*Achievment unlocked - how the...*

Anything else
Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

*Achievment unlocked - how the...*

Post by Spartan X » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:33 pm

Yup. Thats right. you've had that feeling. You experianced chuck norris awesome level on that game. You got the achievment, you thought it was impossible. Now share those feelings here :).

I'll start it off.

Gears 2, complete game on insane.
x3 sword kill online.-Halo 3.

Endoperez

Re: *Achievment unlocked - how the...*

Post by Endoperez » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't think I've played games with achievements, unless you count flash games, but I did win in ADOM. It was "just" a normal ending, but took me a couple of years of on-and-off playing to do that. It's a roguelike, so dying erases your savegame - the character I won with wasn't my most powerful, but the others all got unlucky along the way.

Spartan X

Post by Spartan X » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:13 pm

Cool :) sounds hard to be honest.

Kestril

Post by Kestril » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Left 4 dead- Man v.s. Tank (and it was on expert. EXPERT!)

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Killzone 2- Kill 75 people with a knife.

And guess what?

I'm only on level motherfarking two

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Raiden Fighter Aces
Shot Down - Shot down 256 times

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger
Cat-a-pult - Threw a Kaka kitten using Taokaka's "Kitty Litter Special!".
This Just Got Real - Caused a Double Down to occur

Achievements are silly...and yet some people are obsessed with them.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Yeah...I find that rather bizarre to be honest. They're such empty rewards. There is no fulfillment.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:29 pm

Spartan X wrote:Gears 2, complete game on insane.
x3 sword kill online.-Halo 3.

Oh god that made me happy. I was the first person among my close friends to finish on insane. And I did it within a week on solo (my first xbox game), 3 months after everyone else got it. Made me happy. As did the sword triple kill, mostly because I got it along with the killtacular achievement. Good times...

And for me the reward of achievements is just giving me more reasons to play the game once I finish it. Having only like 6 games means I've already beaten them all multiple times, but achievements can keep me interested a bit longer. Lately haven't played my xbox much though.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:45 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Yeah...I find that rather bizarre to be honest. They're such empty rewards. There is no fulfillment.
It's nice when a game shows that you did something difficult, like completed the game on the highest difficult setting or without taking any damage or whatever. Freespace 2 did that well: instead of achievements, you get medals for doing well in the game.

It gets silly when you get 15 achievements for completing the tutorial. Speaking of silly, here's Achievement unlocked the game.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:49 am

For me achievements aren't something I focus on, but I do like it when a little thingy comes up telling me how awesome I am.

Of course it works better when the achievement is actually, you know, an achivement.

Like somehow killing 75 people with a knife despite only being on the second mission.

Spartan X

Post by Spartan X » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:15 am

Well i got the gears 2 achievment mostly alone, but obviously some parts i needed depserate help. And for that i thank Zoidberg and Invertin. *accepts achievment with a tearful eye* i'd like to thank my mom, my brother, and my MP3 player.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:34 am

Well yeah, it's nice to get certain achievements that require a bit of skill, but I was talking to a guy in an XBox Live Party the other day and I asked him what he was doing, he said he was "trying to get the achievement in Prototype where you have to collect all the orbs in the game". I was like "...". I said nothing. I was seriously thinking about saying "That's really sad" but I didn't.

Honestly, when you're going out of your way to get silly meaningless achievements it goes a bit overboard. Getting an achievement for getting a quadruple kill with a sword in Halo 3 is pretty neat though. =D

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:06 am

invertin wrote:Killzone 2- Kill 75 people with a knife.

And guess what?

I'm only on level motherfarking two
That is win.
That is win.
Win, that is.
That is win.

I played the first level of Killzone 2 and have seen the second level... and that's a hell of a lot of knifing you did thar =D

Yush, the only thing I have to say that's positive about achievements is that they can -note: can, if done correctly, which is usually not that often- create a whole new level of satisfaction of completing a game. I.e, 100%'d it. Found all unlockables, etc.
Thus creating more gametime if you're the kind of person who doesn''t put down a game until you've 100%'d it or spent months trying.

I haven't played very many games with achievements, though, so I can't really remember any that I could post.
Yeah, I don't achieve as much as I would want to.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:33 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Well yeah, it's nice to get certain achievements that require a bit of skill, but I was talking to a guy in an XBox Live Party the other day and I asked him what he was doing, he said he was "trying to get the achievement in Prototype where you have to collect all the orbs in the game". I was like "...". I said nothing. I was seriously thinking about saying "That's really sad" but I didn't.

Honestly, when you're going out of your way to get silly meaningless achievements it goes a bit overboard. Getting an achievement for getting a quadruple kill with a sword in Halo 3 is pretty neat though. =D
How is that silly? I haven't played Prototype, but a 100% achievement (like collecting all orbs/stars/puzzle pieces/whatever) takes lots of skill in most games, much more so than using one weapon a most FPS games.

Obviously the kind of people who try to collect all the stars or orbs or whatever aren't doing it for the achievement, but for the challenge. It's like getting 100% completion in a platform game. It's not for everyone, but if you call that meaningless, wouldn't playing the game in the first place be meaningless as well?

^_^

Post by ^_^ » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:06 pm

I'd have to agree with renegade_turner for the most part, as most achievements on nextgen games these days are just a notification message, theres no reward for coin collecting... now you've just got all these coins and it wasnt that fun collecting them.

The Way it used to be was you Unlock a special something that enhances the gameplay, nowa days you just do all the work but don't get an unlock. If it was a challenge to meet all the requirements then that too in it self would provide the reward but most things today are just menial collection.

For example a good unlock/reward system: Shadow of the Collossus you get new items and weapons and a chance to unviel the mythic alternate ending. & Valkyria Chronicles I completed everything on A rank first go because you get special weaponry and more experiance to spend as a reward.

Its true that you did unlock new armor and a samurai sword on halo3 but I still felt the majority of the acheivements where just not worth mentioning and the sword was just for decoration... T_T