What were your first games you played?

Anything else
leDoOd
What custom title?

What were your first games you played?

Post by leDoOd » Tue May 03, 2005 3:27 pm

The first game that really got me "in" to the whole video game industry was Chex Quest, a game that was shipped with a box of Chex cereal. It was created by Id, and it shows - they share some of the same graphics and gameplay. I was so hyped about this game that I went over to my friend's house every Saturday to play it (it never came out for Mac). I even dressed up as the Chex Quest box for my kindergarden halloween - my rendition had a cardboard box with the words "Chex Quest" written in red marker ( :D ).

I just stumbled across a Mac version of the game online, and that's what got me thinking about my first games. It's still fun to this day - the only thing that's not great about it would be its story and its puzzles, but I was never really focused on that... I liked the whole concept of blowing up aliens with a zorcher gun.

If it weren't for Chex Quest, I probably would be a track star or a jock to this day.
Oh...
Damn.

What were your first played games, and the stories behind them?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue May 03, 2005 3:32 pm

The first "real" video game that I played was StarFox 64. I was about 3-4 years old and my dad had just bought a Nintendo 64 (I'm not that old, dude) and he bought StarFox 64 and Yoshi Story. I still play StarFox to this day...(it's really fun)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue May 03, 2005 3:50 pm

Definitely Reader Rabbit. The green-on-black game that came on a floppy disk that was actually floppy. Then Stunt Copter, Manhole, Defender, and other black and white games.

Later, Monkey Island, Loom, Prince of Persia, Flashback.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue May 03, 2005 3:55 pm

I remember playing Reader Rabbit. Man... that was one hot game back in its time. I learned my ABC's playing it too. Bonus!
I had about 3 Reader Rabbit games, but I threw them out when we upgraded our system to 10... they were too old to even function on our Mac anymore. It's a pity, too... those were pretty cool games, if I remember correctly.

I remember another game that I played in kindergarden... I think it was called Math Muncher. You were a green monster who had to eat the solution to the equation displayed at the top of the screen. I really liked that game - it was fun, funny, and it helped me remember my 2 times table. :D

loki J Lo
What's "what's a computer"?

Post by loki J Lo » Tue May 03, 2005 4:58 pm

Mine would be Yoshi's Island for the SNES. (I'm not old either, I've just always been behind in video games.)

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Tue May 03, 2005 4:58 pm

hmm...
I loved the old Super Mario for classic game, that was originally on the SNES (I loved that :p)...
There was also a series of games called treasure island, cove, galaxy, etc. that was education oriented...
I rarely played Reader Rabbit, but I was reading be age 4. :D

defiance

Post by defiance » Tue May 03, 2005 5:03 pm

Ah, the good ol' days.

Number Munchers, Word Munchers, Oregon Trail, Carmen Sandiego...

Marathon, Spectre...

I remember Loom, Prince of Persia, and Flashback as well....

The NES and Genesis....

And, man, the days shareware were king..there we plenty of good titles...

Now, my first games will be a bit harder, but I still have the IBM PC XT and it works. I might boot it up and see if the floppy disks still read. :P

There were some others on the Apple II's I can't remember the names of as well...

Dang, now I have to look through all those 5 1/4 inches and see if I still have any of them...

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Tue May 03, 2005 6:16 pm

I also remember that I used to love to watch the screensavers on the Starry Night original floppy. Whenever our friend Amara would come over with that disk, I'd go to my dad's Apple II and start it up.
I liked the flying toasters best.

Nayr
wicked bad-ass title

Post by Nayr » Tue May 03, 2005 6:23 pm

Ahh, yes. Oregon trail...
I still have fond memories of Tetris, knock hockey, and pong on My Apple ][. :)

[edit]300th post!!! :D[/edit]

hdlsa
fruit salad

Post by hdlsa » Tue May 03, 2005 7:18 pm

Glider, Aqua Piper Blooper, Crystal Crazy, Monkey Island, and Prince of Persia.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Post by FrozenThunder » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 am

Hmm the earliest game that I remember playing was Super Mario Bros 1. you know the one that came out for the old NES. I remember it like it was yesterday. Me and my brothers (back then we were really young) would play it to death, beating bowser and then playing the game again with all the goomba's swapped out with helmet heads. that game was the shit :)

So many hours of enjoyment. That was how I gained my console addiction. or well at least a nintendo console addiction. I'm not a big fan of PS or Xbox.

We later attained that old game cheat cartidge called "Game Genie" not sure if you guys know about it, but the freaking thing would destroy your system. it would stretch all the innards of your Nes so far that after so many months of use, you'll be unable to play any of your games without plugging it in first. I did have some funny experiences with it though. I was playing around putting in random codes into the game genie while running SMB1 (Mario bros 1) and somehow I managed to make mario and luigi turn blue. their fireballs and clothes and mustaches were blue. was quite interesting :P

I remember reader rabbit... and math rabbit...

I would love to see someone make "Mathrabbit Multivariable Calculus" That would be hilarious.

Floppy Disks... Any of you remember the days of the commadore 64? now those floppy disks were seriously floppy. I felt like I was going to snap it in two by holding it :|

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Wed May 04, 2005 2:02 am

If you remember/once heard of Nintendo's Game and Watch thing, then this was arguably the first electronic game I played. NES, ZX Spectum, Macintosh. That's my way.

But first games I played were analog ones :)

The Spoon

Post by The Spoon » Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 am

The first game I played.... I'm not sure. I was around, like, 3 years old, and my memory is blurred after only (Number between 10 and 50) years. My memory sucks. However, one of the first was 'Beond Dark Castle'. I love that game.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed May 04, 2005 3:01 am

The first game I played alot would be....
GOLD DIGGER!!1
And Torins Passage was fun too!
That was when I was about 3-4 years.
Now im 11.

theblob

Post by theblob » Sun May 15, 2005 2:26 am

i dont exatly remeber what the first games i played were but i know i played some old black and white games like wolves in the woods man that was one awesome game :D . Then some colour ones like victor vector and yondo.