WET, full of plagiarism?

Anything else
Pyrokwah

WET, full of plagiarism?

Post by Pyrokwah » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:54 pm

The demo for the game "WET" is out, and it feels just like "Stranglehold", down to the bullet time, dual guns, settings, and definitely the wall runs and such. I mean it looks like a great game, but how much of it is original?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: WET, full of plagiarism?

Post by Blorx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:33 pm

I wouldn't accuse Bethesda of plagiarism. That's just idiotic. Everyone knows that Bethesda are talented developers with amazing concepts of their own.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh I know. I mean, just look at Oblivion. I am in no way accusing them of being in any way talentless, I'm just noting similarities that I saw.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:48 pm

but you accused them of stealing the ideas, or hinted at accusing them.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Well, I am just noting similarities. I mean, I do feel that the games are very similar.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Well its basically the same premise gameplay wise. I can see where your coming from, but mimicing the gameplay of another game isn't that uncommon anymore. Basically note any fps game out now, tons of similarities amongst them.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:10 pm

Awesome, the demo is finally out, I'll have to get it.
As for comparing Stranglehold and WET, I can see the similarities: slow-motion killing, scenery destruction, etc.

Style-wise comparing Stranglehold and WET is like comparing well...Hard Boiled and Kill Bill.
I'm hoping they'll be like two different views of the same thing.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:21 pm

Haha, still playing the demo, I was messing around the in the first room shooting the ice dragons, it reminded me of shooting the dinosaurs in Stranglehold. Just saying..

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Pyrokwah wrote:Haha, still playing the demo, I was messing around the in the first room shooting the ice dragons, it reminded me of shooting the dinosaurs in Stranglehold.
Follow these three steps:
1) Did you have fun shooting the dinosaurs in Stranglehold?
2) Did you have fun shooting the ice dragons in WET?
3) There you go.
Just saying..
No, shut up.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 pm

lolwin

(I have nothing else to contribute)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 am

Pyrokwah wrote:The demo for the game "WET" is out, and it feels just like "Stranglehold", down to the bullet time, dual guns, settings, and definitely the wall runs and such. I mean it looks like a great game, but how much of it is original?

Wait, wall run? Did someone make a kung fu mod for Max Payne? That's so cool! [/sarcasm]

Copying gameplay elements isn't bad. You'd rather play a game with WASD and mouse than AD turns, SX forward/backwards, QE lean left/right, ZC sidestep left/right... or arrow keys and mouse, shift jumps. Or Numpad moves, 0 jumps, enter uses, * reloads. A wheel works so everyone uses it.

Copying the setting is bad. However, if the similarities come from both games being based on Hong Kong kungfu movies, it's like accusing that Final Fantasy is copying Baldur's Gate II. Never played Stranglehold or WET, so I could be wrong and they stole the whole script and just changed the names of the protagonists.

Being original is good, obviously. That's why I preordered. It's not a necessity. That's why I also play TF2.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 am

Video games borrow concepts and mechanics all the time. They also tend to adhere very closely to their chosen genres.

So it's basically meaningless to accuse any given game of plagiarism.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am

Ok, woah. Now you guys are just attacking me. I LIKE THE GAME. I HAVE PLAYED THE DEMO NUMEROUS TIMES OVER. Now that we got that straight (I hope) I was just noting similarities. I do understand that games have some basic understandable similarities. You guys however, are treating me like I was cursing out Bethesda for having guns in a shoot 'em up. I mean seriously.

Lemme just show you what I meant:

1) Wet along with SH has an old feel to it, this is just the theme for Wet, and the origin for SH
2)I don't know much about the games overall setting, but the demo seemed very oriental to me, which obviously has links to SH
3) Same elements such as wall-runs, slides, and bullet time.
4) SH has that infinite clip chargable powerup which feels alot like when Rubi goes all "blood-in-the-face"

I was posting, thinking that people would acknowledge the similarities, and keep their opinions to themselves. I am truly saying that the game feels a lot similar to SH. Don't kill me for it. And, no, I am not saying that Bethesda is talentless, like I said, just look at oblivion.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:05 am

Pyrokwah wrote:I was just noting similarities. I do understand that games have some basic understandable similarities. You guys however, are treating me like I was cursing out Bethesda for having guns in a shoot 'em up. I mean seriously.
Uh... do you see that thread title up there? The one that was presumably chosen by none other then yourself?

It says, "WET, full of plagiarism?"

That title does not suggest the intention of "just noting similarities". It suggests an accusation of, well... plagiarism.
Nor is it conducive to keeping one's opinions to oneself, which brings me to...
Pyrokwah wrote:I was posting, thinking that people would acknowledge the similarities, and keep their opinions to themselves.
Uh... no. This is a forum. On the internet.

If you present your thoughts on a matter, there is nothing to compel everyone else to nod and agree with you. In fact, chances are that some people will vehemently disagree with you. Don't be surprised when they do.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:12 am

On internet:
Fact >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Opinion

IRL:
Who gives?