EvE Online

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

EvE Online

Post by Blorx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:06 pm

So...with it recently being ported to Mac, I cleared out Spore, AvP2 (which doesn't fecking work in 10.5! >.>) and the likes and made room to try it out.

I've gotta say...I've only been playing since 5 am this morning but I've already devoted a good 6-7 hours to the game...that's not usual for me. Even with WoW, I could only take it for 2-3 hours a day and often found myself restarting characters out of boredom.

The attention to detail and feeling that you're actually in a vast, endless universe are incredible (even the lighting from a star affects the entire system :O). I'm totally amazed by this game in all respects, don't get bored, etc. I know most gameplay aspects are automatic, but since I live in a crazy house and get pulled off often, I've found it works out fine. I'm just interested in getting a better ship/equipment and exploring more.

I might actually subscribe to EvE...

http://www.eveonline.com/

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Re: EvE Online

Post by Lugaruman100 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 pm

I've played the trial.

McJoggin

Post by McJoggin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:53 pm

I started this game up, was amazed by the size of space and the warp travel. Then I was baffled by the complexity. When I deleted the demo, I lost every game in my games folder.

I hate it with a passion when fees are monthly, so unless they change their money policy (never) I don`t think I will play.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:02 pm

Yeah, I get the hating p2p games thing, but when did you play? When Apocrypha was released just this year, they simplified the game a lot, and in the day I've been playing, I've been seeing that. The tutorial that took me 3 hours the first time I played a few years back only took an hour this time.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:32 pm

I played it, but got bored. The combat was lackluster, and I ended up just doing hauling missions to make money. It's probably much better in a corp, but I didn't join one.

Instead of EvE, I'm waiting for this game. Seriously, when it comes out it will easily be 10x as good as EvE.
Infinity

Highlights:
- Full Galaxy Simulation
You know the star systems in EvE? Yeah, 50 or so? Think 200 Billion. Wrap your mind around that one.
- Procedural Worlds
Every single planet is visitable. You can seamlessly transition between a planet and space. The entire game has no loading screens. Check out this mindblowing video.
- Skill Based Gameplay - The gameplay itself is not quite decided, but the one fact that has been affirmed is that it will be completely skill based, not point and click. Players will fly the ships.
- Colonization - Colonies can be formed on distant planets, and can mine minerals out of the crust that can be sold later on.
- Dynamic Backgrounds - The stars you see in the distance are actually there. You could theoretically fire up the jump drive and pay it a visit.
- Everything else that makes EvE great - Dynamic Economy, Corporation System, great stylized ships, PvP and PvE, and massive battles.

More videos:

http://www.infinity-universe.com/Infini ... mitstart=6

It's still a good 2 years away from Alpha, but the guy building the game is a frickin' genius. No really, it is all being built mainly by one guy.

It's clear the game's going to be a winner when there are player corporations of over 150 members while the game hasn't even reached alpha.

Sorry for posting a little off topic. :mrgreen:

EvE is a great game if you're prepared to spend time playing it. It's not bad. I just never really got into it. It does seem amazing when you start though.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Well, granted Infinity comes out (one man MMO projects tend not to reach release), I'm sure it would be amazing and I would probably enjoy playing it more than I already am with EvE, but the point still being...I'm on a Mac and whereas EvE is a niche game as is, meaning it's not made for everyone, it's light years better than it's only other available-for-Mac competitor, Vendetta Online.

McJoggin

Post by McJoggin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 am

Blorx wrote:Yeah, I get the hating p2p games thing, but when did you play? When Apocrypha was released just this year, they simplified the game a lot, and in the day I've been playing, I've been seeing that. The tutorial that took me 3 hours the first time I played a few years back only took an hour this time.
I have no idea when I played, it was a while ago, probably before Apocrypha. I think the tutorial bored me so I quit it, if that's possible. All I remember of the tutorial is learning to fight. Maybe that would have helped if I actually did it. :lol:

Wow. That video of Infinity where you go right down to the planet is sweet. I'll be keeping my eye on that one.
Last edited by McJoggin on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:36 am

Monthly fees.

Do not want.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:32 pm

See though, the beauty of EvE is that despite being released 6 years ago, it's constantly under active development, with expansions released every 6 months, and there are still big plans underway. Walking around in space stations, planet landing and possible residences on planets, the ability to control capital ships, and the ability for players to make their own space stations and capital ships are all rumored to happen at some point in the future.

It's truly trying to be THE space-age sandbox MMO and it's true that the world is the players' world to change as they all choose.

As far as Infinity goes, I don't know how much of a sandbox MMO it will be, I haven't looked into it at all...just know that the seamless transitions will be enough to win a lot of people over. I also don't know how high the bar for system requirements will be.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:33 pm

Blorx wrote:As far as Infinity goes, I don't know how much of a sandbox MMO it will be, I haven't looked into it at all...just know that the seamless transitions will be enough to win a lot of people over. I also don't know how high the bar for system requirements will be.
The game is built so that any player can be anything at any time. There are no skills at all. If you have the money to start a colony, you can go for it.

The game is far from being released, so there aren't any speculations. I doubt it'd be more than the average computer though. The dev personally evaluates all contributed models to make sure they fit poly budgets.

Also, he's not technically the only one, but the others are mostly writing developers. He does most of all the code.

Maybe I should just start a new topic instead.