I got mugged

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: I got mugged

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:29 am

Ragdollmaster wrote:I disagree. Go try and confront an army combatant with a knife and see what happens to you, invertin...

...human instinct along with trial and error understanding are better then 95% of all martial arts- but there's that 5% of fighting styles (CQC, HTH, MAC, OHWS, FCS, etc)...
Invertin was talking about martial arts. That's why he said "martial arts". I'm not sure what the rest of those acronyms were (some of them seem like you were just throwing out random letters), but CQC is not a martial art.

Martial arts and combat training are two completely different things.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:08 pm

R_T: "Martial arts are systems of codified practices and traditions of training for combat... martial arts share a single objective: to defeat one or more people physically and to defend oneself or others from physical threat..."

While you could argue that combat training is a form of martial arts, but that that doesn't mean martial arts are a form of combat training, it's beside the point. Invertin only said "Martial Arts." That term would indeed include combat training. If he had referenced something like "Martial arts are just that. An art. Not a weapon. (Excluding professional training / combat training /etcetcetc)". His implication of the term was way too broad for anyone to really know if he meant all martial arts, or all martial arts besides the ones that are, y'know, deadly. The way he worded made it sound like he thought any form of martial arts, which would include combat training, wouldn't be useful in a true fight because you couldn't use the knowledge of a martial art to hurt someone. [/semantics-lesson]

Oh, and CQC (CloseQuarterCombat) is a form of training given to militants and law enforcement officers for combat. Training + Combat = Combat Training = Martial Art.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:01 pm

It was broad because it looks wittier that way.

Famous quotes sound better when they are not thought about too much. Thus I did the same.

But most martial arts are ancient traditions passed down and such, and they may have been extremely useful in their time, but they aren't anymore.

So that's why CQC is more useful, it's modern. It's designed to work in a modern environment.

Would you prefer "Martial arts are just that, an art. Unless they are modern martial arts"? Because that doesn't sound as witty.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Wittiness < Logic, in terms of importance...

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:22 pm

For now we'll go with the logical version.

I will be working on a wittier version. Just because my priorities are that messed up.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:11 pm

I would recommend a thesaurus to spiffy up a logical version.

And now, because I also have messed up priorities, I'm going to go code a witty-fying program.

rabbidrabbit12

Post by rabbidrabbit12 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:07 am

i think its horrible :(

McJoggin

Post by McJoggin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 pm

David wrote: Action movies and games have instilled this idea that if you get in a fight everything will suddenly go in slow motion, you can flawlessly execute devastating unarmed attacks and disarms.
Course... Lugaru isnt helping too much either. jk :D .
But yeh.. the stuff you said makes sense... I am overconfident when it comes to fighting,in that situation, i would probably end up stabbed or dead.

McJoggin

Post by McJoggin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:There's the alternative of just staring blankly at them until their brain explodes.
Oh good one.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:46 am

David, I must disagree with some of what you said. I have been involved (the potential victim) in several attempted muggings. Only one of these attempts left me with any form of lasting damage. Two of these attempts involved knives, and one involved a .22, and another involved multiple thugs. Unless I am prompted to do so, I won't tell the stories, but the results of these muggings were two free knives, a shitty pistol, and a scar on my right hand. What I'm trying to say is; I survived these mugging attempts because I had adequate knowledge of fencing, knife fighting, and martial arts. I must strongly disagree with what someone (I don't remember who right now) said about martial arts meaning nothing in street fights. When an individual has studied a discipline under a real master, and not some half-assed idiot at the local community center, the style is very much usable during a real fight. Fencing, while it may be hard to use without the proper tool at hand, gives you an idea of the stance a skilled user would take in a mugging situation. Rolling good martial arts, and fencing training together, one can effectively disarm an opponent, regardless of the weapon they are attacking with. As for time slowing down during a fight, I agree that that is BS. However, during a fight, someone who can keep their cool may have a lot more time to evaluate the situation and react, than someone with adrenaline poisoning who can't think clearly. One mustn't let adrenaline cloud the mind. <-Yes I know that sounds super-high-and-mighty-badass-wannabe, but really, i can't make it any clearer.

Well, all in all, I don't really care if someone tries to mug me again. I welcome the opportunity to get another free knife, or a better pistol.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:14 am

...This is messing up our moral.

Okay, so far the moral is-

"Don't engage anyone in combat when they mug you, even if you know martial arts. Unless you are totally epic and/or awesome."

But then we need to define exactly what makes a person epic/awesome enough to do it right...

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:23 pm

I also get mugged every couple days, and take the muggers' weapon with my years of McDojo karate training. Initially I only got enough knives to equip my kitchen, but soon every drawer in my apartment was filled with knives and guns. I then thought, what should I do with all this junk? I decided to open a store: "David's Used Weapon Emporium". That business has been doing very well so far because there are so many muggers wandering around looking for their lost weapons.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:13 pm

MORAL HAS BEEN SHATTERED

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:29 pm

I think David is being sarcastic...

Lotus: Bad-ass if those stories are true. I would never take on someone with a firearm though, especially if there's more then one person in the mugging.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:38 pm

I didn't really pay attention. I just kind of shouted stuff.

You know, like I always do.

But I agree- Guns are not to be messed with.

Unless they are those lasertag guns.

*THUD*

BAD INVERTIN!

*THUD*

STOP MAKING JOKES IN A SERIOUS TOPIC!

*THUD*