MMOFPS

Anything else
Healey

MMOFPS

Post by Healey » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:01 pm

Wondering if there is any MMOFPS games for Mac out there. Sort of like a combo of World of Warcraft and your basic fps. Now that would be cool. And if there isn't, mabye Wolfire would do one????? IDK???

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Re: MMOFPS

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:29 pm

World War II: Online is an "MMOFPS"

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Online FPS games are typically very actiony and precise so they require much more bandwidth than your average MMO, which is why you don't see many MMOFPS games out there.

Face of Mankind used to be an MMOFPS, but it was pretty shitty. It died, so oh well.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:47 pm

Neocron, Huxley and Fallen Earth all follow the MMOFPS thing.
Of course, Neocron's the only one out as FE is in Closed Beta (I'm in it HA!) and Huxley is still in family and friends alpha

Huxley's a bit like if Unreal Tournament were made into an MMOFPS and FE is just like Fallout 3 Online pretty much. Most stuff is even user-crafted in FE.

Endorgan

Post by Endorgan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:59 pm

Are any of those for mac? Neocron had only Windows clients, Huxley wont even be for mac, and Fallen Earth gives no useful info of that sort.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:11 pm

Does CSS run on Macs? That could definitely count as an MMOFPS. It's a little sad that there's a lack of good MMOFPS games out for PC and Mac =s

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:19 pm

CSS as in Counter Strike: Source? It is not mac-compatible because apparently Valve thought it'd be a good idea to demand a huge sum of money from Apple for them to port the Source Engine to mac. It doesn't take much thinking to see how Apple would not benefit from this in any way.

Anyway, if you are talking about that, I don't see how it counts as an MMOFPS. There's only a very small amount of people on a server at any one time, it's essentially the same as any other ordinary FPS. Unless I'm missing something…

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:28 pm

How is Counter Strike Source an MMOFPS? There's no persistent world, game events, or even experience points or skill levels (which seem to be what most people relate to MMO's...). Don't you just choose a server, join it, shoot people, then leave when you get bored? None of the levels change or are affected in any way if one team wins or loses, you don't gain experience, items, or levels for killing other players, and its not as if any of the playing areas are even linked (You can't walk from say DE_Dust to Aztec for example).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_ ... nline_game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_ ... on_shooter
The main thing being a game that can support hundreds of people on one server in a world that continues to "change" (change being relative...) even when people aren't playing.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 am

Endorgan wrote:Are any of those for mac? Neocron had only Windows clients, Huxley wont even be for mac, and Fallen Earth gives no useful info of that sort.
Dude asked for MMOFPS's...never said anything about no Macs. Haha. They're all Windows only. Except Huxley. It's planned for 360 too.
BunnyWithStick wrote:CSS as in Counter Strike: Source? It is not mac-compatible because apparently Valve thought it'd be a good idea to demand a huge sum of money from Apple for them to port the Source Engine to mac. It doesn't take much thinking to see how Apple would not benefit from this in any way.
If found in the right places, CSS is most definitely Mac compatible.
;)

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:46 am

Blorx wrote:Dude asked for MMOFPS's...never said anything about no Macs.
I think this says otherwise:
Healey wrote:Wondering if there is any MMOFPS games for Mac out there.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:03 pm

Oh...right...ehmmm...missed that...
Sorry...
Yeah...no...not really...

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Grayswandir wrote:How is Counter Strike Source an MMOFPS? There's no persistent world, game events, or even experience points or skill levels
What does that have to do with an MMOFPS? MMOFPS is a, and nothing more then, Massive Multiplayer Online First Person-view Shooter. There's no game in existence that's an FPS and has a persistent world. That applies solely to MMORPGs. The best bet for a persistent world is MAG, but that's coming out for PS3 and not Mac, so it's not much help in this thread. (Though the trailers are incredibly smexy. 256 players? In an online FPS game match? Sony has dared to oppose the gods of bandwidth. Respect the Asians.)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Huxley is a straight up MMOFPS with RPG elements. Check it out. Really, it is.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:36 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:How is Counter Strike Source an MMOFPS? There's no persistent world, game events, or even experience points or skill levels
What does that have to do with an MMOFPS?
I was giving generic examples of what an MMO has. But, MMOs in general (any kind of MMO) have persistent worlds, large server-wide events, and some sort of experience gain or ranks.
MMOFPS is a, and nothing more then, Massive Multiplayer Online First Person-view Shooter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMOFPS
There's no game in existence that's an FPS and has a persistent world. That applies solely to MMORPGs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMOFPS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_Online

I keep using WW2: Online as an example because it has a huge map that thousands of people play on and affect the battlelines by capturing bases, destroying the other teams and so on and so forth. These battlelines can be affected even when you aren't online helping your team. Where as say, CSS would have the same objectives on a smaller scale (say, capturing a flag, disarming a bomb, whatever...), one team losing doesn't affect all the people playing CSS (It will affect the what? 16, 32, 48 people playing on that one map, but everyone else playing that map isn't affected). Basically, when the match is over, the map doesn't reset back to defaults, if the terrorists won (we'll keep using CSS as an example), they won and have full control over that area until the SWAT (whatever the "good guys" are in CSS) can get enough forces over there to take back that area.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:26 am

Y'know what makes me lol? America's Army. It's so ridiculous.

Also, I'm intrigued by Huxley. We wants it, precious. Looks fun, precious.

Also, when you said that Fallen Earth was like Fallout 3 Online, I became immediately interested, but it turns out that the art design isn't to the same par as Fallout 3, so I was disappointed. Still probably going to be enjoyable I guess. I just wouldn't call it an online version of Fallout 3. You're entitled to, though. Same themes.