Chaos

Anything else
Timothy

Re: Programmer Needed

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:46 am

Hehe, either way. Alright I'll throw a race description you guys way, then we can discuss them from there. This is so people don't have to read the design document.

Raykin: The race is born and raised to kill the moment they can crawl. With many schools dedicated to teaching them the ways of their race, and indoctrinating them to hate the peaceful races. Their fighting schools are legendary for turning out merciless warlords. The race as a whole pictures King Rivas as weak for his communications with the other civilizations. The most notorious fighting school, Alcabar, generally starts with 1000 students, only a third of this number live to graduation, falling in drills, enraged instructors, or natural causes, because a knife to the back from a jealous peer will quite naturally end your life.

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:08 am

*whistle* Disguise? "gets stabbed by angry school boy"

lots of sneaking? " *tips a pot* SHIZ! *head separates from body* "

Maybe avoiding them altogether?... *gets shot by a hiding Raykin*

hate to be on that planet. what kind of weapons would they use? swords? Lazorz? good ol' fists 'n feet?

EDIT: i've just read the UUN race list, if the Raykins are so War-like how did they get into the United universal nations?
Last edited by Jimmy Jazz on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 am

Timothy: I have plenty of experience spotting inconsistencies and bugs from doing Beta testing for other games, like Cortex Command. And if needed, I can be a grammar Nazi, which I'll do for your description:
Timothy wrote:Raykin: The race is born and raised to kill the moment they can crawl. With many schools dedicated to teaching them the ways of their race, and indoctrinating them to hate the peaceful races.
The second sentence there is a fragment. There should be another comma after "races". For example;

With many schools dedicated to teaching them the ways of their race, and indoctrinating them to hate the peaceful races, the Raykin are vicious and hostile beings.

OR

The race is born and raised to kill the moment they can crawl, with many schools dedicated to teaching them the ways of their race, and indoctrinating them to hate the peaceful races.
Timothy wrote:The race as a whole pictures King Rivas as weak for his communications with the other civilizations.
Technically, nothing wrong with this, but having "The race as a whole pictures King Rivas as being weak" kind of helps with the flow, if you know what I mean :)
Timothy wrote:The most notorious fighting school, Alcabar, generally starts with 1000 students, only a third of this number live to graduation, falling in drills, enraged instructors, or natural causes, because a knife to the back from a jealous peer will quite naturally end your life.
This also could use some more flow. For instance;

The most notorious fighting school, Alcabar, generally starts with about 1000 students; but only a third of them live to graduation, falling from drills, enraged instructors, or natural causes, because a knife to the back from a jealous peer will, quite naturally, end your life.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:18 am

Haha, thanks RGM ^^. Depending on what species of Raykin that your fighting, they specialize in killing, be it with their natural weapons (claws, teeth) or their weapon they learned in one of the fighting schools. For the most part their standard projectile weapons will be a shot gun and pistol like weapon (don't worry they'll have cool names eventually =p)

blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

Post by blood-shard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:35 pm

Hello there, i just thought i'd say you can count me in as scripter/programmer at anytime i just need my laptop fixed first i can stand in as a modeler too anytime if needed, ive been working whit python for as long as ive been around the whole game dev thing andi started learning C/C++ 3 years ago, i would do this for free, mostly because i think the concept is great :D i cant promise i would do you guys any good since you are probably way ahead of me in this whole thing but this is my humble offer. You may take it or leave it :)

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Sounds good Blood-Shard!!! Can you add me on MSN at [email protected]? I most likely won't reply right away because I'm busy working on some assets for the game. Me and my co-leader will most likely cross interview you if you don't mind.

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:06 pm

Timothy wrote:Sounds good Blood-Shard!!! Can you add me on MSN at [email protected]? I most likely won't reply right away because I'm busy working on some assets for the game. Me and my co-leader will most likely cross interview you if you don't mind.
Sure thing mate. Im on my ps3 system at the moment because ive busted my laptop but ill think of an alternative for working if you're in a hurry . ill add you Then ill try and get my laptop fixed as fast as possible ;):My emails:[email protected]

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 pm

Hehe, no you can take your time good sir. ^^

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Timothy wrote:Hehe, no you can take your time good sir. ^^
Thanx man. i lost allot of my own project called Bushido:Combat evolved. it was a freestyle cutting game first person and 3rdperson, i finaly finished the alpha version of the physics engine and it prooved to be allot of fun but when my laptop screwed up and i dident have any other kind of hardware too save it on i lost it .. im screwed. The only way too get my mind off this terrible loss is to work on something else. I was actauly surprised to encounter another game developer and i would be happy too give you my regards and full surport :)

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 pm

Sorry I missed your edit Jimmy, that is why King Rivas is looked down upon by his kin because he does try to communicate in some fashion with the other races. Although he doesn't have the best intentions behind his reasons for communicating with the other races. I'll be adding more lore to the universe to explain how this came to be. Also for you conspiracy theorist....maybe he's a pawn of the Xeroliens? Just a thought....I'll be on for along time Blood-Shard, pretty excited to chat with you. ^^

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Timothy wrote:Blood-Shard, pretty excited to chat with you. ^^
then you must be like the second person ever to feel like that about me xD. The only person on here who likes to talk whit me would be a Super modeler who goes by the name Lotus Wolf. He 's awesome. i learned modeling in blender 3d from him, ive been able too model in all sorts of programs but i would never have figured blender3d whitout him xD. Too me he's the most awesome guy on this forum

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:34 pm

Haha, ^^.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 pm

So Timothy, I think it's been pointed out, but the controls are kind of awkward. Having the Weak, Strong, and Counter buttons next to each other, like mapping them to the buttons A, S, and D, would be a lot more convenient and easier to get used to :)

By the way, surprise :wink: Something I made in about an hour. It's not really finished, but the basic layout is done. Hope you like it!

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:So Timothy, I think it's been pointed out, but the controls are kind of awkward. Having the Weak, Strong, and Counter buttons next to each other, like mapping them to the buttons A, S, and D, would be a lot more convenient and easier to get used to :)

By the way, surprise :wink: Something I made in about an hour. It's not really finished, but the basic layout is done. Hope you like it!
Aww man! I appreciate it so much! I had forgot you mentioned you can do that for me, but we already have a forums :( , we'll be opening it to the public shortly. I'm so sorry :( . I feel like a jerk now.

As far as the controls, yeah, those sound fantastic for keyboard and mouse. The game is going to primarily call for an Xbox 360 controller (or game pad in general). Which I know will be a pain for some, but we'll try our best to make the experience a joy for both keyboard and mouse users, and controller users. Again I'm so sorry for missing the bit about you mentioning the forums :( , hehe. I'll make it up to you. I promise.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey, no problem, I had fun doing it and was bored :) I can always later convert it into something else if needed, too, so don't feel bad.

Anyways, that sounds great; using game pads is a cool idea and opens up some possibilities, and having it available for Keyboard/Mouse as well is convenient for the players. Sounds like you guys have put a lot of thought into the game so far, eagerly waiting to see how it turns out over the years :D