Yar
75%
Naw
25%

Total votes: 12

Skofo

Custom emoticons?

Post by Skofo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:32 pm

I never really liked the default set of emoticons. They're inconsistent and kind of plain. :?

I know some of you may not agree with me on that point, but how do you guys feel about custom emoticons? There are a lot of free ones out there, and a lot of em are really well done.

I personally love these. Image http://needcoffee.deviantart.com/art/Mo ... r-95319628

What do you guys think?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Re: Custom emoticons?

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 am

Inconsistent? That's because they're not the default set. Some of them were upgraded to an antialiased "improved" version (which I hate compared to the originals :P) when the forums were upgraded some time ago. I dunno if this is something to do with phpBB3 or something, but it's definitely not the original phpBB emoticon set.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:53 am

Hum, you may be right. Image I checked out the default icons and they don't have any of those anti-aliased ones. But I still think they're pretty plain. Image

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:02 am

If you so particularly want your own smileys, link to your own, as you are so resourcefully already doing.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:20 pm

It would be cool to have custom Wolfire smilies.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:09 pm

Aye, it "would be cool"... believe me, the Tremulous community thought it would be cool to have custom smileys done, too, and I was there when they implemented them...

I plead you, Jeff, do not allow custom emoticons into the forum's systems unless they're really well done! xD

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Good thing the Tremulous smileys are really well done.

But what sort of smileys would suit Wolfire?

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:40 pm

I think... Something Anthro, something cartoony, and something that makes sence to the thym of Wolfires games. Cool could be Replaced with Blackshade block man bodyguard screeny shunk down so its the size of the text.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:17 pm

I think plain emoticons would do, and then have a slew of Wolfire-oriented ones (I.E. Turner, or the Bodyguard and such. Then when they make other games they could have the dragon from that dragon game they mentioned... and hope they make XD)

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:43 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Good thing the Tremulous smileys are really well done.
You thought so? Ah, I guess. We had some fun with them.
I guess it wasn't the right example xD

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Glabbit wrote:If you so particularly want your own smileys, link to your own, as you are so resourcefully already doing.
It gets tiring.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm

You using PC or mac?
There used to be this handy little copy/paste help program for mac I once knew... never really used it myself, but it was still a damn handy thing.

It allowed you to copy things onto multiple clipboards, with overview on what you had clipped. The basic difference to the usual Opt-C and Opt-V for copying and pasting, was to add a number, corresponding to the clipboard you wanted it on/from. (Opt-C-1, Opt-V-4, etc)

It could also permanently store clipboarded stuff, like links.
If you're on a mac you could perma-clip your [img]smiley link[img] stuff, for use equally easy as the smileys on the side of the post-a-reply thing here.

I dunno if there's a PC version, though, so everything I've just said could just as well be useless to you =E

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:13 pm

Glabbit wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:Good thing the Tremulous smileys are really well done.
You thought so? Ah, I guess. We had some fun with them.
I guess it wasn't the right example xD
Wtf? You actually didn't like them? I saw no indication of this in your post, so I was just agreeing with you. :P

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:39 am

I never said I didn't like them. They were brilliant things, although there were occasional moments where they were getting overused in inappropriate times and so on that made them hateful.
Ah, it's too hard to guess intonations on the internet...

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am

Glabbit wrote:You using PC or mac?
There used to be this handy little copy/paste help program for mac I once knew... never really used it myself, but it was still a damn handy thing.

It allowed you to copy things onto multiple clipboards, with overview on what you had clipped. The basic difference to the usual Opt-C and Opt-V for copying and pasting, was to add a number, corresponding to the clipboard you wanted it on/from. (Opt-C-1, Opt-V-4, etc)

It could also permanently store clipboarded stuff, like links.
If you're on a mac you could perma-clip your [img]smiley link[img] stuff, for use equally easy as the smileys on the side of the post-a-reply thing here.

I dunno if there's a PC version, though, so everything I've just said could just as well be useless to you =E
No, I am not on a Mac; thanks for the advice anyway.

P.S. I find it really annoying when people refer to programs being either for PC or Mac. Programs are not dependent on whether or not the user's computers are made by Apple, they're dependent on the users' operating systems and processor architectures. Furthermore, the distinction between PCs and Macs is misleading because Macs are PCs. Just felt like I should tell you that. I shall not stop until I've bitten off the heads of everyone who think that things are for either Mac or PC.