Lugaru 2D (current status)

Anything else
User avatar
rebel28
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by rebel28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:13 pm

Me and my friends are going to attempt to make a lugaru 2D game.
This afternoon I made the intro and main menu, here

I haven't started on character, map or texture making because of the error I told about in my Stupid .NET error.
Last edited by rebel28 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Groveller
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Groveller » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:56 pm

I think that may be the wrong link. Unless the intro to 2garuD is a 30 second WMV of a drop of water.

User avatar
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: South Carolina, United States
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Blorx » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:42 pm

yeah that's a bit odd...and i dun see a main menu

but yeah, there was an earlier attempt to make a 2D Lugaru game...except the guy was programming in AppleScript :lol:
and a Lugaru MUD
haha
hope this works out ^^

good times...good times...back when i was a helpless, useless noob, volunteering to do anything to cure boredom...ah, 11 was a fun age...but 15 is so much better...i feel like less of a [email protected]$$...except when it comes to women...then i still feel pretty stupid haha

EDIT: what kind of game do you plan on making this?
just a little info i thought i'd ask for to get a feel for the game ^^

User avatar
rebel28
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by rebel28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 pm

o crap, wrong link
(I uploaded to files at the same time, must've got them mixed up)

Here

I've checked it, it works

User avatar
rebel28
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by rebel28 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Blorx wrote:yeah that's a bit odd...and i dun see a main menu

but yeah, there was an earlier attempt to make a 2D Lugaru game...except the guy was programming in AppleScript :lol:
and a Lugaru MUD
haha
hope this works out ^^

good times...good times...back when i was a helpless, useless noob, volunteering to do anything to cure boredom...ah, 11 was a fun age...but 15 is so much better...i feel like less of a [email protected]$$...except when it comes to women...then i still feel pretty stupid haha

EDIT: what kind of game do you plan on making this?
just a little info i thought i'd ask for to get a feel for the game ^^
lol, I'm 15 and I'm trying anything to cure boredom :D

and the game will be acap(as close as possible) as I can get to lugaru, only 2D

User avatar
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: South Carolina, United States
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Blorx » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm

dude
i'd love to see a Lugaru type RPG
but the only thing i can program in is Flash and not even fluently
not to mention, i'm terrible with graphics design
so it'd be Dotagu, the major failure all over again
lmao

User avatar
rebel28
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by rebel28 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:09 am

I can only code in Python (and I'm still a beginner)
but I'm pretty good at designing stuff

Skofo
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Skofo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:17 pm

.NET error? So it's Windoze-only? :(

If you're using Python and want to make cross-platform games, I'd look into Pygame and Pyglet.

User avatar
rebel28
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:48 am
Location: United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by rebel28 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 am

Skofo wrote:.NET error? So it's Windoze-only? :(

If you're using Python and want to make cross-platform games, I'd look into Pygame and Pyglet.
If your saying my game is windows only, it shouldn't be.
the .NET error is from a graphics program I use.

And I'm already learning Pygame.

Sargon
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:58 am

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Sargon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:14 pm

It says "Cannot find the specified file. Make sure path or file name are correct" Something like that.
But then I alt tab, and wait for a while, and it loads.
I got to the main menu, but I cannot choose any option with the mouse. I tried pressing all sort of keys on the keyboard, and it didn't respond.

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:57 pm

rebel28 wrote:
Skofo wrote:.NET error? So it's Windoze-only? :(

If you're using Python and want to make cross-platform games, I'd look into Pygame and Pyglet.
If your saying my game is windows only, it shouldn't be.
the .NET error is from a graphics program I use.

And I'm already learning Pygame.
Well why is the file an EXE file?

User avatar
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: South Carolina, United States
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Blorx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:03 pm

so...it'll run in Crossover Games (for Mac and Linux people)
but i had the EXACT same problem that Sargon did

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Posts: 494
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 1:30 pm
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:59 pm

I tried crossover before, and the trial ran out and I don't buy many things for my computer.

User avatar
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:01 pm
Location: South Carolina, United States
Contact:

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Blorx » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:35 pm

Crossover and Crossover Games are different :P
but yeah it works in COG but not CO
and runs just like it does on Windows apparently
but that's probably due to the fact that the intro and menu are all that exist as of yet

Skofo
Posts: 545
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:44 pm

Re: Lugaru 2D (current status)

Post by Skofo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:35 pm

Blorx wrote:so...it'll run in Crossover Games (for Mac and Linux people)
but i had the EXACT same problem that Sargon did
You don't get it. The .NET framework does not work for Crossover nor Wine. If his game uses .NET, it will not be able to run on non-Windows platforms at all. Plus, things in Wine/Crossover naturally have a worse experience than in the platforms they were made to run natively for, so why not just make them work for various platforms off the bat?

Also, to fix the .NET error, you pretty much have to install .NET 3.5 like it asks you to. Sorry. :? You should try a non-.NET graphics program, like GIMP! Also, right now I'd focus on fixing the video link so it actually shows the intro and menu, instead of a goop render. :wink:

P.S. Crossover is just Wine inside a neat little installer package and sold mostly to Mac users. Crossover Games didn't run my games even a smidge better than Wine.

Post Reply