Metal Heads

Anything else
Uberpwn_w00t

Re: Metal Heads

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:07 pm

*Opens iTunes*

Aghora - Technical/progressive metal band with female vocalist (and a totally awesome bassist). Awesome stuff.

Behold... The Arctopus - Really weird instrumental avant-garde/technical metal band.

Blotted Science - Awesome instrumental technical metal supergroup.

Canvas Solaris - Instrumental technical metal.

Dance Gavin Dance - Meh. The vocals kill it for me for the most part, but the instrumentation can be neat. This is what the trendy kids call mathcore, I think. Somethingcore. Who knows.

Dream Theater - What, do you live under a rock? Dream Theater is THE progressive metal band.

An Endless Sporadic - Instrumental progressive metal/rock. These guys are fantastic. Not enough people know about them. Go check them out. Now.

The Fall of Troy - I guess this is what the trendy kids call mathcore. Honestly, I find it hard to put bands like these into any genre. But they're fantastic.

The Fucking Champs - Instrumental progressive metal. Imagine a progressive Iron Maiden, minus vocals.

Indricothere - Side project of the guy from Behold... The Arctopus. Strange (which is to be expected), but pretty neat.

John Petrucci - Once again, do you live under a rock? Guitarist from Dream Theater, does solo stuff. If you like Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment, check it out.

Liquid Tension Experiment - John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess, Tony Levin. Instrumental experimental progressive metal supergroup. Simply amazing.

Marc A. Pullen - Does music for a lot of freeware FPS games. Most notably Sauerbraten, which is where I discovered his music. Meshuggah is one of his biggest influences. Most of his stuff is instrumental, and it's hard to classify his music because he dabbles in a few areas. His newer stuff, I would classify as instrumental progressive technical metal. You can download his stuff for free, look him up on Last.fm. I recommend his album 'Odious'.

Mastodon - Yet again, do you live under a rock? Progressive metal.

Pelican - Instrumental... Uhhh... What do people call this again? Post-metal? I dunno. It's good.

Protest the Hero - Progressive metal. I've heard it compared to The Fall of Troy, but I fail to see the similarity. They're awesome though.

Scale the Summit - Instrumental progressive technicalesque self-dubbed 'adventure metal'. It's really good.

Stemage - One dude. Most notable for Metroid Metal. He also has original stuff. It's all good. Hard to believe it comes from one guy. Granted, he has guest musicians in some of the Metroid Metal stuff.

Tetrafusion - Progressive metal. Their first LP 'Absolute Zero' is an instrumental concept album, but their second album will have vocals when it is released. Absolute Zero is phenomenal, and I expect no less of their second album.

That was just the metal stuff on my iTunes. I could go on and on. I could go on and on even longer if I weren't confined to just metal.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:16 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:*Opens iTunes*

Aghora - Technical/progressive metal band with female vocalist (and a totally awesome bassist). Awesome stuff.

Behold... The Arctopus - Really weird instrumental avant-garde/technical metal band.

Blotted Science - Awesome instrumental technical metal supergroup.

Canvas Solaris - Instrumental technical metal.

Dance Gavin Dance - Meh. The vocals kill it for me for the most part, but the instrumentation can be neat. This is what the trendy kids call mathcore, I think. Somethingcore. Who knows.

Dream Theater - What, do you live under a rock? Dream Theater is THE progressive metal band.

An Endless Sporadic - Instrumental progressive metal/rock. These guys are fantastic. Not enough people know about them. Go check them out. Now.

The Fall of Troy - I guess this is what the trendy kids call mathcore. Honestly, I find it hard to put bands like these into any genre. But they're fantastic.

The Fucking Champs - Instrumental progressive metal. Imagine a progressive Iron Maiden, minus vocals.

Indricothere - Side project of the guy from Behold... The Arctopus. Strange (which is to be expected), but pretty neat.

John Petrucci - Once again, do you live under a rock? Guitarist from Dream Theater, does solo stuff. If you like Dream Theater or Liquid Tension Experiment, check it out.

Liquid Tension Experiment - John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess, Tony Levin. Instrumental experimental progressive metal supergroup. Simply amazing.

Marc A. Pullen - Does music for a lot of freeware FPS games. Most notably Sauerbraten, which is where I discovered his music. Meshuggah is one of his biggest influences. Most of his stuff is instrumental, and it's hard to classify his music because he dabbles in a few areas. His newer stuff, I would classify as instrumental progressive technical metal. You can download his stuff for free, look him up on Last.fm. I recommend his album 'Odious'.

Mastodon - Yet again, do you live under a rock? Progressive metal.

Pelican - Instrumental... Uhhh... What do people call this again? Post-metal? I dunno. It's good.

Protest the Hero - Progressive metal. I've heard it compared to The Fall of Troy, but I fail to see the similarity. They're awesome though.

Scale the Summit - Instrumental progressive technicalesque self-dubbed 'adventure metal'. It's really good.

Stemage - One dude. Most notable for Metroid Metal. He also has original stuff. It's all good. Hard to believe it comes from one guy. Granted, he has guest musicians in some of the Metroid Metal stuff.

Tetrafusion - Progressive metal. Their first LP 'Absolute Zero' is an instrumental concept album, but their second album will have vocals when it is released. Absolute Zero is phenomenal, and I expect no less of their second album.

That was just the metal stuff on my iTunes. I could go on and on. I could go on and on even longer if I weren't confined to just metal.
I think I love you

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:24 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:Behold... The Arctopus - Really weird instrumental avant-garde/technical metal band.
Living proof that music shouldn't be written using math xDD

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Wow. I haven't checked this in a little while, and am surprised to see so many bands. My goal is to listen to at least one song from each band by the end of the week. Hopefully...

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:23 am

h2ostra wrote:I think I love you
I love me too.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:09 pm

Early, early Underoath is good metalcore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhesBn3qF2s

So is Suicide Silence.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOSx62c2Ic

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 am

Uberpwn_w00t wrote: I love me too.
ha, I say that all the time. we're like, TWINSIES!!! OMG!

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:35 am

h2ostra wrote:
Uberpwn_w00t wrote: I love me too.
ha, I say that all the time. we're like, TWINSIES!!! OMG!
then i guess that means were like TRIPLETZIES OMFG!!!!

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:09 pm

zoidberg rules wrote: then i guess that means were like TRIPLETZIES OMFG!!!!
ROFFLE

but anyway, back to metal:

The Ocean. I put them in my "honorable mentions," (ok, side note, but this has been bothering me lately: in this situation, does the comma go INSIDE or OUTSIDE the quotes?) but now I am taking them out, and giving them their own little thingity. They combine very heavy riffs with orchestral instrumentation and atmospheric interludes in to this kind of sludgy, atmospheric, yet punishing progressive metal, with heavy hardcore influence. I have had their album Precambrian for a while, and was quite happy with it, but then I rust yesterday picked up their re-release of Fluxion, and it is amazing. They're like the soundtrack to the most "epic" movie you've ever seen, but with metal.
Recommended Songs: Rhyacian, Orosirian, The Human Stain. And so many others

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:18 pm

h2ostra wrote:
zoidberg rules wrote: then i guess that means were like TRIPLETZIES OMFG!!!!
ROFFLE

but anyway, back to metal:

The Ocean. I put them in my "honorable mentions," (ok, side note, but this has been bothering me lately: in this situation, does the comma go INSIDE or OUTSIDE the quotes?) but now I am taking them out, and giving them their own little thingity. They combine very heavy riffs with orchestral instrumentation and atmospheric interludes in to this kind of sludgy, atmospheric, yet punishing progressive metal, with heavy hardcore influence. I have had their album Precambrian for a while, and was quite happy with it, but then I rust yesterday picked up their re-release of Fluxion, and it is amazing. They're like the soundtrack to the most "epic" movie you've ever seen, but with metal.
Recommended Songs: Rhyacian, Orosirian, The Human Stain. And so many others
Sounds kinda like Suffocate for Fuck Sake or Isis. Listen to them too. Awesome progressive rock.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:44 pm

Blorx wrote: Sounds kinda like Suffocate for Fuck Sake or Isis. Listen to them too. Awesome progressive rock.
Isis is awesome. I'll have to check out the other one

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:Dance Gavin Dance - Meh. The vocals kill it for me for the most part, but the instrumentation can be neat. This is what the trendy kids call mathcore, I think. Somethingcore. Who knows.
Just noticed this. I wouldn't call them mathcore. They're progressive rock mixed with hardcore...kinda. But yeah. I love the vocals, personally. I think every vocalist who has performed for the band has been quite exceptional. Jonny Craig is currently one of the biggest collaborators in the music scene, Kurt Travis is an exceptionally fitting replacement and Jon Mess was one of the most odd-sounding scream vocalists I've ever heard...he was bizarre. I liked that. No, I loved that.

Bring on DBM2.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:30 pm

the metal thread must not fade away!

One of my new metal obsessions is Agalloch. I just picked up Ashes Against the Grain a week or two ago, after considering it for a long time, and it has not disappointed. Anyone else like this band? kind of like an older Opeth-esque combination of progressive metal with doom, black metal, folk and post-rock influences. Quite beautiful.

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:26 pm

SikTh.

Weird. Ass. Band. REALLY GOOD, but bizarre. I don't even know what genre to put them in. They are reminescent of Protest the Hero at times, but they're generally heavier, and less focused on the fretwanking sweep picking arpeggio stuff that Protest the Hero likes to stick into their stuff. It's kind of like listening to breakdowns that last for the length of an ordinary song, with really bizarre, eclectic vocals. And every once and a while, they'll stop and get real nice and quiet, and you'll forget who you're listening to, because you'll get lost in the beauty of the melodic bass tapping, complimented by the glistening guitar chords... And then they'll fuck with your head again.

It's kind of like getting yelled at by a schizo while you're being baragged by technical riffage on both sides.

It's insane. I love it.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:08 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:SikTh.
SikTh's guitarist Dan Weller did the guitar production for Enter Shikari's second album "Common Dreads". He's a talented man.

SikTh were pretty awesome.