obligatory introduction thread

Anything else
Christoph680

Re: obligatory introduction thread

Post by Christoph680 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Hey all! My name's Philipp and I'm a german ^^

I'm currently involved with Illuminated Games, developing our first game, Deus Vult (working title) ;)
I really love this whole website, especially the blog! It's quite rare these times to see such in-depth detail on development processes including abnormously good graphics ^^

You guys really deserve my respect!

a13w

Post by a13w » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 am

Greetings. Real life name is Alex as that seems to be what most everyone is putting down.

I spotted the deal for both NS2 and Overgrowth on MODdb and, since I had been eying NS2 ever since it showed a video of dynamic infestation, I decided that the support of two indie developers for the price of one was too much to resist. Also the awesomeness of both engines played a part in my decision. :)

I am a programmer though have not done anything terribly popular which I can attribute to my name. I really cant wait to see further developments of both of these wonderful games and wish great luck to their respective teams!

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 am

Yeah - dynamic infestation looks really cool and yet... I have absolutely no idea how it's going to work in the actual game :o

RobLikesBrunch

Post by RobLikesBrunch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:15 am

I'm Rob. I'm the quintessential asshole of the internet. I like knitting, the gentlemanly sport of polo, and inserting my naughty bits in places that naughty bits aren't generally inserted. In my free time, I enjoy meticulously drawing out the entire Mandelbrot set. Despite the fact that I've dedicated every Saturday of last year to this activity, I've found that I'm no closer to completing the set. Maybe next year.

I also enjoy listening to The Kink's "Lola". It's the only song I listen to.

Epic Llama

Post by Epic Llama » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi, I'm Llama, OK Danny.

I like furry things, mostly llamas but bunnies are cool too. Looking forward to playing Overgrowth. Don't really know what else to put. Oh I am also a programmer (in the sense that I *can* program, I have never contributed more than 4 lines of code to any one project) and also done a bit of software testing. Student. Should be working right now in fact. Oh and I am from England.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:06 am

RobLikesBrunch wrote:I'm Rob. I'm the quintessential asshole of the internet. I like knitting, the gentlemanly sport of polo, and inserting my naughty bits in places that naughty bits aren't generally inserted. In my free time, I enjoy meticulously drawing out the entire Mandelbrot set. Despite the fact that I've dedicated every Saturday of last year to this activity, I've found that I'm no closer to completing the set. Maybe next year.

In the words of Dylan Moran...

RobLikesBrunch

Post by RobLikesBrunch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:05 pm

Wilbefast wrote:
RobLikesBrunch wrote:I'm Rob. I'm the quintessential asshole of the internet. I like knitting, the gentlemanly sport of polo, and inserting my naughty bits in places that naughty bits aren't generally inserted. In my free time, I enjoy meticulously drawing out the entire Mandelbrot set. Despite the fact that I've dedicated every Saturday of last year to this activity, I've found that I'm no closer to completing the set. Maybe next year.

In the words of Dylan Moran...
It is you whose occupation exists in a strange world non-existence yet existence such that as I read your post, you're shifted into physical existence....where, lamentably, you die of poison due to radioactive decay. How unfortunate.

So if I am strange, then you're perfectly absurd yet wonderfully rational.

I apologize for any mistakes--I only have recently obtained a book on quantum mechanics and am rather new to it. But that will all change in the next six minutes or so.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 am

Ah, then allow me to explain:

My position can only be known if you are observing me: in other words, unless you're looking directly at me I am everywhere and anywhere. If you blink I disappear off to China. I am also simultaneously dead and alive, but you can only observe me as either dead or alive at any given time. So long as you observe me in one state I won't change, but if you look twice I may. Or I may not. My existence is thus altogether defined by you, reader - how does that make you feel?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:27 am

Slightly ill. Would cameras have the same effect or do you have to be observed by a sentient being, or even more specifically, a humanoid sentient being?

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:19 pm

What you have to understand Glabbit is that the very act of measuring me has an effect on my state - there's no such thing as an independent observer! After all, you might think that thought is independent of matter but it isn't: the changing electrical potentials within your brain are enough to alter my physical state! And perhaps you catch me on camera but don't review it till later: no matter, because the reverberations created by your thoughts will echo through space-time, effectively changing the past - for what is the past is not a series of material records in the present?

Who controls the present controls the past: who controls the past controls the future :mrgreen:

EdgarVerona

Post by EdgarVerona » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Hi everyone! =) Just came over from the NS2 camp, and I'm extremely impressed with Overgrowth so far! Very nicely done!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Now testify, Wilbefast.

Are you saying, if I observe someone on TV and my observation leads to me making a judgement on them based on what I see, that somewhere down the line this observation will directly affect them? Your linguistics mess with my head.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:48 am

Edgar: yo!

Ren: even the smallest electro-chemical changes in your brain have a ripple effect that alters the polarity of nearby photons, which themselves can influence the electro-nuclear fields of atoms, causing vibrations in the molecules they compose, making a butterfly flap its wings extra hard. The results is a sweeping change that effects the very fabric of the entire universe.

So next time you're thinking of thinking - think twice!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:57 am

Wilbefast wrote:So next time you're thinking of thinking - think twice!
I think I just fell in love... thrice.

Sandlion

Post by Sandlion » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:33 pm

Well, I've been a member of the forum for a while without really posting, sooo...
Basics, I guess. I'm Emily, nearish the age of 16 from the US of A.
Smart part-time, nerd full-time.
I found lugaru a loooong time ago, back when my dad played computer games- he got the demo off of some mac magazine and we had fun not understanding the tutorial (... I'm not really sure how I got confused). Years later, I re-found it and here I am.

As for hobbies, I'd say art. And video games. Also procrastination.
... back to chemistry homework...