Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:09 pm

Anyone play the new Shin Megami Tensei game for the PS2? Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES. It's an anime-styled RPG (i.e. lots of anime cutscenes and the sweatdrops etc.) with lots of elements from other game genres.

I wanna know if anyone else thinks it's good, because there's loads of people who have raved about it. It got brilliant critical reviews from official gaming magazines and websites but also from readers reviews on many websites.

I saw it in Game Stop today for like €24.99 or something. I think I'm gonna get it.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:54 pm

I've played the original Shin Megami Tensei for the SNES (which the PS2 version is a remake of).

From what I've heard, its good (Hooray, blowing your own brains out). However, here's a heads up about Persona games in general: They're confusing, the games themselves use a convoluted, rather information heavy, system that requires you to know a bunch of different pieces of information. You can easily screw yourself over if you don't know what you're doing. They're also wordy...wordy as hell. Not entirely a bad thing, but its excessive sometimes, even for a J-RPG.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Like how? In terms of plot, or in terms of puzzles, or in terms of commands during battles?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Its mainly the ability system that's complicated, plus there's a lot to learn about conversing with monsters and learning when and when not to kill enemies for experience. It can get overwhelming sometimes.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:39 pm

yeah i did but i don't have my copy on me
i wish you could party with people online though
that would be pretty cool
^^

Starrz

Post by Starrz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:08 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I saw it in Game Stop today for like €24.99 or something. I think I'm gonna get it.
where are you from, turner? i thought cm and bws were the only people not from america.

not that i mind...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:38 pm

NNngrrrgh… Check his location info, it's right next to his post. WATERFORD, IRELAND. :roll:

Sorry.

Starrz

Post by Starrz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:42 pm

Thanks. i always do stuff the hard way by accident XD

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:00 am

Thanks for the input guys.

I can handle that, Ben. I don't mind complexities. In fact, I prefer it not to be so black and white. Battle systems and controls with a twist generally get the most response out of me. That's why I enjoyed games like Saga Frontier 2 and Grandia so much. Like the old reliable system like Final Fantasy generally uses is great, but a bit of a twist in Turn-Based RPG's is fun.

Did you not think it was any good, Blorx? You seem like you do. What's good about the game?

What I'm interested in is the content. There's supposedly like 90-100 hours gameplay if you include the added chapter in the game re-release.

Although the music sounds quite cheesy.

And there's plenty of people from outside America. Are you silly? Look at all the languages the game was translated into!

To name a few, there's rudel_lc from Germany, I think crill3 was from Sweden or something, Makrond was from...New Zealand? Maybe. Not sure. There are others.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:38 am

ha
i liked combat, it was pretty fast paced considering it was turn-based and all
also liked the art style...it was all cool...like a darker version of tales of legendia's art

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:56 pm

i'm starting over in the game
i'll tell you what i thought of it after a day or two of play

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:07 pm

Ahh, interesting. I've just altered your life in many ways. By creating this thread and asking such a question and causing you to take so much time out to play a game which you probably wouldn't have played again otherwise, I have changed not only the choices you will make in the future and the paths you will follow, but also the friends you will make and even the moment and nature of your death.

Yes, these are the things I think about when I'm given the time.

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:42 pm

Very philosophical Ren.

...And creepy

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:38 pm

OK!
i've logged 12 hours on Persona 3 FES this week alone...technically since wednesday
i just beat the 3rd full moon, where you fight the emperor and empress...they were a pain cuz i was only lvl 13 when i fought them. i don't think i'm going to tartarus enough (only made it to the 20th floor) and i don't think i'm lvling enough...
i also think i need to spend some friggin money on new weapons and armor for akihiko and junpei. yukari and i are set but the other two are taking too much damage and not dishing enough out.
my current best persona is slime, which is lvl 14
my greatest social link is with kenji, and it's lvl 8
next i think is lvl 6 with kazushi
and then lvl 5 with yuko
idk after that
i'm loving how every one of your stats attributes to the choices you make.
luck, strength, etc are all attributed to which persona you lvl and which you don't
who you hang with or who you date attributes to how much extra exp your persona gets when you create it, i had one go up 3 lvls when it was created
and charm, academics and courage are all attributed to where you eat or how you spend your time
the only thing that i EVER wished could be fixed was that officer kurosawa's reserve was open in the evening so that i don't have to go during social link time...but then i realized you can run to the mall and come back and spend time with social links haha
it's a great game...i recommend to anyone who likes RPGs

REN!
tell me how far you've gotten and how our progression lvlwise compares.
i'm currently on 6/10 i think
lvl 14 only b/c i finally won the battle against those 2 after going through the day of the full moon 3 times cuz there was no save point any time during that day
btw with the added content it's anywhere b/t 80 and 150 hours of gameplay

and GRAY!
i played an english patched rom of the original SMT for the NES on an emulator a while back.
it's NOTHING like that
combat is totally different
and like...it's not nearly as hard
and persona are a LOT different than the monsters that you ally with
i never beat the first boss in SMT
hell, it's completely revamped from the first Persona game
i wouldn't know about the second though...i never played it

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:06 pm

Blorx wrote:i played an english patched rom of the original SMT for the NES on an emulator a while back.
it's NOTHING like that
combat is totally different
and like...it's not nearly as hard
I'd forgotten about the original Megami Tensei (Digital Devil) for NES, I was talking about the one for SNES, which is a remake of the ones for NES. I got my facts wrong, the ones for PS2 are a continuation of the remakes for SNES.
and persona are a LOT different than the monsters that you ally with
Well duh, but that was one of the major features of the game besides killing stuff and rumor making.
i never beat the first boss in SMT
hell, it's completely revamped from the first Persona game
SMT and Persona are seperate storyline wise (besides the fact that SMT used 1st person and Persona used 3rd person views). Persona is a spin-off series of the original SMT series.
i wouldn't know about the second though...i never played it
SMT2 was pretty much the same as SMT1 but better graphics, more complicated monster conversations and it assumed that you took the neutral path in the first game.