a place to complain about the worst movies you've ever seen

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:49 pm

How do you "look" British? Are you aware she's white and from America, which very likely means she's a distant descendant of a family that was originally from England and became planted in America? Her original surname is actually German too. Would you have said she "looked" German? If I had put her in a line of 10 people of American nationality, could you tell me which one was originally descended from a German?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:52 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:How do you "look" British? Are you aware she's white and from America, which very likely means she's a distant descendant of a family that was originally from England and became planted in America? Her original surname is actually German too. Would you have said she "looked" German? If I had put her in a line of 10 people of American nationality, could you tell me which one was originally descended from a German?
idk how you look a certain European nationality
but for real R_T, you're starting to look like a jackass again...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:09 pm

How so? I'm talking to Colicedus and being perfectly courteous. I'm just asking him how he thinks he can see which nationality a person is by looking at them.

Dude, someone get this Blorx guy a tampon, he's being hormonal. I'm sure Colicedus doesn't have a problem with me questioning something he says since I'm being very civil.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:52 pm

how so?
you knew what he meant
and yet you're isolating the error and questioning it
it's another one of those things that are just too small to care about
not to mention, i've seen things in game reviews and on the news that say things like that
it's not uncommon
it may not make sense to EVERYONE but, in reality it makes sense

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:20 pm

To get somewhat back on topic:

I'm 17, not that it really has much to do with anything.

Yeah, Jolie is white with a tan... I'm not entirely sure what you meant when you said (implied) she isn't, Chainsaw man. Lara Croft was also white with a tan in the original games.

I can't remember what her accent was like in the movies (haven't watched them since they came out), but I think if Hugh Laurie can feign an American accent then Angelina Jolie can feign a British one.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:25 pm

Nah I was just curious about your age.

WAHH WAHH WAHH @ Blorx.

It makes no sense to say you can tell what someone looks like based on nationality, or to say someone doesn't look like a certain nationality. You can say they don't look like a certain ethnicity, because that makes sense. You could say "Why is Angelina Jolie playing an Asian woman's role? She's not Asian!" That makes sense. Saying she doesn't look British makes little sense. Case closed.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:00 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Dude, someone get this Blorx guy a tampon, he's being hormonal. I'm sure Colicedus doesn't have a problem with me questioning something he says since I'm being very civil.
I do not Have a Problem with people Civily Questioning what I know or my opinions, but what I do have a Problem with being mean to Blorx.
Please play nice, and I segest the... no Never mind, Just play nice. I Dont want you ranting and raving about Trapping some one again.
Renegade_Turner wrote:How do you "look" British? Are you aware she's white and from America, which very likely means she's a distant descendant of a family that was originally from England and became planted in America? Her original surname is actually German too. Would you have said she "looked" German? If I had put her in a line of 10 people of American nationality, could you tell me which one was originally descended from a German?
Allthough you make a Valid point of where most Ameracans Came from, Ameraca Is its own culture. I admit, I used bad Choice of Words "European" might have been a better choice. her Acsent is a bit Ameracan.

She must have had a bit of spanish, or Islander blood in her some where, cause she rather reminds me of the Aperance of a Waterd down Morai, she was also a bit blokey as well. Her Skin tone to me was rather Darker than the Orgional Lara, I was one of the First to get the Nude Radier skins, "I" should know.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 am

Chainsaw man wrote:Her Skin tone to me was rather Darker than the Orgional Lara, I was one of the First to get the Nude Radier skins, "I" should know.
Thats a horrible way to determine someone's nationality or origin. Thats like watching an anime and looking at a character with blonde hair and blue eyes and saying, "That person's an American."

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:30 am

...Well... She is darker than the Origonal Tomb Raider, and Laras Back Ground was Bristish Aristocarasy. And yes I did Download a Copy of the Nude Raider skin. :?
Grayswandir wrote:Thats like watching an anime and looking at a character with blonde hair and blue eyes and saying, "That person's an American."
I would think thats more of a Euoropean :?

Im gonna shut Up before I make myself sound any more Insesitive.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 am

Chainsaw man wrote:...Well... She is darker than the Origonal Tomb Raider, and Laras Back Ground was Bristish Aristocarasy. And yes I did Download a Copy of the Nude Raider skin. :?
Grayswandir wrote:Thats like watching an anime and looking at a character with blonde hair and blue eyes and saying, "That person's an American."
I would think thats more of a Euoropean :?

Im gonna shut Up before I make myself sound any more Insesitive.
No, no, my point was that you're trying to judge what her origins are by basing them off of a video game character. Sure, Lara Croft is British, but that doesn't mean that just because someone else has the same skin tone or accent as Lara that she's from the same place. Using video games or cartoons as a comparison is a bad idea in general.

Lets use this image as an example:
What nationalities do these people look like they're from?

Correct Answer:
The pink haired girl is Japanese, the guy in the middle is from Britain (They call it Britannia...), the guy on the right is Japanese, and the green haired girl is who knows what.

The designers of these characters can make up whatever they want.

They could have said, "Lara Croft is a Mexican who lives in China and eats pork and beans for dinner and likes to watch football." They could have still given her a British accent and she's still be Mexican.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:22 am

What Grayswandir said. That's what I was getting at.

I would not have been mean to Blorx if he had not been obnoxious to me first. Just because something is not important to him does not mean it's not important to me. I will discuss whatever issues I see fit. If he does not like it, he doesn't have to join in the conversation.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am

Grayswandir wrote:The pink haired girl…
Pink haired girl? What pink haired girl? All I see is a black haired guy, a brown haired guy, a red haired girl and a green haired girl (why it is green, I may never know for sure) girl.

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:53 am

heh.... Code geass.... Brilliant anime.

As if it mattered in the slightest, I'd call it red or magenta rather than pink. Pink is for Princess Euphemia and for characters who scream and run away, leaving the others to get beat up for them... Karen is more likely to bury those high heels in someone's jaw.

Ironic... CC is the only one dressed relatively Japanese and she's like.... not even human....

@ Bunny... Isn't that kind of red just as strange as green? You see anime ppl with blue hair all the time.

Somewhat back on topic.......... America is the melting pot of the world... You take Asians and Africans and Europeans, ect, ect, and put 'em all together like pieces of Mr Potatoe Head's face and you get the butt ugly americans.... =D ....anyone?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:24 pm

Pretty much man. America is the multicultural metropolis of the world (I always use that phrase to describe it for some reason). There's not really an ethnicity or nationality you won't find a community for there.
BunnyWithStick wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:The pink haired girl…
Pink haired girl? What pink haired girl? All I see is a black haired guy, a brown haired guy, a red haired girl and a green haired girl (why it is green, I may never know for sure) girl.
He obviously means the one on the left.

lol be careful though Blorx might get you for mentioning things like that like I did. You're not allowed do that now apparently!

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:34 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:She has some of the features of Lara Croft.
Image?

On the subject of telling people of different nationalities apart... no.