base it off of what they want out of a game, they have no idea what the reader wants, that would be impossible, everyone wants something different.
usually i won't trust just one opinion
but when you mix the opinions of the IGN and GameInformer critics with the IGN Average Reader Rating of a game, you'll get a pretty good idea of its actual worth

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:41 pm

Blorx wrote: but when you mix the opinions of the IGN and GameInformer critics with the IGN Average Reader Rating of a game, you'll get a pretty good idea of its actual worth
My point; it got fairly high scores when you averaged those.

@Gray: Uh, you honestly need to stop assuming things about people when you haven't a clue what you're even talking about. I got those reviews from the front of the CD case, AFTER I bought the game. I saw it for 40$ and wanted to have an FPS game so I got because it looked alright on the back. I actually didn't read either of the reviews, just saw the scores on the front of the case. And with the destruction of your first sentence, the rest of the paragraph falls apart as I didn't believe in someone else's opinion, which is one of the stupidest things you can do.

@RT: No, b/c of the above paragraph, I believe Gray got owned =P

On-Topic: Most of the MGS games had good endings, right after you owned the big giant robot there was some dramatic cutscene followed by credits and a Japanese song. Usually I couldn't understand crap, especially in MGS2 (how the hell do you get in the city? What the fuck even happened?) but it was shiny.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:@RT: No, b/c of the above paragraph, I believe Gray got owned =P
Not really, no.

WAIT A MINUTE...
Ragdollmaster wrote:Europe was the only country with half a brain
LOL. YOUR GEOGRAPHICAL EDUCATION WAS A FAILURE.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:00 pm

This is the process you should go through when you're in MustBuyThisGameMustBuyThisGame mode:
  • 1. Think "OMGMUSTBUYTHISGAME".
    2. Check online reviews for game to see if other people think it's just as awesome.
    3. Drool about it for the next month or so, checking youtube video after youtube video after youtube video about it.
    4. Mention it repeatedly on forums due to the fact it's all you can think about.
    5. Finally buy the damn game.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:51 am

C&C:RA2... Cornyist story telling EVER!
Ending: Ok, The Soviets get owend with there pants down and off, you then get a hot woman (all though the soviet Chick was hotter, maybe one day I might catch her in the Virgin ilse (Ingame joke)), who tells you you smell. the most DISAPOINTING ENDING ENDING EVER!

the only thing I found amusing out of that game other than the soviet chick was the Soviet Monoluge, you know, the one with the Turtle named Sam (like uncel sam!). Yuri would have been a bad ass if he did not have a name that sounded like a Lesbian Hentai, and a Electrical apendage sticking out of the back of his head, WHAT IS THAT?
who makes these Villans? I Found the Allied campain cornyer than the origonal Transformers.

Game play on the Other hand, Sweet, well designed, balenced and full of many diferent stratagys for combat.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:19 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:@Gray: Uh, you honestly need to stop assuming things about people when you haven't a clue what you're even talking about.
I never said I knew what I was talking about. I shold start writing that in my posts though. It would make for some amusing reading.
I got those reviews from the front of the CD case, AFTER I bought the game. I saw it for 40$ and wanted to have an FPS game so I got because it looked alright on the back. I actually didn't read either of the reviews, just saw the scores on the front of the case.
Well, you didn't say that in the first place. Should you be expected to say that? Maybe, but probably not. However, this is the internet, and something is very wrong with it.
I didn't believe in someone else's opinion[...]which is one of the stupidest things you can do.
Good, I'm glad we agree.
@RT: No, b/c of the above paragraph, I believe Gray got owned =P
I can't be owned. Ever. Because I refuse. I bet its a brain tumor.
Those two companies mentioned now have to earn my trust again for making me waste 40 dollars.
You wrote that, which is what really started my response.
Really, because I like reviewing games myself, and am aiming to do publication reviews on the side (and actually get paid) of an actual job (really, writing pays crap...), I was defending the writers.

------
I know what I'm talking about.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:00 pm

Makrond wrote:Take Sins of a Solar Empire: I looked at the GameSpot review. It gets a decent score (9.0), but when I read the review, I noticed that the entire game had been done before, in the form of Master of Orion III. The only 'innovation' was that SoaSE was completely real-time. Oh, yes, there's some little 'tricks' that perhaps make it a cut above MoO, but the core gameplay - to me at least - seems exactly the same.
Please go play Sins of a Solar Empire before you make judgments like this. The fact that it's in real time is actually a MAJOR change to the core gameplay of the 4x genre.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:16 pm

you know another game with a horrible ending? Republic commandos, you leave the awesomest squad member behind to get pwned, it sucks!

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:22 pm

I love Sins of a Solar Empire. Before this I tried playing Masters of Orion, did some tutorials for like an hour, played a skirmish, threw game away.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:56 am

Did that guy realise that Europe is not a country or did he not read that bit?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:29 am

MoO 3 sucks ass, SoaSE rules. That's what makes the difference.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Did that guy realise that Europe is not a country or did he not read that bit?
well, R_T, considering you've technically said this three times...did you ever stop to think that no one cares?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:50 pm

I said it twice, actually, so you lose. The only people who don't care about not realising their errors are ignorant children.