God?

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: God?

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:42 pm

I think myfaceisblue has a point. Ragdollmaster is being a bit too pejorative in general with his posts.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:17 am

Well I guess that means there aren't any actual Christians on this forum, interesting, well none who have posted here have expressed it at least.
And I don't think any one here actually is ignorant to other religions (Well I am, towards Scientologists, I actually can't stand them, sorry), The comments being said aren't exactly ignorant, just expressing their reasons for why they believe what they believe. I kind of agree with the pejorative thing, but maybe Ragdoll is interpretting the posts as more negative as they are supposed to be, it's hard to tell how other people feel through only writing.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:51 am

I knew once i read "God?" on the boards list it was going to lead to trouble.. xD heh look at it this way guys we all can agree on one thing no matter what religion you believe in ~ we're all going to end up dead one day in some graveyard with worms eating out what little meat we have left on our rotting bodies & some random late night street bum is going to sneak into the graveyard & take a piss on our graves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2BgjH_CtIA

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:12 am

R_T: Misinterpreting something or calling something ignorant doesn't immediately equal a derogatory statement. This is all shit about perspectives again that I don't want to get into. It might be the way I write my posts, but I haven't been trying to insult anyone so far, just express my views on the particular topic. I apologize for any comment I inadvertently made that might have been viewed as an insult.

MFIB: Has anyone really mentioned a guy sitting in heaven with a long beard smiting everything that pisses him off when he's responsible for creating it, AKA, the typical Catholic definition? That line of logic hasn't been brought up yet because thankfully most of the people posting here are intelligent enough to give some kind of a reasonable argument. I also never said your comment was ignorant, I was talking about some posts in general much earlier in the thread, so I'm sorry if you interpreted that as an insult because that wasn't my intent. (Though, I can see how that following my post right before it could be seen as an insult :S)

As for the Crusades and WWII, of course, religion has always bred conflicts and will continue to do so. Look at some of the terrorists in the Middle East now. But now, does that indicate that all Muslims are terrorists, hijackers, or suicide bombers? You can't generalize one group of people in the same religion as having the same thoughts and actions, just the same way you can't do it for a race of people. There are plenty of atheists enrolled in armies around the world, and there's no real difference between them and a person believing in a God. Well, except for the fact they won't pray as they're about to get shot. Religion isn't the only cause of conflict and can't be blamed as such.

Further on, most Catholics are just infuriating in general. The great majority of them are raised in so strict a form of their religion that they don't even want to talk to you unless you agree with everything they say. The Catholic Church is, I believe unless I heard incorrectly, currently among the richest entities on the planet, whereas they preach about being humble and chaste and following in Jesus' footsteps. Yeah, you can follow him in your Rolls-Royce-Pope-Mobile. Hypocrites.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:28 am

Yeah, but he didn't call you ignorant for expressing your views, the same would be nice in return.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:45 am

True, although I just realized it was stupid calling him ignorant. We're not exactly dealing with facts but instead abstract thinking, so you can't really be ignorant about anything here. Dumb mistake of mine, apologies to myfaceisblue :<

Also to answer an earlier question posed by invertin, which I kind of couldn't really think about at the moment;
invertin wrote:
Ragdollmaster wrote:if there was a higher being, they would have to operate within these own laws to avoid a paradox
How come?

God created those laws, he doesn't have to abide by them if he doesn't want to. Infact, just by existing (or unexisting or whatever he's going) he's broken several.

The typical view of God is that he's omnipotent. Omni = All, Potent = Power. He has all the power. But note; this doesn't mean he has control of infinite power, allowing him to do anything, it means he has control of all existing power, and while that is a huge number for a universe as big as ours, it isn't an endless source of power. This would mean he couldn't be able to create a paradox.

Back to the hammer/nail illustration, let's say the nail represents natural laws, and the hammer represents infinite power. Since God wouldn't have infinite power, or in this case the hammer, he'd be smacking that nail with a Twinkie. (Double-meanings in an analogy ftw?)

myfaceisblue

Post by myfaceisblue » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:43 pm

[quote="Ragdollmaster"]True, although I just realized it was stupid calling him ignorant. We're not exactly dealing with facts but instead abstract thinking, so you can't really be ignorant about anything here. Dumb mistake of mine, apologies to myfaceisblue :<

Thanks

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:40 pm

you've gotta have [/quote] at the end of what you're quoting.

Nail

Post by Nail » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:58 pm

That's an interesting point, Ragdollmaster. Three years of Catholic school and I haven't heard anything as intelligent as that.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 pm

<- did not take the time to read all of this

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:01 pm

<--- Did not take the time to read ^^^.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:13 pm

Wonders why the hell R_T and Blorx are pointing to an empty space when users are here -------->

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:18 pm

<---- Thinks that users are not here or there, but inside.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Well, whatever, just don't cross the streams.

(Point of origin)-------------------<---------------------->--------------------(Point of origin)

Fffff-

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:18 am

If I see a thread with a title like 'God' with a questionmark added, I usually don't bother to read any of it - I just say: 'No.'

Of course, I don't say it wouldn't be possible for there to be no god, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely, and that if he IS out there, he's either a terrible sloth, dead, or a downright bastard.
He could do a better job than this.

How many different religions are there?
Do they realise that, if even a single one of them is right, all others are wrong?
Well, and then they say 'This is the only true religion!'. They all say that.
Basically I think they're all wrong.