Batman Arkham Asylum demo

Anything else
TheBigCheese

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum demo

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:07 pm

Yeah, the end scene was a lot more fun. It kind of bugs me though that you basically stay up on the gargoyles the whole time.

That's not stealth. Stealth is avoiding the guards using your wits, and picking them off one by one. Not having a "Deus ex machina" kind of gameplay element. It really ruins the stealth.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:44 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Yeah, the end scene was a lot more fun. It kind of bugs me though that you basically stay up on the gargoyles the whole time.

That's not stealth. Stealth is avoiding the guards using your wits, and picking them off one by one. Not having a "Deus ex machina" kind of gameplay element. It really ruins the stealth.
Hehe, your a stealth game advocate =p. I enjoy the game alot though, maybe a good Batman game finally gentlemen?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Timothy wrote:Hehe, your a stealth game advocate =p. I enjoy the game alot though, maybe a good Batman game finally gentlemen?
Haha. Definitely. It still feels like you're doing amazing things, but without the need for superhuman abilities.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:43 am

Bataranges FTW!

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 am

TheBigCheese wrote:Stealth is avoiding the guards using your wits, and picking them off one by one.
Metal Gear Solid, anyone? Or, to a lesser extent, Assassin's Creed (because you were fudge unstoppable in Creed =|)

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:23 am

MGS is awesome, played a little bit of the newest one. Just unreal.

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:02 pm

Before my computer got screwed over I gave the demo a run. I think I averaged 60 fps. But I suspect that the frame rate would drop in more complex areas. I'm taking a guess the 360 version runs the same as the playstation 3 right?

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:26 pm

They run about the same, but the 360 looks better. Not as dirty looking.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:42 am

I down lodaded it and played it though, I thought the game was quite fun, all though as stated before, very tutorial, Im sure that there are more progressive challanges, there are those Wayn enterpises termanals, and that wall in Zazzis Encounter that was explodable but in the Demo unacsessable due to not having the Demo Gel, Im sure there are going to be better puzzles in it later. I bought a steam version of the game. Game play very much reminded me of lugaru, I found the Batterrang counter buttons annoying but the combat was very flowy, and fun.

Some of the stealth moves were fun in the final room, I ran though that last room without the gargoils, TOP THAT!

I will admit I hope overgrowth has better combat and such.

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, I really liked the demo actually, thought it was a bunch of fun. The game's out now, and is already pretty critically acclaimed.
I see some of you mention that it is linear and easy-- well, it's the first 20-30 minutes of the game. Of course it has a somewhat restrictive tutorial before opening up. Most games do this.

I guess that's the danger of demos, sometimes people can get the wrong idea of the game.
I recall some people saying that Hitman: Bloodmoney seemed very linear and without many choices, according to the mission in the demo-- which was obviously a simple tutorial mission... rrrrgh stupid people grumble grumble

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 am

Hey, I have the game and I have played 40 something % though, so far the only things I can say negative about it are controls. The game is quite large and detailed, and there is much reason to explore if your taking on the riddler challenges.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

i really want to get this game it sounds so frikken awesome!!

(and omfg chainsaw man is back am i the only one who it seems to them he dissapeared for a while??)

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Recently had a swing at the full version of this game.
Still cannot see why it's getting good reviews.

My main complaint is that it's pathetically easy. No challenge. Anywhere. At all. None. Zip.
The fighting for example. Enemies barely even attack you. Of course, when they do, they do it one at a time. Oh, and when they attack they get a little icon over their heads indicating that you should press the counter button. That's right folks, the fighting in B:AA is easier then the Lugaru tutorial.

Also, apparently the makers were of the opinion that players must be shielded from the dreadful sting of failure. Accordingly, every time you fail a special challenge, a boss fight for example, a little dialog pops up telling you exactly what to do. The result being that easiest way to succeed is to fail. Truly a game for the iPod generation.

And don't even get me started on the stealth. If you've played the demo then you will know that the makers of B:AA thought "stealth" was a funny word for "invisible gargoyle".

But hey, at least the graphics are real pretty... until you see a human face. Achievement unlocked: Uncanny Valley. No wonder half the cast wear masks.

Yeah... I could go on. Basically, playing B:AA is like eating white sliced bread with margarine. Easy to digest, but no flavour to be found.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:04 am

hmm... I haven't played it, game or demo, but do all the enemies stand around waiting to attack you even on the "insane" setting?

Come to think of it, looking at gameplay videos it doesn't look like there are many that do it Lugaru style where every a.i. in range takes a swipe at you at the same time.

vixena

Post by vixena » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:52 am

What is the chronological order of the "Batman" graphic novels? I want to read these novels in the proper order. I am going to start with Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" and need to know the correct chronology for reading the subsequent sequels, regardless of author.