36%
No
64%

Total votes: 114

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: Are you a furry?

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Endoperez wrote:The first one is just a picture of an anime-stylized human that is said to be a warship. Furry art isn't any stranger than any other art, but it's definitely less weird than art that says the thing that it shows is actually a thing that it doesn't look like. I mean, sheesh, where's the logic in that?
Here, is this better? :P
Any way, if furry art has one fault, it is that so much of furry art looks the same, and kinda crappy. So many furry artists are basically young teens more or less copying other teens' art.
That's actually an interesting point, a lot of the "furry" art I see reminds me of Disney art, which just does not appeal to me at all.

On a related note, I love the kind of art I put in the previous post. But, I know of its faults. "Anime art" is an animation style used to save time, so everyone's faces generally look the same:
...hell if you took off everyone's hair you could barely tell them apart if it was a school setting. Art in manga is more detailed cause they have more time, generally there's a strong use of color that appeals to me, but I suppose that varies from artist to artist. I'm going to make the same generalization that you made above in that a lot of the art looks the same even if the characters are varied, it all starts to blend together. Which is why anime and manga art tend to get lumped together.

Here we go, found an example.
Reactions to furry art and fandom of furry art are not reactions to anthropomorphic art style. That's different. The reactions are to what people assume is part of being a furry fandom/culture/circles. I never really got the hate, myself. Seems pretty similar to the Tumblr hate, or anime hate, or western cartoon hate, or whatever. Pony hate. Haters gonna hate, unfortunately...
People tend to generalize in wide sweeping motions when it comes to things they don't like. I cut out the bottom part of your post to save space, but I love all the art you posted below.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:27 pm

I love your example images! Yeah, anime can be derivative too. I think there's at least a bit of variation between different series and studios. And some studios get the budget to put in different faces in characters, even in the background. Well, sometimes.

No, that ship isn't a better "warship girl" character thing but something even worse than that exists. It's basically that kids' train show, but with tug boats, with frozen plastic faces. Scary stuff.

I hadn't noticed anime had that bad of a sameface-problem. I tend to avoid most shows, though, there's rarely anything on that keeps my interest. Anime tends to do action well, and also tends to re-do certain jokes over and over again which is fine if you like them... but good writing seems rare. And having a story actually finish is so rare, too...

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:09 am

If those are your only gripes with anime, might I recommend Psycho-Pass, Shinsekai Yori, and/or Steins;Gate? I think those are fairly good examples of anime with good writing, and ends.

Though I hear Pyscho-Pass is in the process of getting a second season? Still welcome I guess. I wonder what they're going to do with it.

Just an aside. I have nothing of interest to add to your grown-up conversation. Carry on.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Glabbit wrote:If those are your only gripes with anime, might I recommend Psycho-Pass, Shinsekai Yori, and/or Steins;Gate? I think those are fairly good examples of anime with good writing, and ends.

Though I hear Pyscho-Pass is in the process of getting a second season? Still welcome I guess. I wonder what they're going to do with it.

Just an aside. I have nothing of interest to add to your grown-up conversation. Carry on.
I thought this was about whether we approve of internet strangers' interests on characters drawn in a specific style? I'd say we're still as on-topic as this thread ever was.

I started Psycho-Pass, but it didn't catch my attention. Probably a matter of theme, I'm generally not a fan of darker works, with some exceptions. I enjoy themes such as hope and heroism more, generally.

Steins;Gate was good as long as its writing stayed coherent, but unfortunately it done goofed the science pretty badly even for a series built around time travel.

Shinsekai Yori actually did come up when I tried looking up something completed and worthwhile to watch. Definitely on my to-watch list, but not a big priority.

I looked into Gate, and Overlord. Gate has an interesting idea, but did they really have to add in a harem and what seems to be the beginnings of a global anti-Japan political conspiracy-thing?
Overlord, well... It's an interesting idea, but did they really have to add in a harem? Really, a guy turns into a skeleton who has no human desires or emotions, and the first thing he does is fondle a woman's breast as she moans excitedly?

I think the last time I saw a series with good action was Busou Renkin.