Realizing Failure When it is so Abruptly Apparent

Anything else
Hale

Realizing Failure When it is so Abruptly Apparent

Post by Hale » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Obviously I have no right to even suggest such a theory, but it has become so blatantly obvious. Do you even realize how worthless this forum is? Are you blind to the fact that it is riddled with spam? Not only are there completely whacked out arguments sprawled around in every forum, but this commiunity has reached the point to which there is no use. Admins are missing, members are disorganized, there seems to be no duty for this unit to fulfill.

Honestly, Lugaru is a superb game and deserves better than all of us, even myself. The possibilities of this game seem to be endless. Mapping, campaigns, challenges, dialogues, why is it that these words almost seem void throughout this forum? Because we've lost interest. Lugaru 2 will take ages to be completed, so we have to shift our focus back on the game at hand; Lugaru 1.

Look, when I was directed to this forum I was amazed. The fact that the game creator himself had an active forum; simply astounding. But it's lived it's meager life, and it yearns for more. We have potential, every member here can make a difference. We can make a countless number of material to be used for this game. I'd love to start some projects, or simply discuss relevant subjects.

The off-topic chat can still remain, but at this point it seems completely absurd. It's a jumble of spam. There isn't even anything any of us want to discuss. If we maintain order and diligence, we can bring back the ones who really can make a difference.

Summary: At the moment, Wolfire forums seems to be obsolete. It's not the members' fault directly, but we can return things to the status quo. I realize that I have only witnessed a fraction of what goes on here. In fact, i could have a complete misrepresentation of the forums. Regardless, this message should be inspiring to at least a few of your fine folks. Anyhow, don't stone the new guy for making a point, but do indeed stone him for being wrong if indeed he is.

-Hale
Last edited by Hale on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:23 pm

I don't think these forums are the best, but I've learned some good things since I've been here. And the forum gave me an audience which to present my campaign. So it's served a decent purpose to me.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:11 pm

The Forum simply is.
Why dose everything need a reason?

Why dose Turner Need a Pourpose?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:41 pm

don't you mean a porpoise rofl, anyway yeah the forums are useless sometimes but they still have uses I think everyone is aware of what happens and you have every right to suggest such a theory since it is blatantly obvious, however the admins aren't always missing and I happen to know that wolfire is moving upwards.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:50 pm

look, hale...i appreciate you being here and all...but i mean, if you'd been here the 3 1/2 years that i have, then you'd realize that, until Lugaru 2 comes out...there's nothing Lugaru related left to explore that we haven't already explored...

Usagi opened our eyes to every possibility and he was one of our greatest members...but he's inactive as of late, because he'd literally done everything he could with Lugaru...and i mean EVERYTHING

really, until Lugaru 2 comes out, we're just a bunch of idiots hanging out on the internet in solemn hope that our wait will end soon

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:50 pm

The forums are what you make of them. If you want a campaign or some new challenge levels that badly, make 'em and then post 'em. If you don't know how, learn how and then make 'em. We might be weird but we're still willing to help people interested in making new content. Personally, the only thing keeping me interested in Lugaru right now is my never-ending quest to get someone's head stuck in a wall. I'm still trying to recreate the situation. Yes, I could create new challenge levels or even a campaign, but I don't have the patience, and I'm not about to go demand someone make one for me. Then why come to the forums at all then? Because the people who frequent the forums amuse me. And amusement is good.
Also, the giant mutated beaver in my house keeps trying to eat all the dust bunnies, causing strange irrational behavior in the society of the miniature pink elephants. Thus, I must visit the forums to keep society in check.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Re: Realizing Failure When it is so Abruptly Apparent

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:01 pm

Hale wrote:Are you blind to the fact that it is riddled with spam?
Yes. I haven't seen a single piece of spam since the great spambot crackdown of some time ago.
Hale wrote:Not only are there completely whacked out arguments sprawled around in every forum, but this commiunity has reached the point to which there is no use. Admins are missing, members are disorganized, there seems to be no duty for this unit to fulfill.
I don't think having no arguments in the forums is of utmost importance, it's not like it's creating discord and unhappiness.

Community reached point of no return? Admins missing? MEMBERS DISORGANIZED? NO DUTY TO FULFILL?! What are you talking about? I'm not aware of admins "Missing". If you're talking about David and Jeff, they're just men of few words on these forums, they're not missing. I'm not aware of members being disorganized, either. Are we supposed to be working on a great project right now? No? Well, why do you expect us to be organized if we have nothing to organize?
Hale wrote:Honestly, Lugaru is a superb game and deserves better than all of us, even myself. The possibilities of this game seem to be endless. Mapping, campaigns, challenges, dialogues, why is it that these words almost seem void throughout this forum? Because we've lost interest. Lugaru 2 will take ages to be completed, so we have to shift our focus back on the game at hand; Lugaru 1.
Wonderful. I'm glad you feel this way. The trouble is, apart from finally delving into the .solid format, we don't actually have much to discuss around here. It's not like Dwarf Fortress where you've always got a new idea for a giant lava-fortress of doom. As for making maps, we've got a bit of that. When someone wants to make something, they post a thread, we talk about it, celebrate the fact that someone made a new map, and move on. You can't really expect much more from us, we're not a huge community.
Hale wrote:Look, when I was directed to this forum I was amazed. The fact that the game creator himself had an active forum; simply astounding. But it's lived it's meager life, and it yearns for more. We have potential, every member here can make a difference. We can make a countless number of material to be used for this game. I'd love to start some projects, or simply discuss relevant subjects.
Then start those projects and threads about relevant subjects, dammit! We'd love to help increase the priority of Lugaru here on the forums.
Hale wrote:The off-topic chat can still remain, but at this point it seems completely absurd. It's a jumble of spam. There isn't even anything any of us want to discuss. If we maintain order and diligence, we can bring back the ones who really can make a difference.
Ohhhh, you mean the people who make lots of posts that don't really mean much… You mean we have to make sure every single post we make gives valuable knowledge of some sort or some other beneficial effect to the community? Surely not. If you don't like the "Spam", don't read it.
Hale wrote:Summary: At the moment, Wolfire forums seems to be obsolete. It's not the members' fault directly, but we can return things to the status quo. I realize that I have only witnessed a fraction of what goes on here. In fact, i could have a complete misrepresentation of the forums. Regardless, this message should be inspiring to at least a few of your fine folks. Anyhow, don't stone the new guy for making a point, but do indeed stone him for being wrong if indeed he is.
Well, witness some more, make your mark on the forums and good luck on your campaign to make the forums a better place than they already are. It's good to finally have a decent new guy here, or at least one that can spell.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:03 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Hale wrote:Summary: At the moment, Wolfire forums seems to be obsolete. It's not the members' fault directly, but we can return things to the status quo. I realize that I have only witnessed a fraction of what goes on here. In fact, i could have a complete misrepresentation of the forums. Regardless, this message should be inspiring to at least a few of your fine folks. Anyhow, don't stone the new guy for making a point, but do indeed stone him for being wrong if indeed he is.
Well, witness some more, make your mark on the forums and good luck on your campaign to make the forums a better place than they already are. It's good to finally have a decent new guy here, or at least one that can spell.
This is probably the truest thing BWS has ever said.

Honestly, this place is pretty lame right now, but once Lugaru 2 comes out I think the problem will fix itself.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:49 am

Hale...do yourself a favor...when you enter the randomness forum, read the "randomness" part. what does this remind you of? off-topic chat? no, that couldn't be it.

as to spam outside of the randomness forum, there isn't much unless doom's been doing stuff i'm not aware of...and that is because members don't tend to contribute to the other 2 forums unless it's praise, recognition, humble questions or knowledge.

really, there's nothing wrong with these forums other than vast amounts of inactivity and an inability spell amongst our members

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Hale wrote: Honestly, Lugaru is a superb game and deserves better than all of us, even myself.
I think that you could have worded that a bit better, using 'even myself' makes it sound like you place yourself above all of the rest of us, although i'm sure that you didn't mean it that way...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:20 pm

i'm questioning the intentions on that one myself, zoidberg
=P

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:26 pm

he's just saying he's not exempted from the statement so people wouldn't get the idea the whole post is talking down on the forum members.

you read into it too much....

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:56 pm

yes of course...but we've established that close to 3/4 of it is...so exempting that one statement from the talking down doesn't exactly make us feel much better...

i'm not so much offended as i am amazed at the fact that a new guy had the balls to post something like this...3 days after he joined, and was enough of an arse to base his entire opinion of this forum on spam created by people like doom and the randomness forum...
AND THEN have the balls to tell us that HE can be jesus and get us into working order

i'm not offended...just idk, you get what i'm saying right?

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 pm

Listen, right now there is nothing interesting or new to do with Lugaru. When Lugaru 2/1.5 comes out, we'll be discussing new stuff for AGES! Then we'll die down until Lugaru 3/2 comes out.

(David announced a game similar to Lugaru with extra features to keep us busy till the planned version of L2 is released. That's what the 1.5 bit is about.)

Frankly I think the forums are fine. We get along, we never let arguments screw us over (unlike some forums...)

And frankly, isn't a forum a place for discussion? We discuss stuff alot.

If you really want us to get back onto lugaru, give us a reason. Even a single map keeps us occupied sometimes.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:33 pm

ZOMG RECESSION! WE'RE IN TROUBLE! HOW WILL WE COPE?

This thread is like the political situation in Ireland.
Hale wrote: We have potential, every member here can make a difference.
Stop acting like this forum is our purpose for living. The forum isn't going to be an amazing spectacle all the time. No forum is going to be able to maintain perpetual interest from its members.

Just take it for what it is.