release dates for games, films and the such

Anything else
zoidberg rules

release dates for games, films and the such

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:21 am

i've just been digging around the net, and apparently, bioware is planning to release mass effect 2 in the first quarter of 2010, it has also been confirmed that new line cinema is planning to release the movie adaptation of gears of war some time next year as well, and the best news there, NO WRESTLERS! thank god

anyway, there is plently of new features being introduced for mass effect 2, go to http://masseffect.bioware.com/ for more details, we'll leave this open to any more news anyone has or any comments about any release dates posted in this thread

EDIT: there are also rumors kicking around about an adaptation of mass effect into a movie

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:51 am

zoidberg rules wrote:... movie adaptation of gears of war...
:shock: Dear God.

What kind of mentally starved, imaginatively impoverished, gibbering twit looked at Gears of War and saw the potential for a decent movie?

zoidberg rules

Re: release dates for games, films and the such

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 am

me you jerk

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:28 am

I guess it would have good action.

A Mass Effect movie sounds like a good idea, though if they do make it I'd prefer if they made the story seperate from the games, but still within the universe, if you know what I mean. Maybe a film about Captain Anderson's previous battles or something along those lines.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:07 am

zoidberg rules wrote:me you jerk
Wait a sec... you were advocating those films?

Awkward.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:54 am

Everyone knows only pretentiously pseudo-artistic and philosophical films are good, you can't have action films, it's against the rules and they're shit. Yup.

Here here for a Gears Of War film. I wouldn't say it'll be anything groundbreaking or new, but it'll be entertaining and action-packed. That's at a guess anyway.

I can't wait to see how this Shadow Of The Colossus film turns out. I'm interested to see how in the fucking world they're going to make an hour and a half film about Shadow Of The Colossus, I really am. That's genuine interest too, I think it'll be something new as far as film adaptations go, especially since there was little to no character development and as far as plot goes it was really just a standard vehicular plot for the propelling of all the visual artistry and atmosphere of the game.

I know that such an adaptation is going to attract loads of whiney would-be gaming industry afficionados fully prepared to bemoan the attempt to "ruin" or "degrade" one of their favourite games, but I will take solace in the fact that their opinions will be weightless and the adaptation will take place whether or not they cry themselves to sleep at night about it.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Everyone knows only pretentiously pseudo-artistic and philosophical films are good, you can't have action films, it's against the rules and they're shit. Yup.
*sigh*

The wit. It burns.

I have nothing against action films. Plenty of very good action films have been made. The Matrix for example.
But a good action film being adapted from a video game? And not just any old game, but one chock full of puerile characters in a puerile setting? That's a cold-day-in-hell scenario right there.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:31 am

What. We already have a Gears Of War film. See?

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:35 am

most movies made from games become s**t... But then again Uwe Boll makes them all and he's the world's officially biggest asshole (once he invited several other movie directors to a boksing match so that he could beat them up as he is a pro bokser. He wanted to beat them up because film critics gave their movies better critics than his etc.) he made films such as farcry, bloodrayne, dungeons masters etc. Possibly all the crappy movies in the world. So far the only succesfull movie adaption of a game I've seen is tomb-raider.

Sandurz

Re:

Post by Sandurz » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:56 am

Zhukov wrote:
zoidberg rules wrote:... movie adaptation of gears of war...

What kind of mentally starved, imaginatively impoverished, gibbering twit looked at Gears of War and saw the potential for a decent movie?
And would it blow your mind if you knew that WOW is going to be made into a movie?

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:08 am

Sandurz wrote:And would it blow your mind if you knew that WOW is going to be made into a movie?
Actually no, not really. There may well be enough WoW subscribers to provide a profitable target audience for the film.
That said, I still expect the WoW film is going have all the appeal of a steaming turd. All the more so if they imitate the aesthetics of the game.
m3nace wrote:So far the only succesfull movie adaption of a game I've seen is tomb-raider.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Re:

Post by Spartan X » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:32 am

Zhukov wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Everyone knows only pretentiously pseudo-artistic and philosophical films are good, you can't have action films, it's against the rules and they're shit. Yup.
*sigh*

The wit. It burns.

I have nothing against action films. Plenty of very good action films have been made. The Matrix for example.
But a good action film being adapted from a video game? And not just any old game, but one chock full of puerile characters in a puerile setting? That's a cold-day-in-hell scenario right there.
DOOM was a pretty decent movie, and it was the first to be turned from game into movie, rather than the other way around,

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:17 am

tomb raider came before the doom movie, street fighter was game to movie, same with mortal kombat, final fantasy, mario, some other one.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:52 am

pokemanz.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:14 pm

Spartan, you don't even watch movies that often. :P

I'm not sure whether or not to be worried about these or not, game to movie movies have a reputation as being terrible and/or ignoring what they are actually based off of. *COUGH* HITMAN *COUGH* and I don't want to see a good story like Mass Effect get screwed over, or Gears of War being filled with talking instead of chainsaws.