Chaos

Anything else
Timothy

Re: Programmer Needed

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Haha, God forbid it takes "years", but yeah we are too. Its going to be a wild ride. I'm open to discuss multiplayer to. This is where this game is really going to shine.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Hmm, alright, multiplayer; how diverse would the game modes be? Like, just plain old death match would be fun enough, and maybe a Capture The Flag mode or something similar, but how about some unique ones? Seeing as the main player is an assassin, maybe a game mode where one team tries to kill an unarmed NPC while the other teams tries to protect them.

Remember, branching out and being as original as possible gives the game that extra shine that makes people really appreciate it that much more, but of course, sticking with the same old same old is enough of a challenge :)

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:51 pm

I'd really recommend against trying to do multiplayer, at least not before the game has a good grounding. Mostly because of the extra costs it would take to host servers (unless you're planning on 2-5 players hosted on their own computers).

You should build the game first, and then think about multiplayer.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Hmm, alright, multiplayer; how diverse would the game modes be?
Again, dwarf throwing!

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:11 pm

Timothy wrote:\Image
^Raykin^? or a Prilan? just a thought. any way, Horde and conquest seem like some nice ideas.
but if Death match, Capture the flag, and Team death match also have the 6 player limit. it could get pretty dull with these large scale environments you're planing to make.

i would say a bit more but i have to get some sleep. can't wait for the forums. :D

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:22 pm

We aren't going to work on the multiplayer for some time to come BigCheese, but it would be foolish not to have it thought out already seeing as it'd be rather boring to just have a single player experience no matter how fun it is, you'll still always wonder why there wasn't a multiplayer. Specially with the background and diversity of the races.

Horde: This game mode is the same as its name sake, 5 players will try to survive as long as possible against a horde of Raykins, Prilans, and eventually Xeroliens. Each increasing Horde will be have more enemies to defeat then the last Horde. In 10 round increments the damage done to the player by enemies in the Horde will increase by .5

Capture The Flag: Traditional Capture The Flag, but of course with the unique type of characters in the game you can't expect this to be your normal take on the mode. Magic users of each team will have some interesting things they can do for this game mode. With illusion magic they will be able to make it appear as if there are multiple flags, this is where your more intelligent members of the team come into play (the stat intelligent, not actual player intelligences) the more intelligent the character the less likely they'll be fulled by an illusion.

Conquest: This is the big one boys. I apologize if I can't quite sum it up into proper words. Better yet, watch this space in the future. I'll edit it with a level layout to show how it would work. Will give you a far more clearer picture.

Death Match: Standard Death Match game mode.

Team Death Match: Standard Team Death Match

There will be more, but of course like Bighcheese said, our priority is to get a solid foundation for the whole game. Yikes, didn't notice the typo in the document for Conquest, that should in fact be 12 players max. Screwed up, sorry guys. ^^, also that is a Raykin that has been Gene Spliced =)

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:40 pm

For those of you who don't know what it is, we will try to take full advantage of the PhysX PPU system. You can see some of its prowess in this video here.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:17 pm

Wow, looks cool. Just hope it won't increase the minimum system requirements too much, some people have got old computers (like me :lol: )

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Hehe, well you'll be able to turn PhsyX off if your graphics card doesn't support it. Most newer Nvidia cards do, so you should be alright.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Timothy wrote:you may drool if you want to...
EXCUSE ME WHILE I GOT GET A MOP

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Hot damn, this game just seems to get better and better. Timothy, if the wolfire team wasn't occupying my indie hero status, you might have just made it. :shock:

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Haha, they occupy my list as well ^^. Guys like them drive us to do what we do.

Here is another tidbit.

Gene Splicers:Gene splicing was outlawed in the year 2197, now sold as an underground drug, any race has the ability to gene splice, but the more extreme outbreaks of the cases come from the human controlled planets. The Cardius Faction, a human faction led by Lansing Cardius, wishes to break away from King Darius rule, while other factions such as this exist, none make their point as violently as the Cardius faction. Their power as increased in recent years as they've started to manufacture gene splicing agents themselves. Gene splicing is the act of mixing the genes of one species with another, minimal usage generally causes nothing but a rush, but continual or large dosage his extremely noticeable effects, the Prilan elite guard is spliced with Elephant genes for instance, you'll find more and more races have been gene splicing to add to the power of certain military groups. Law enforcers are more often then not, turning a blind eye to gene splicing.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:59 am

Jimmy Jazz wrote:Hot damn, this game just seems to get better and better. Timothy, if the wolfire team wasn't occupying my indie hero status, you might have just made it. :shock:
Obviously the plans are getting better and better. Plans are always great. How it all works out is a different matter. I've found that out few times myself. :( Good luck to you guys, hope you don't have to rely on it.

What game engine are you using, or planning to use? I didn't find that many Python engines at a glance. PySoy, Blender game engine, a custom one?

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:30 am

A brand new game engine, called Zios.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:43 am

You should be wary of creating your own game engine, especially since no one on your team is a programmer, and you'll be entirely relying on the people who you enlist. With all of the art help you have at the moment it'd probably be a lot easier to use a pre-existing one. Of course, that takes away from the fun and excitement of creating your own game.