*Burp*
Sorry.

Anyway, I'm, er...
*Scroll down the list*

...a mosquito?

Kestril

Re: obligatory introduction thread

Post by Kestril » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:18 pm

Hey, I'm you're typical high school drama nerd. I write some in my spare time, but haven't amassed anything I'm willing to put out in public, but I have some good Ideas a-swimmin' around in there. Also, I'm a junior and enrolled in collage level physics, calculus, and English and literature. So, maybe I'm not so typical. Anywho, I'm an avid gamer and the Christmas giveaway got me hooked on Lugaru, and therefor Overgrowth.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:41 am

Welcome, Kestril!

A writer bloke, eh? Excellent! Finally some fresh vocabulary in the place!
*bows, nods, and wiggles his eyebrows. Then does a backwards somersault into a pool of lava*

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 am

Hey all, I'm Will - I was born in England but I've spent as long as I can remember in Australia, and I'm now doing university in France. I love Philosophising, can speak three language, practice three martial arts and really enjoyed Lugaru :)

I'm try to get a bit of an unqualified consensus on what sort of education would best help me with my Game Making - you can find it here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4438&p=67200#p67200

Cheers!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:12 pm

Martial-Artist Philosopher!
YES!
Bring in the Intellectual Wisdom!

I top my hat to you, sir. You are welcomed to the Wolfire forums. A place of leisure, flaming, peacemaking, and ridicule. Watch your step when speaking, or be prepared to barge right through any opposition!

I repeat, you are most welcome here.
But I warn: Be prepared!

*throws cloak around himself and disappears with echoing evil laughter*

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 am

hey cool someone who's got an education, get lots of people on here pretending to have that. philosophizing is definitely fun. do you mind if I ask what language and what martial arts? and to what degree you speak and practice them? good luck on the game making, I think you should get a small degree of all the different kinds you listed there, they're rather closely linked. I'd follow davids opinion mainly though if I were you, you know get the proper education and all but learn to think unorthodoxly and all that. hahahahaha yeah enjoy the forums not everyone gets a nice welcome.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:02 am

Count Roland wrote:hey cool someone who's got an education, get lots of people on here pretending to have that. philosophizing is definitely fun. do you mind if I ask what language and what martial arts? and to what degree you speak and practice them? good luck on the game making, I think you should get a small degree of all the different kinds you listed there, they're rather closely linked. I'd follow davids opinion mainly though if I were you, you know get the proper education and all but learn to think unorthodoxly and all that. hahahahaha yeah enjoy the forums not everyone gets a nice welcome.
Apart from the lack of paragraphs...

Yes.
Yes, I completely agree.

Answer those questions! =D

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:54 pm

paragraphs are for people with education. or with a steel rod in unmentionable places.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:31 am

do you mind if I ask what language and what martial arts?
Oh dear, now you've asked for it: I shall have to be long-winded, and bore you all to tears with the details of my truly inconsequential life - everyone thank the French for teaching my to pad out everything I say :D

Martial arts
I did 5 years of "traditional" Taekwondo in Australia, which is like "sport" Taekwondo minus imaginary the straitjacket, and got my black belt just before leaving for France. Now that I'm in France, where the universities offer unlimited sport for 15€ a year, I've started doing Aikido and Karate as well, so that's about 6 months of 3 hours a week of each - I'm hardly an efficianado at either, though Taekwondo lends itself to Karate pretty well.

Education
I speak French pretty much as well as English: I passed the French Scientific Bachelor's at 17, which is to say History/Geography, Sport, Litterature, Philosophy, Mathematics, Second Language (English), Third Language (Italian), Physics/Chemistry and Geology/Biology exams in French as though I was a 17 year old French person. I also did better than a vast majority of the French population, though I'm not sure if that says more about me or them. I speak Italian well enough to be understood, in the sense that I could order a pizza, but I couldn't throw myself in a polemic about Plato's Republic.

Games
In terms of Gamemaking, I've been doing it, without realising, as long as I can remember: when I was little I'd either lie to my brothers about some "cool new game that's coming out" (that I actually made up) or force them to play my pen and paper stuff. Later I got into the Warcraft 2, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 map-editors, where I learnt do some very simple algorithms and Level Design (most of my maps are lost in the sands of time though), and finally before exams took over my life I got into Gamemaker, made a few little games, one that you can still find on this thread:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?s=f3 ... 99939&st=0

Because of the full on timetable I've never really had the time to do any programming or game making courses - I really want to start building my own engine though, Game Maker can be quite contraining at times, and I'd like to do some 3D stuff too, though I'm unsure of exactly where to start - Gamemaker GML can have a simply game up and running within minutes, which is fantastic for testing gameplay mechanics, but if I want to write something in C... Basically, I have scores of Game Design ideas kicking around that I can't work on because I lack the education required to bring them into the world.

Philosophy is, in a way, the art of talking a lot without saying anything - no wait, that's politics :wink:

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:35 pm

Aikido ftw.

Sometimes it's hella fun to threaten people with an Irimi.

Huh? Yeah? I can do Aikido, ya know! You want me to pull an Irimi on you? Huh?
Right then!
*takes a step forward*

And then comes the funny part, when they don't realise you've already done what you said you'd do.

Wilbefast wrote: Philosophy is, in a way, the art of talking a lot without saying anything - no wait, that's politics :wink:
Hah! Yes, well said. Well said indeed. xD

Retsaki

Post by Retsaki » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Hello, i'm new
I love all of your games Wolffire devs, infact I plan on preordering Overgrouth, buying Lugaru
I'd also like to buy a T-Shirt supporting Wolffire games but huh....There's no shop.
huh =P

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:33 pm

Retsaki

Post by Retsaki » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:07 pm

ah okay!
well they should advertise it better
no offense :)

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 pm

hahah I don't think anyone takes any, they should advertise it better though. welcome btw. enjoy your shirt.