God?

Anything else
invertin

Re: God?

Post by invertin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:15 am

I don't believe in a christian god.

I believe there is something there. I don't know what it is, but there's no way that all of existance is just chance.

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:31 am

Here's a idea, if we do ever get to a point where we can make a computer Sim that can make a world so realistic, that the people in it didn't know they where in a Sim. if we did that, we would make more Sim's then there where realities. thus the chance would be higher that this all would be a Sim then a reality*. now! pick away at you're will! i shall try to defend this argument.
i have a feeling one post will rip this one to shreds!

*i, of course do not believe this is to be true. its a theory and maybe a stupid one at that.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:18 pm

You might want to get that tiny text infestation checked out.

They might have a hive.

Of tiny letters.

They'll eat all of your INTERNET WORDS!

But I agree with them anyway.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Here's a idea, if we do ever get to a point where we can make a computer Sim that can make a world so realistic, that the people in it didn't know they where in a Sim. if we did that, we would make more Sim's then there where realities. thus the chance would be higher that this all would be a Sim then a reality*. now! pick away at you're will! i shall try to defend this argument.
That sounds like The Matrix! Awesome movies.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:38 pm

Untadaike wrote:That sounds like The Matrix! Awesome movies.
Yup. The problem is, like all religions (including pastafarianism) they can't be proven right or wrong.

And with moor's law in action, getting to the level of technology to recreate the universe might be possible soon, maybe in a good 1000 years.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:04 am

Big problem with that idea-

Creating every single law of reality is hard. If god isn't omniscient, as the "reality is a simulation" idea suggests, then it's always possible that there is something in their reality program they didn't think we'd be able to do.

In other words- Reality could glitch.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:55 am

invertin wrote:there's no way that all of existance is just chance.
Ptah!
Think of this: if there is any potential of life developing, any potential at all, even if it's below a millionth nanodigit of a percent, then what's the total chance of life eventually developing?
100%! Why? Because the universe won't simply 'end'! Things die, others explode, but all the while new things get created, too, and thus there is an ever-constant chance for life over all eternity!
And since eternity would be infinite, that obviously means that there WILL be life at SOME point.
That life is us.

No, I don't believe in 'god'. I believe in the universe.

NinjaRabbits

Post by NinjaRabbits » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 am

"I believe... I believe that I don't know everything."

QUOTE: The 10th Doctor, Season 2, Episode The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit. :mrgreen:

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Glabbit wrote: Ptah!
Think of this: if there is any potential of life developing, any potential at all, even if it's below a millionth nanodigit of a percent, then what's the total chance of life eventually developing?
100%! Why? Because the universe won't simply 'end'! Things die, others explode, but all the while new things get created, too, and thus there is an ever-constant chance for life over all eternity!
And since eternity would be infinite, that obviously means that there WILL be life at SOME point.
That life is us.

No, I don't believe in 'god'. I believe in the universe.
Your logic is only feasible under the assumption that the universe has no beginning or end, which is a completely abstract theory that can't be disproved or proved. Does that last part of 'neither prove or disprove' sound familiar? I hate it when people try to claim their ideas/beliefs are better when in reality they're just using the same logic as nearly everyone else and trying to disguise it with a poor redirection of readers' attention. But I digress. Even an infinite universe wouldn't have infinite chances, because time doesn't loop in on itself. Every single moment is unique; there may be similar ones, but never the same ones, and never in the same order of occurrence. Just like there is infinite time for a single thing to happen (life being created), there is an infinite amount of possibilities that COULD happen, and they don't necessarily have to include something like life being created. That WOULD be by pure chance, and it would be an extraordinarily slim chance at that.

TL;DR: Infinite time + Infinite possibilities != every possibility eventually occurring. Kthxbye?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:08 pm

invertin wrote:Big problem with that idea-
In other words- Reality could glitch.
But if it did glitch, we would accept it as a real, not see it as a glitch. Platypus anyone?

Ragdollmaster wrote: TL;DR: Infinite time + Infinite possibilities != every possibility eventually occurring. Kthxbye?
It depends on what you mean by infinite possibilities. If you mean infinite parallel dimensions all with a different state of the universe, then every possibility has to occur.

If you mean infinite possibilities, as in only one timeline of the universe, then you are correct.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Depends what kind of glitch. For example, if there was a graphics glitch, we'd just pass it off as our imagination.

If there was a serious reality-destroying glitch ala-Missingo we'd freak the fark out and think the universe decided to eat itself.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:31 pm

TBC: Yup, just the one timeline.

Alternate/parallel dimensions, now that's a completely different story, one that may inspire another of my ten-minute rant.

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:11 pm

Random thought that came to mind-

Someone once said somewhere I can't remember where, that reality was a simulation and the guy making Dwarf Fortress was actually an AI sent by God to rebuilt the simulation inside the simulation.

I read that and was like "Holy crap what are you on I want some."

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:34 am

Did you guys know that there are some people who believe that we are descended from the humans in Battlestar Galactica? I found their site once, forgot where it was, though. Anyway, that's an *interesting* theory, lol. BsG ftw, by the way. That show's awesome. But I don't believe that they're my ancestors and we're "the thirteenth colony" or whatever, hahahah.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Post by Spartan X » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:44 am

I believe in one god. Chuck.