Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Blorx reviews 360 games

Post by Blorx » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:48 am

and i'm going to start with the only one i've liked enough to beat recently:

Dead Space

Graphics and Physics -
ok, gonna be honest, they're not the greatest. they're average 360 graphics, a step below Gears and maybe right around Halo 3-ish. the one thing that stood out about them though is that none of the textures or models looked unfinished. everything fit. there were no bland spots (unless you count windows as bland).
the guns were pretty awesome graphically. the blasts from every gun were amazing and i could swear i even saw particle effects trailing after some of them. I mean some left a trail of smoke but like i think the more laser-ish weapons had particle trails to make them look cool. and the flamethrower was really life-like. the fire even left blur around it.
every movement that every enemy made was lifelike. nothing was clunky. even the fat ones ran like you'd expect fat ones to run. every detail, down to every wrinkle in the skin was clearly visible. when you killed enemies in zero-g, they immediately lost control and floated off and the blood that would spray out would clot and start floating out on it's own. each limb you cut off would fall like you'd expect them to. they don't fall through the enemy, they don't stay stiff, some will actually spin in air as they fall to the ground. it's pretty amazing.
lastly i'd like to mention the cinematics. a lot of them would happen over your R.I.G. which means a little blue-scale screen would show up either with a video or a music-player looking thing with volume bars about 2 inches out from it. no matter how you rotated the camera. these things would stay relevant in position to your player. they wouldn't start turning, they wouldn't fidget. they stayed in the same place unless you moved isaac.
I'll give graphics and physics an 9/10.

Gameplay-
most people will see this game as a standard third person shooter. i can't really argue, but the unique "dismember to kill" play style, and the zero-g areas are what will set it apart in your eyes. the zero-g areas can be seen almost as puzzles, seeing as sometimes it's a little difficult to know where you want to jump to. another thing i found fun is stasis. you will have fun slowing down any and every enemy you can with it. granted you get only about 5 or 6 shots with it before it needs recharge by recharge station or stasis pack, whereas your other power, kinesis, is unlimited, you will find it fun to slow things down so that you can see them fall apart in slow motion. the main gripe about gameplay that i saw in other reviews was that your camera can be a pain in zero-g areas and that enemies that are tearing you apart may be just out of visibility. i never had this problem, except for with long range enemies, which is pretty understandable. you can't move your shooting arm around 360 degrees, so you're not gonna get to look up and behind you while in aim mode.
you upgrade everything, including the suit, which also gets upgraded in the store, with power nodes, which you can find in random parts of the game or that you can buy for 10,000 credits a piece at the store. you can ONLY UPGRADE AT BENCHES though. you can usually find them near stores
easy mode is pretty standard. anything above it gets to the harder side and if you manage to LIKE seeing yourself torn apart by the easiest to kill enemies, you can play on impossible mode, which you unlock after your first run-through
another thing about this game is that after you beat it, you can run through again with all your weapons and upgrades on the same save file, just as round 2 and so on. you won't be able to max ANYTHING out in the first run through so, i'd recommend playing through again
I'll give gameplay an 8/10.

Thrill-
something unique to horror games that more often needs a spot dedicated to it in reviews is thrill. this game never once failed to bring on some sense of terror that kept me on the edge of my seat. there's a complete sense of paranoia when dealing with other humans in the game, that will just get to you. when there are enemies, you constantly find yourself asking where they're coming from or when the wave will end, or if one's going to come up from behind, wrap it's tongue around your neck, and pull your head off. even when you aren't fighting enemies, you'll constantly ask yourself where they're coming from next. added to the thrill is the unique feeling that every time you die, you're not just falling to the ground. you're getting chopped in half or dismembered in some crazy way that you never thought possible. and if you're like me, and you aren't paranoid about watching for vents, you're going to get scared. A LOT. i don't think i ever played this once when it wasn't completely dark in the room. i even put blankets over the windows in my room to ensure total darkness if it was daylight hours.
I'm awarding thrill a 10/10.

Story-
ok, this is where Dead Space begins to lack a little. i'm not going to ruin it by going into detail with all the plot twists and such, but i am going to give you the gist of it.
there are too many cliches. there are a ton of twists that are unique to this game. but there are also a ton of cliches, and a lot of the game feels taken straight from halo. first off there's this "marker" they took from the planet and is being held on the infected ship. well, turns out it was a beacon, and the "necromorphs," what i aka as the flood, responded. turns out not only do they take over the dead bodies of humans, which in this game either committed suicide or were killed by a separate necromorph, some of which proceeded to skin the poor people, they are controlled telepathically by a mass necromorph entity, dubbed the "hivemind," which i aka as the gravemind. the only visible differences between the gravemind and hivemind are that the hivemind doesn't talk and...somehow the head managed to look nothing like the gravemind, and you actually fight the hivemind, which surprised me.
anyways, after this happens, you and the crew that you're the engineer for are sent to the ship, thinking it's a simple power malfunction or something, and get thrown into this mess. you and the only 2 that survive spend half the game trying to escape the ship, before you see the only black guy in the game, who also happens to be the captain, get brutally murdered by one of the more powerful enemies you regularly fight. (sounds a lot like Sergeant Johnson from Halo, doesn't it?). then you spend a smaller amount of time with this scientist that helped cause the problem and wants redemption by putting the marker back and the remaining survivor from your crew, the chick, trying to escape. i won't tell you the rest, because it'll ruin the point of playing the game. the last chapter, specifically right before you finally get off the ship and the final chapter, will take everything you thought was going on, and prove that you knew nothing.
because of Halo similarities, i'm giving the story a 7/10

Overall-
Dead Space is what would happen if Silent Hill and Halo spawned a child. not only is it fast paced and thrilling, it is the best damn horror game you will ever play. it is the only one that has scared me so badly that i had to finish it because of the adrenaline rush it gave me.
I proudly give Dead Space an 8.5/10.

personal notes:
i think i did well on this review
i gave you just enough info to make you want to go out and buy it, and just little enough to make you more curious about it and increase your chances of buying it
tell me how i did
^^

Lotus Wolf

Re: Blorx reviews 360 games

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:45 am

I think that you did great there. if i had a 360, i would definitely go check it out. Great review, and good analogies about halo and silent hill. i love si-fi horror and this would fit the bill. good job, i'll be reading your next review. :) :wink:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:46 am

359 reviews to go...

...wait, that's not what you meant?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:01 pm

thanks lotus, it took a while to type that all up
xD

and lol ^_^'

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:47 am

How old are you? This is a valid question when you review a game, especially its story.

Your points about Dead Space's story are pretty invalid. If you think Halo invented all of those plot devices, you haven't been around for very long. Do you really think that Halo first began the idea of extraterrestrial creatures taking over people's bodies? Robert A. Heinlein wrote a story in the 1950's with that exact plot device.

The idea of a hivemind? Halo did not create that either. The aliens in Heinlein's book Starship Troopers acted using a hivemind. (Interesting that so many sci-fi games take ideas from Heinlein.) It's even been used in videogames before. A good example of this would be System Shock 2.

From what I've played so far, Dead Space's story is so different from anything in the Halo universe that I don't know how you even drew comparisons. I know Halo is now the modern benchmark for sci-fi games, but that's like saying every sci-fi movie is inspired by Star Wars.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:56 am

I would like to see a game (OTHER THAN MEDIEVIL 2) that looks at the story of Day of the Triffids.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Ok, those of you that have a 360 and live prolly have the New Xbox Experience by now. Well, along with it came user generated games , called Community Games, that are being hosted on Live for 200-400 points on average, with a select few ranging up to 800. the majority are 200 though, because they're Beta games, mostly incomplete ideas, and all are yet to be reviewed by the ESRB or Microsoft for actual published status. Because of the not being rated by the ESRB, they are all rated on a scale of 0-3 for Sex, Violence, and Adult humor or summat like that. Don't ask, i didn't make the scale.

Anywho, my brother and I are going to start reviewing these one by one because they're a little cheaper.

First off, I'm going to review Weapon of Choice (me, not my bro). I'll open by saying that this is just about the BEST side-scrolling 2D shooter you will ever play. I'll also say that this review is based on the first 2 levels.

Story - The basic idea is that there's a massive alien invasion on earth and you and your team have to stop it. There are your boss, the general, who wants you to do it his way, and this alien guy who says that his kind is the last breath of hope to stopping this invasion. You have to use your weapon of choice to decide which of their paths will lead you to success.
NOTE: THE GAME EVEN HAS MULTIPLE ENDINGS.
8/10

Gameplay - Ok, take the world's perfect side-scrolling shooter, and make it that much better. At first glance, the controls are pretty basic for a 360 side-scroller. Move with Left analog, shoot with Right analog, switch weapons with RB, jump with LT. Well, then you also have Manipulate weapons on the RT, which is basically alternate fire, except in that you hold it and shoot as usual. Every team member has 2 weapons, the standard rifle and a crazy awesome weapon. One of the main, crazy awesome weapons is this chainsaw that has a really long laser blade. An example of manipulation of weapons is with the standard rifle, there is a standard shot and then the manipulated shot which is the standard shot except the rifle goes out on a line which you can shoot out past cover and swerve around. In ADDITION TO THAT, you also get a device that grabs onto any surface and lets you hang from or climb on, simply by jumping at it. AND ON TOP OF THAT, you get killed in one shot BUT you don't just get hit and die, you go into "Death-brushing" where it goes slow-mo and dark, and skulls appear in the background. This gives you about 2-3 seconds to get away from whatever is about to kill you. It is also a great way to kill enemies. Another thing unique to this game is that you get operatives by picking them up in the level and finishing the level with them on your back. The only drawback to this is that if you get downed, then the next operative (if any are available) must make the choice which one to save to have for later use. The only thing that I personally didn't like about gameplay is that it plays arcade style, as in it saves the progress you make but if you fail once, you start all over.
9/10

Graphics - Ok, this is where the game straight up awesome and weird at the same time. The environments would be like your usual mountaintop environments, except they're extremely colorful, everywhere from the foreground to the background and you will see vibrant shades of every color everywhere you go. The aliens literally look like a crack addict came up with them. There was literally an alien that looked like a praying mantis with 6 cow utters and a shark's head. Another looked like an eyeball with wings that it also could walk on. Nothing in this game looks the slightest bit normal, which is great, actually. The blood from every one of them is rainbow colored and just amazing to watch come out of the things. The Death-brushing is even done really well graphically.
10/10

Physics - This needed it's own section. EVERYTHING has great physics. Enemies get knocked back by your hits, flying enemies can get knocked out of the sky, tree limbs bend when you jump on or hang from them. Hell, the backpack climber has great physics involved, as you swing as you move along. They even managed to pull off the ragdoll thing for dead enemies, which is pretty good for a 2D game.
10/10

I proudly give this unfinished indie game a 9.5/10

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 am

sounds pretty sweet, i wish i had a 360... damnit... :P

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

I'll have to check it out.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:24 pm

awesome ^^

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:18 am

Blorx wrote:...the BEST side-scrolling 2D shooter...

Story - The basic idea is that there's a massive alien invasion on earth and you and your team have to stop it. There are your boss, the general, who wants you to do it his way, and this alien guy who says that his kind is the last breath of hope to stopping this invasion...
Ten bucks says whoever made this played ABUSE.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:21 am

I'm not sure what to think of Weapon of Choice. It isn't bad, but its missing something and I really couldn't get into it. I like the simplicity, it makes it easy to pick up and play for a quick fix, but it isn't something that would immediately pop into my head if I was recommending a game to someone else.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:23 pm

it may just lack intensity for you, seeing as you're usually fighting 2-3 tough enemies, rather than hundreds of weak ones.
the boss battles are pretty insane
but it lacks intensity everywhere else
and you may desire that intensity in it's style of game
i personally like it either way
but that's me

Fetterkey

Post by Fetterkey » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Blorx wrote:...the BEST side-scrolling 2D shooter...

Story - The basic idea is that there's a massive alien invasion on earth and you and your team have to stop it. There are your boss, the general, who wants you to do it his way, and this alien guy who says that his kind is the last breath of hope to stopping this invasion...
Ten bucks says whoever made this played ABUSE.
Man, ABUSE was tight.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:06 pm

Yeah, ABUSE was crazy good.

It's also a pretty big claim to say that Weapon Of Choice is the best side-scrolling 2D shooter game, considering games such as Metroid, ABUSE, Earthworm Jim, Metal Slug and Alien Hominid.