"What Are You Playing" Thread

Anything else
Rorschach

"What Are You Playing" Thread

Post by Rorschach » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:38 am

It's the summer, time for some gaming, although only a few good games are out now. :(

After a grueling term in college I decided to play games that I missed over the past few years so I bought Bioshock off Steam. The production values are simply amazing. And after realizing that you could disable the lame Vita Chambers I've really gotten into it. I just wish there was more openness to it. I know that every Single Player FPS is basically a person following a maze but Bioshock just hits you over the head with that as there are no large open spaces. It almost feels like the Disneyland Haunted Mansion. And that navigator arrow that comes to the top of your screen reminds me of Crazy Taxi, which isn't a good thing.

And yesterday I bought Fallout 3 for 50 percent off (yay Steam). And it is the complete opposite of Bioshock. The world is vast and you have many things to do, but at the same time that world feels empty. Where as Bioshock has lively animated NPCs Fallout 3 has what feels like cyborgs walking around towns and shooting at you. And when they talk to you with that dead eye stare, man that just really hits uncanny valley.

I wish there was a happy medium to these two great games. Oh and besides that I'm still playing Team Fortress 2, which is so much fun because I got the Sniper's Bow and Arrow. Anyway what have you guys been playing? Oh and happy 4th of July.

Endoperez

Re: "What Are You Playing" Thread

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 am

I recently finished Knytt and played through several Knytt Stories. I'm currently playing through "An untitled story" by Matt Makes Games. It's a platformer in which you are free to explore the world - quite a concept! :D There are lots of bosses, and lots of different areas, and the ability you get from defeating a boss usually opens one or two extra areas.
I started Moneyseize yesterday, and it looks like it will be difficult in later areas.

I'm playing through the first Lego Star Wars. It's more of a puzzle game, not action as I first thought. The secondary goals make the game, and I'd like to see the same idea extended to other genres. An adventure game with a hundred "extra" puzzles that aren't necessary for the main plot could work really well.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:15 am

Don't know if any of you know, but I happen to have a little gaming clan where the principle is to have fun.
Our main, and until recently only, game: Tremulous. Free, cross-platform, and most important, fun.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:30 am

I'm back to working on Persona 3 FES when I feel like it.

And my girlfriend and I are playing through Gears of War 2 (she is obsessed with Gears but thinks Halo sucks...she's a keeper ;) ) because I never did play through it. Going back to her place tomorrow and we just hit Act 5 so maybe we'll finish it tomorrow.

Also playing through Mount and Blade, Aztaka, spurts of Rocket Riot and trying my hand at other games...I tried the CD-i Zelda side-scrollers...gah they're terrible. I can't even control my character, let alone get anywhere in the game.

EDIT: also planning on playing through Duel Savior Justice, even with my lack of Japanese language skills.
Last edited by Blorx on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Just got Fallout 3, great game so far.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:49 pm

well, I´m stuck here without my own computer and the asshole I mentioned in my other post about he blaming me for making his computer crash. I can´t play anything but I would like to try Blood Bowl

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:53 pm

HAHA, I forgot about Tremulous, that game is awesome, I'm gonna go reinstall it.
Anyway, playing BlazBlue, Myth II, and trying to beat Skate 2.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:00 pm

Playing some of the classics on a PS1 emulator. Past month I've finished Ace Combat 3, Resident Evil 3, and SaGa Frontier 2 (big thanks to R_T for helping me to remember the title XD I also found an ISO for the prequel, SaGa Frontier, and that was fun as hell too), and now just finished Metal Gear Solid. Playing through the VR Missions expansion pack now.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:02 am

lucky I haven't found any working isos of metal gear and my old game's all messed up.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:02 am

Hmm, Yes, Nice, talking 'bout classics, I've managed to get me a setup whereon I can play L.A.P.D. Futurecop again... Lovely fun. Gotta adore the SkyCaptain's quotes.

Anyone ever played Silver (with main character David) or Torin's Passage? (with main character Torin, obviously :0)
Or better yet, anyone ever heard of the bizarre and unforgettable adventure game Obsidian?
Loved Obsidian's main soundtrack... Ahh, nostalgia...

In the non-retro area, Urban Terror seems to have grasped my and my clan's attention. Another cross-platform free shooter, this time all about the guns.
It's not very special, but for the kind of game it is, it's quite amusing.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:44 am

hey guys, did any of you already play blood bowl? I want to know if it´s good before thinking about buying it. And...does anyone know a game with destructible environment?

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:53 am

I never played it but Red Faction Guerrila is supposed to be fully destructable. My friends been obsessing over it, but I've only played the demo, kinda cool. Also I just finished the Half Life saga for the bazillionth time now. Finished playing GTA4 in a speed run too, and I let my gf borrow my Halo and Gears of War 2 while I was on vacation. But shes at camp now so I won't have those back either for awhile. I have like no games right now lol.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I got tired of Assassin's Creed so now I'm playing Commandos 2 and 3...yes large, ugly looking Green Beret, stab those German soldier's to death. Commandos is this stealth, action, puzzle, WWII game that's pretty fun...but really, really hard.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:50 pm

Count Roland: Ah, really? I have the actual discs, but I was also able to burn them onto my computer as a cdimage file. I could see if it's possible to upload the two disc images and send them to you. I've got no problem with sharing the greatness :) You should also check out a site called emuparadise, it has a lot of cdimages for different games. Here's a link to all the files they have for PS1 emulators. As a matter of fact, I believe they have the iso files for MGS.

EDIT: Disc One and Disc Two. Here's the link to the VR Missions expansion I downloaded, if you want it.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:03 pm

At the moment I'm playing through King Kong (official game of the movie) for Xbox. It's actually really good, especially considering that it is a movie game.

Apart from that.. Uh, Prototype and some animal crossing.