Best/Worst game endings

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Best/Worst game endings

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:25 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:Past the fact that they both have brown hair and beards, I'm not seeing the resemblance. He doesn't have a bandanna, either.
Haha...I don't even know what to say to you. Other than that you're naive. That's understandable.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Honest to god, maybe I have vision problems, but they're not exactly identical. Similar, yeah. But shit, even David Hayter looks a little similar to Snake (in some photos).

EDIT: Also this.

Top: Kirt Russell, the guy who played Snake Plissken.
Bottom: David Hayter, the guy who voiced Snake.

Hmm...

Of course there's no denying the connection between the two. I already knew about his nickname being based off the movie, but I'm not totally sure if his appearance as a character is based off of it. Snake's appearance in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 (in the cover art, at least) was noticeably different from his appearance in Metal Gear Solid. Then again, MGS2, where he resembles Plissken a little more, is where he used that pseudoname. Oh well.

That's besides the point though. He might not be entirely original in name or appearance, but he's still certainly more developed than Raiden, who changes drastically between 2 and 4. (Of course, you haven't played 4, but I imagine you already know about the difference.) Hopefully Chop Chop Fruit Ninja will be able to show that development a little more.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:08 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:*More of you being stubborn.*
Zhukov wrote:Don't bother. Hideo Kojima has outright admitted it.

But don't worry, he asked permission first.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ke-Creator

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:43 pm

That's besides the point though. He might not be entirely original in name or appearance, but he's still certainly more developed than Raiden, who changes drastically between 2 and 4. (Of course, you haven't played 4, but I imagine you already know about the difference.) Hopefully Chop Chop Fruit Ninja will be able to show that development a little more.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Missing the point again. The Metal Gear Solid series was rarely ever about character development.

And the dispute was whether or not the character was based mainly on Plisken, and he very clearly is. Zhukov's link.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Actually...
I wrote:Ren: I didn't like Raiden because he sounded like a 12 year old and was generally, in my opinion, annoying. I'm not saying LOL RAIDEN SUCKS- he's tolerable, but after playing with someone as developed as Snake, it's a little odd stepping into the shoes of this random kid, y'know?
To which you responded when you wrote:As developed as Snake? You mean developed as in taken from an American film called Escape From New York and placed into a Japanese video game?
You, sir, are missing the point.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:27 am

You began to deny that Snake was based on the character. Please admit you're stubborn and wrong.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Sorry, what? I can't hear you over the sound of your wrongness.
Ragdollmaster first wrote:Past the fact that they both have brown hair and beards, I'm not seeing the resemblance. He doesn't have a bandanna, either.
Ragdollmaster then wrote:Then again, MGS2, where he resembles Plissken more, is where he used that pseudoname.
I never outright said "LOLNO." At first, I just didn't think they looked that similar. Then the above happened. Regardless, you're still dodging the main point: Snake as a character in the Metal Gear universe is far more developed than Raiden as a character in the Metal Gear universe. Your counter to that was "Well his name and appearance is stolen trolololol", but that doesn't change his development within the game.

Your move, sir.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:58 pm

What development?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:40 pm

He got old.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:50 pm

How has he changed besides getting old? From what I've seen, he's pretty much a rock.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:45 pm

In the entire saga? In Metal Gear 1 + 2 he's a newbie without much experience in the field and is still wide-eyed about the whole special ops shit. In MGS he's slightly older and, at that point, a legend. It also marks the first moment where he opens himself up emotionally with Meryl, before which he had no romantic interests (at least, as far as the series details) After nearly being betrayed by the government, he has a greater aversion to authority and stops taking orders, instead starting Philanthropy with Otacon, his BFF, so when MGS2 rolls around Snake is essentially doing what he wants to do and not just what he's being ordered to do. In MGS4, it almost returns to the point of accepting orders in that Snake really pushes himself to save the world, again, when he could be off enjoying what few days he has left WITHOUT being shot, burned, electrocuted, and microwaved. At the end when the huge spoiler happens, he also, finally, decides to quit fighting on the advice of Daddy'o, electing instead to spend his last days in relative peace.

Raiden? Raiden goes to the Big Shell, kills some guys, has annoyingly long talks with his girlfriend, and finds out that he used to be a child soldier. Then he goes out and starts drinking, somehow ending up in Area 51 and becoming a ninja.

Yeah, I don't know. Legendary soldier's lifespan vs androgynous blond kid who goes from bitch to badass in no time at all. How on earth could I think that the former is more developed?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 am

Since when is "He's slightly more developed than another character in the same story." an argument for good character development?

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:57 am

...I'm now absolutely convinced that you're trolling. You're asking why "He's a developed character" is an argument for Snake being a developed character?

I give up.

Even if you're trying to say that his development being more extensive than Raiden's doesn't mean he's well-developed on an absolute scale, that's bollocks. Not only is it untrue, it's irrelevant because all I said was he was more developed than Raiden. You seem to agree with me on that. What exactly are you arguing against?

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:27 pm

I've never properly played any of the MGS games, ever, Ive always been more of a Splinter Cell person...