Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Best/Worst game endings

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:43 pm

I find 1 and 2 were far better than 3.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm

Really? I loved 3. I found it to be much more varied (and longer) than 2, the bosses were spectacular, the storyline in particular was a lot more fleshed out, and most importantly, you're playing as the legend of the series of not some whiny blond-haired chick.

Well alright, that's not actually that important, but still, I'm a bit surprised that you'd consider 2 to be better than 3. 1 > 3 I could understand, but 2's just a particular favorite of mine. I still like it, though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:...you're playing as the legend of the series of not some whiny blond-haired chick.
I don't see what people's fascination with having a go at Raiden is. It's like people think it's the cool thing to do. The game itself alluded to Raiden's femininity, I don't see why someone would complain about him being androgynous. Are people that insecure with their sexuality? He's a video game character, it's not like he's trying to give you a handjob. I don't even think I saw a single handjob in all of Metal Gear Solid 2. 0% handjobs. Imagine!

Anyway, I just enjoyed MGS2's gameplay a lot more. MGS3 got a bit annoying at times with the silly amount of foliage and camouflage types. I don't want or need that type of micro-management in my stealth espionage games. And the hunting for your food! Oh god it was unnecessary. Keep it simple, stupid.

Also, the story was worse in my opinion. MGS2's gripped me a lot more. That fucking Russian dude in MGS3 annoyed the shit out of me. Volkov or whatever his name was. Also, the climax of the game is nowhere near as emotional or striking as some people make it out to be.

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:48 am

MGS1 was basically a remake of Metal Gear 2 for the MSX, but was more streamlined and it was fun, so no complaints. It is a game someone should play at least once.

MGS2 had a lot of cut content, cut corners and changed the protagonist after a third of the game, but I personally don't really hate Raiden, given the crap he goes through the game, and it's fun the way the game utterly shatters the fourth wall.

MGS3 had an interesting setting, a more straightforward plot, better gameplay/cutscene ratio, and I honestly loved the sniper duel with The End, although many players hated that section. It's also interesting how The Boss is pretty much a Mary Sue, but is a likeable one.

I have not played MGS4, since I don't own a PS3, but I'm watching a Let's Play of it and the gameplay/cutscene ratio is on the opposite end compared ot MGS1 and 3. It is partly due to Kojima attempting to resolve each and every plot thread and hole from the previous games, although from what I've seen so far, the execution is pretty sloppy. Which is a pity, because the gameplay itself looks polished and well done.

Speaking of other games, Mercenaries 2 had a pretty lackluster ending. The climatic ending in the first Mercenary had the character racing through what remained of the NK army while participating in a ground assault with a platoon of Abrams tanks, then assaulting a huge fortress/nuclear missile silo alone, fighting the bad guy while he is on a Hind and you are on the ground, all the while nuclear missiles are being fired toward South Korea. Then it end with the character trying to defend a control station while your mission control tries to hack into the missiles and disarm them, and then having to fight your way back, hopefully with the HVT in tow, to an extraction area. It was absolutely epic.
Now, in Mercs 2 the setup is also good, with the character having to fight its way through what remains of the enemy army, and then dropping a nuclear bunker-buster on the enemy underground fortress, before entering and facing the guy that didn't pay you and shot you in the ass. And it's all resolved with a QTE. And you can't even choose if you kill him or capture him: it's decided by how you've handled the previous HVT contracts. That was a disappointing ending. :|

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:14 am

Oh right. This thread was about bad game endings

Um...

Oh. Yeah. Assassin's Creed II. For the most part the story was alright. Not brilliant, but acceptable. It got a bit fuzzy at the halfway point, but never quite fell into bad territory.

Then came the ending. Oh, the ending.

I saw it coming a mile away and assured myself that they wouldn't do something that stupid. And then they did. And then they made it worse.

Arrg.

Ragdollmaster

Re:

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Ren: I didn't like Raiden because he sounded like a 12 year old and was generally, in my opinion, annoying. I'm not saying LOL RAIDEN SUCKS- he's tolerable, but after playing with someone as developed as Snake, it's a little odd stepping into the shoes of this random kid, y'know? MGS2's story was fine, but the end was seriously fucked up. As for the big baddie in MGS3, I didn't like him that much either, but I thought the rest of the characters were brilliantly developed- the Cobra Unit in particular.

EDIT: Also perhaps you would enjoy an alternate version of MGS3.

Oh boy, AC2's ending. Predictable and boring. The final boss fight is also really anticlimactic and feels like a bad movie. "HAHA, I HAVE A MAGIC STAFF." "WELL I CAN SPLIT MYSELF UP." "WELL I'LL JUST STAB YOU." *10 minutes later* "HEY, LET'S FIGHT WITH OUR BARE HANDS." *Ezio defeats le Pope* "I WILL NOT KILL YOU, FOR REVENGE IS BAD DOHOHOHO."

God. And then the final final fight, with Desmond fighting the "Templars"- what the hell? Yeah, so, it's the future. I'm pretty sure they have guns and Tasers. Why on earth would they come in and try to melee the Assassins to death? There's even a section in AC1 where a team of assassins tries to rescue Desmond and you hear them being killed in a gunfight. Then at the end, Mr. Evil Scientist is like "Oh, we'll meet again lololol" and drives away.

For the most part the story offered enough incentive to play, but I really think the end was butchered beyond the point of salvage. I've heard Brotherhood is similarly alright but not that amazing. Don't know what to expect of AC3.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:00 pm

AC: Brotherhood's ending was a cliff hanger in an attempt to link to AC3 (although the game starts off right where ACII ends). Gameplay wise, its basically ACII, but more stuff to explore, some new items and some refined abilities. Oh, and multiplayer, which is pretty cool.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Re:

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Ren: I didn't like Raiden because he sounded like a 12 year old and was generally, in my opinion, annoying. I'm not saying LOL RAIDEN SUCKS- he's tolerable, but after playing with someone as developed as Snake, it's a little odd stepping into the shoes of this random kid, y'know? MGS2's story was fine, but the end was seriously fucked up. As for the big baddie in MGS3, I didn't like him that much either, but I thought the rest of the characters were brilliantly developed- the Cobra Unit in particular.
As developed as Snake? You mean developed as in taken from an American film called Escape From New York and placed into a Japanese video game?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Only his pseudoname Snake/Iroqouis Plissken is from "Escape From New York.", and some other film.

And considering he was in three games in a row (technically 4 counting the beginning of MGS2), he's certainly more developed than ninja kid.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Isn't the Snake is MGS3 an entirely different Snake than the ones in 1,2 and 4?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Yeah, but I wasn't counting 3- Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2. Four games in a row where the protagonist is Solid Snake, the cloned one. At least for the first 1/5th or so of MGS2.
Last edited by Ragdollmaster on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Only his pseudoname Snake/Iroqouis Plissken is from "Escape From New York.", and some other film.

And considering he was in three games in a row (technically 4 counting the beginning of MGS2), he's certainly more developed than ninja kid.
Only the name? Have you watched the film? And seen Solid Snake? :?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Past the fact that they both have brown hair and beards, I'm not seeing the resemblance. He doesn't have a bandanna, either.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:36 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Past the fact that they both have brown hair and beards, I'm not seeing the resemblance. He doesn't have a bandanna, either.
Don't bother. Hideo Kojima has outright admitted it.

But don't worry, he asked permission first.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ke-Creator

Cadrega

Post by Cadrega » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:26 am

Besides, Kojima is an incredible nerd when it comes to cult movies. I'm betting Paramedic's movie discussions in MGS3 were written by Kojima himself. :lol: