Best/Worst game endings

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Best/Worst game endings

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:56 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:You're asking why "He's a developed character" is an argument for Snake being a developed character?
Haha straw man argument. Read my sentences properly in future. You seemed to be insinuating that, if Solid Snake is any way more developed than Raiden that means he's a well developed character. None of the characters in the MGS series are well developed. Good games, awful story.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:09 pm

>You seemed to be insinuating that, if Solid Snake is any way more developed than Raiden that means he's a well developed character.

All I was saying was Snake > Raiden. You're going off on random tangents and ignoring the argument entirely.

>Good games, awful story.

Convoluted, superdense, and over the top, yes. Awful? To each his own, but in my opinion it's one of the better game series in terms of story. It's unique and one-of-a-kind. Its main fault is the fact that the series sets the bar too high for its own story, failing to live up to its own ambitions and hype and inevitably shoving too much content into the games without properly pacing itself, but that doesn't mean the content itself is not good.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm afraid this is one of the few times when I completely agree with Sir Zhukov McKilljoy about something.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 pm

The Splinter Cell games are fun. Sometimes a bit anal gameplay wise, but I like them. I can relate to them more than MGS games.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 am

Yeah, and they have ever so slightly less convuluted and annoying storylines.

Having said that, I prefer the Metal Gear Solid games in terms of gameplay. I only truly liked Splinter Cell 1. That was a great game...

bummer6

Post by bummer6 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am

I'd have to say the game that has the best AND the worst ending in my opinion is Red Dead Redemption... I am not going to spoil it, but it was bad because it made me angry and it made me want to punch the developers. But it was also good because it evoked feelings in me, it made me feel sad and I felt lonely for some reason.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:56 pm

YEAH...what the hell was that feeling of loneliness after the ending of Red Dead Redemption? Makes no sense...it was like I'd lost a piece of myself... :[

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:17 pm

Recently finished Uncharted 2 and I loved it. The entire latter half of the game was an action-packed cinematic adventure, and then the ending itself was a smooth transition into subtle normality. I felt it was quite an appropriate way to close the game.

On some more nostalgic notes, Hitman: Blood Money had an awesome ending, as did Shadow Of The Colossus. Can't really talk too extensively about them without getting into spoilers, but let's say the end of Blood Money was quite the roller-coaster for a while, and then SoTC had a priceless reversal at the end that I still find brilliant to this day.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:On some more nostalgic notes, Hitman: Blood Money had an awesome ending,
Weird, just started playing that yesterday

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:07 am

I had trouble with Hitman: Blood Money. To play it "properly" you had to be really, really stealthy with this really anal objective system, but you could just as easily run around and gun down pretty much everyone and still complete a mission.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 am

Grayswandir wrote:I had trouble with Hitman: Blood Money. To play it "properly" you had to be really, really stealthy with this really anal objective system, but you could just as easily run around and gun down pretty much everyone and still complete a mission.
Yeah, a lot of my missions divulge into me having to gun down everyone to salvage the mission...but it's still fun to sneak around pretending to be an assassin for 10 minutes before I inevitably fuck the whole mission up and turn into JOHN RAMBO.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

Well, the Hitman series in general is relatively brutal, but I love the level of detail put into the assassinations and escapes. It does take a great deal of skill and strategy to pull off a clean job, and I'm glad it's that way- you feel incredibly badass when you succeed.

Also, I lol'd so hard at the Rambo comment.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Yeah, but what we're saying is that when you blow your cover there should be repurcussions. There isn't. If anything it becomes easier once you blow your cover and can just plough through everyone with the SMG. Lack of immersion ensues.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:01 pm

It's a nice way to vent frustration :D You're right, though- Hitman is plagued by the problem that's plagued so many stealth-based games: the devs have given you an easy way out of playing like you're supposed to with limited repercussions. You have to practically force yourself into the immersive experience. True, if you play it "right", you'll get more money as well as the shiny Silent Assassin rating for the mission, but it's not really a large enough boon to justify playing that way.

However, played with a small mix of both- sneaking in most of the way and then firefighting your way out if things go wrong- can still result in a pretty fun experience, like, "Dohohoho I am a sneaky assassin, oh fuck there's the guards, time to yank out an automatic weapon.", as opposed to, "Fuck sneaking, let's just use the automatic weapon from the start!"

tl;dr - Fudge brilliant game when you play it "as intended", but it's a big problem that you have to deliberately try and play like that when it should come naturally and intuitively through the game.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:31 am

Worst Ending for a recent game I've played so far:
The 3rd Birthday - PSP
So you're Aya Brea and you've spent the entire game an amnesica. You've just mopped the floor with the final boss in hopes that it'll answer all the questions the game has brought up about your past and what happened...suddenly, you warp back in time to your wedding and then you see yourself get shot by special forces soldiers and your sister tries to save you by warping her conciousness into your body, shattering Aya's mind all over the universe, fragmenting time and creating the entire mass of evil creatures terrorizing New York and nearly wiping out the entire human race in the first place (Have I lost you yet?). Then you find out, that you aren't Aya, you're Aya's sister, Eve, in Aya's body. Aya Brea is actually dead. You're actually Aya Brea's pre-teen sister who was amnesiac and thought she was Aya. Then you shoot yourself in Aya's body and it brings the universe back into order and stops the evil creatures before they were even created.
Yeah, I don't get it either.