Metal Heads

Anything else
h2ostra

Re: Metal Heads

Post by h2ostra » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:17 am

Reviving this thread to share some of my most recent discoveries and listening habits.

Anaal Nathrakh. Black metal with industrial and grindcore influence. They are pretty damn aggressive, and have some awesome rhythms in their music. Also, clean production, which, while I'm fine with pretty muddy production in a lot of more atmospheric black metal bands, really does fit their music. They also have some pretty 'epic' clean vocals (not whiny).
Recommended Songs: "When The Lion Devours Both Dragon And Child", "The Unbearable Filth Of The Soul"

Converge. Metallic hardcore/mathcore. I don't usually listen to this kind of music, but their newest album, Axe to Fall, absolutely blew me away. From the beginning of the first song, it is absolutely crazy, and has some fairly progressive elements, but without making them sound 'forced' into the music. This may be the best album of the year. if you don't already listen to them, I highly advise you start now.
Recommended Songs: "Dark Horse", "You Fail Me"

Amesoeurs. French black metal/shoegaze. I never really listened to much shoegaze or post-punk before, but after hearing this band, I think I'll look into it. Clean female and screamed vocals over sometimes blast beats, sometimes atmospheric, alternative kind of stuff. Very interesting. Unfortunately, they only released an EP and a full-length, then broke up, but you can still hear some of guitarist/vocalist Neige's work in his other band, Alcest.
Recommended Songs: "Heurt", "Trouble (Éveils Infâmes)"

Sunn O))). Drone Metal. This is very different from my previous conceptions of what 'music' was. I only have their most recent album, Monoliths and Dimensions, but it is, for large sections of the album completely devoid of both melody and rhythm, forming what is more of an atmosphere than music in the conventional sense.
Recommended Songs: "Aghartha", "Alice"

have fun

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:50 pm

enter shikari

used to hate them, gave them a try and now, well...<3

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Time for resurrection. Image

I've actually come to listen to a lot of the bands listed here on my own. I was in to Dance Gavin Dance for a spell, but the vocals got really annoying. Like, the screaming was great (Jon Mass I believe?), but when it comes to actual singing, Jonny Craig has the most annoying voice ever. Greatest songs they ever performed: People You Know and Lemon Meringue Tie.

h20stra would be proud, as Gojira is my favorite band. I never get tired of their songs and they're going to release a new album soon. Greatest songs: the entire first half of From Mars to Serius. Backbone, Ocean Planet, From the Sky. It also has a kickass album cover.

Anaal Nathrakh, another of my favorite bands. Der Holle Rache is by far my favorite song.

Carnifex, do I really need to say more? The old stuff is the good stuff, I'm not really into their newer stuff. It's not as, uh, brutal? Yeah, brutal. It's like having someone take a bat to your ear. I love it.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm

Pfft. The only three metal bands I listen to are Blue Oyster Cult, Ensiferum and Fintroll.
Gotta have dat Finnish folk metal.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:42 pm

Ensiferum is great lol. I still have my Dragonheads shirt!

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:46 pm

*High five*
I do not own a Dragonheads shirt.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:16 am

Ooh. Ooh! Ensiferum, I showed you that! Image

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Yes, you did. And you deserve the internets for it. My favorite thing to do in my game design class is to turn on Tumman Virran Taa and start singing along out loud. So kewl.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Haha. That's awesome.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Inorite? And your not even on this end of the planet.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:17 pm

Latest additions to my "I love this shit" folder.

A Day To Remember - "Homesick" is a great album but "What Separates Me From You" is better.
While She Sleeps - Not a massive band but still damn good.

ElectricFinga

Post by ElectricFinga » Mon May 14, 2012 1:10 pm

Just sayin'. I would not consider Metallica to have primarily power ballads, I don't suppose you have heard their old stuff, or even their new. I am assuming you have come to that conclusion from "Nothing Else Matters" and you didn't give it a second thought, well, if you haven't already, because I doubt nobody has said this already (I don't feel like looking through all the asnwers), have a quick listen to "The Day that Never Comes". Yes it has a slow start, no it is not a power ballad. Also "Suicide and Redemption" there is no way on Earth I will forgive you if you call this a power ballad. So, just to give you my opinion, please try to listen to more than just a few songs before you judge a whole band that has been playing for 40 odd years.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu May 31, 2012 10:16 am

ElectricFinga wrote:Just sayin'. I would not consider Metallica to have primarily power ballads, I don't suppose you have heard their old stuff, or even their new. I am assuming you have come to that conclusion from "Nothing Else Matters" and you didn't give it a second thought, well, if you haven't already, because I doubt nobody has said this already (I don't feel like looking through all the asnwers), have a quick listen to "The Day that Never Comes". Yes it has a slow start, no it is not a power ballad. Also "Suicide and Redemption" there is no way on Earth I will forgive you if you call this a power ballad. So, just to give you my opinion, please try to listen to more than just a few songs before you judge a whole band that has been playing for 40 odd years.
I used to listen to them religiously, and actually still have most of their albums on my computer. Either way, they're really not my thing anymore.

UPDATE: Marilyn Manson. May not be metal per se, but pretty close.

Memento_Mori

Post by Memento_Mori » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:18 am

Animals As Leaders

Born of Osiris

Opeth

Amon Amarth

At The Gates

Kalmah

Whitechapel

oh and Hi guys :D just spreading some love.

confused

Post by confused » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:26 pm

joining the resurrection, although many honourable mentions this collection is still lacking a lot.
however i also found some nice stuff that was new to me, thanks guys!

Darkest Hour ( With a Thousand Words to Say But One)

Machine Head ( This is the End)

Buckethead (Moths to Flame)

Suidakra (Darkane Times)