Blorx's search for the ultimate MMORPG

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Blorx's search for the ultimate MMORPG

Post by Blorx » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Okay so, I've posted a few threads about MMOs. I give up with that. So now, I'm just going to go on a quest to find, what is in my opinion, the best.

Previously: WoW, EvE, Fallen Earth, Wurm, Dofus, Toontown, Pirates of the Caribbean, Scions of Fate, La Tale, Maple Story, MegaTen Online, etc, etc, etc.

Soon: Knights of Dream City, Aion, MORTAL ONLINE?!?!!?!!!?!?!???!

Now:

Darkfall

Part 1: Starting out

So I started out in Darkfall yesterday and my time's been a peculiar one. I haven't played much yet, but I started out as a Mahirim, got my two starter quests, damned the lack of an actual tutorial, damned the fact that the reward for the quests was your starting armor and that my starting weapon was a leafblade (seriously...), tried to get my bearings on the GUI, set the graphics settings to "playable at more than 10 fps" and headed out to find where the hell I was going to kill my required 8 goblins (or so I thought) between the two quests. I started out fine. I found the goblins and everything. Then a player came out from behind a tree, tried to gank me and forced me to run away zigzagging so I didn't die. Yes, I was zigzagging. Combat in Darkfall is completely twitch-based. I ran back to heal up, got disconnected, logged back in, got disconnected, damned my brother's computer and spent most of last night and today figuring out why Boot Camp wasn't working and getting XP and Darkfall set up on my Macbook Pro.

Before continuing, I guess I should tell you that Darkfall is classless, level-less, and all skills are built up by using them. Even run and sprint are skills that need to be built up. Not to mention, there's a skill cap and you have to be careful what skills you max. You can't max them all. It won't let you.

Later, I logged back in.

This time, I found the goblins with ease. I knew where I was going. No other players this time, nothing holding me back. SHIT! Not only is the one I was after chasing me, but 2 of his friends nearby are chasing me too. RRRRUUUUNNNNN!!! I DON'T HAVE ANY ARMOR! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ABUSE! Damn, gotta fight. WAIT! *lightbulb* I can attack whatever is in m swing. *ganks two of them and then the last runs off where he is chased down and ganked.*

I seem to be doing fine right? Wrong. In this time I nearly died. So I ran to safety, waited to heal (don't have a staff to cast the basic healing spell) and killed the last one for that quest before realizing that looting was a pain in the ass and I didn't want to finish the second quest yet so I'd go back, talk to some people and generally mess around for a bit.

Wow was that weird. One guy literally told me to bank all of my stuff so I would lose it when I die (yeah, you have to loot yourself if you die to get your stuff back if it's in your backpack when you die) and then used me as a punching bag so that he could lose alliance and then become a rogue. Not sure why he wanted to, but at least he paid and was considerate enough to ask me to bank my stuff beforehand so I wouldn't lose it. It really must have been important to him.

The rest of my time consisted of banking that cash earned from the literal oddjob, running out, attacking goblins, running back to heal, looting said goblins, damning the fact that they all came in mobs and you couldn't just get one alone easily, and generally enjoying the fresh breath of air that was Darkfall and wondering if Mortal Online was a blatant ripoff of Morrowind/Oblivion and Darkfall.

I really don't know why it has bad reviews quite yet. Maybe I'll find out, but that's all I've done so far so yeah. Until next time.

Sandurz

Re: Blorx's search for the ultimate MMORPG

Post by Sandurz » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:24 pm

I'd suggest Puzzle Pirates. Just sayin!

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:36 pm

Haha I used to play Puzzle Pirates before the dubloon servers. Good game. The paid servers have great, friendly, social communities. Not sure about the dubloon servers. Free tends to attract a lot of douchebags.

Fun Fact: Darkfall is a hardcore, open PvP (only starter towns and capitals don't have open PvP), sandbox MMORPG. Anything less than hardcore is considered "carebear." No exceptions, that's the term used by everyone in Darkfall. xD

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 am

Maplestory.

Ah. Maplestory.

I had two tries at Maplestory. A warrior (or whatever the "hitting things with my stick" class was called) and a wizard. Wizard didn't have enough mana to be effective, warrior had all the wrong skills (and became a warrior too late because I didn't upgrade my strength enough >.>) and since then I haven't bothered with it.

Darkfall sounds interesting though. Time for google.
EDIT: I just looked at the price. Maybe I'll stick with City of Heroes. :P

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:21 am

invertin wrote:EDIT: I just looked at the price. Maybe I'll stick with City of Heroes. :P
Haha, yeah...Darkfall is one I researched for 2 months before finally buying because of the lack of trial. Finally bought it after deciding it might be the challenge I'm looking for. Can't say I'm disappointed, the reviewers are just spoiled carebears lmao. I'm just doing this because I hope it'll help other people. Eventually I'll transfer it to a blog with how ever many entries I can get in for a game before I get sick of the game. Then, I'll move on to another, or if I'm playing a p2p MMO, like Darkfall, I may play an f2p MMO on the side.

Uberpwn_w00t

Post by Uberpwn_w00t » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:31 pm

Infinity: The Quest for Earth will be the best MMO on the face of the planet(s) when it comes out.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Uberpwn_w00t wrote:Infinity: The Quest for Earth will be the best MMO on the face of the planet(s) when it comes out.
I plan on doing a full blog on it when it's out dude. Daily updates maybe. ;)

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm gonna check out Star Wars: the old republic whenever they finish it... hope it's good, I love Star Wars :)

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Untadaike wrote:I'm gonna check out Star Wars: the old republic whenever they finish it... hope it's good, I love Star Wars :)
I've been watching a lot of different MMO community forums for topics about this game. As they reveal more, everyone seems less and less enthusiastic to play it.

My favorite opinion on the game so far is: If everyone's a Jedi, will it really be such a badass thing to be one anymore?

or something of the sort. It was talking about how MMOs are ruining the badassness of being a certain type of awesome thing.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:41 pm

My full MMO resume:

1. World of Warcraft
2. Darkfall (playing)
3. EvE
4. Clan Lord (playing)
5. Age of Armor
6. Wurm
7. RAN Online (playing)
8. Oberin
9. A Tale in the Desert
10. Rappelz
11. Last Chaos
12. Guild Wars
13. Runescape
14. Maple Story
15. Fallen Earth
16. FlyFF
17. MegaTen: Imagine
18. Ragnarok Online
19. Perfect World
20. Phantasy Star Online
21. PlaneShift
22. Toontown Online
23. Dofus
24. Pirates of the Caribbean
25. Gekkeiju Online
26. La Tale
27. Scions of Fate
28. Hello Kitty Online
29. Metin 2
30. Silkroad
31. RF Online
32. Rakion
33. SAGA
34. Twelve Sky
35. ROSE Online
36. Star Wars Galaxies
37. Sword of the New World
38. Warhammer Online
39. Puzzle Pirates
40. Vendetta Online
41. The Realm Online
42. Tibia
43. StarQuest Online
44. Rubies of Eventide
45. Meridian 59
46. NeoSteam
47. Lord of the Rings Online
48. Lineage
49. Fusion Fall
50. DOMO
51. Asheron's Call
52. Cronous
53. Dead Frontier
54. Earth Eternal
55. Dungeon Runners
56. Cities XL
57. Graal
58. Fantasy Online

Want to play: Aion, Knights of Dream City, Huxley, Mortal Online, Guild Wars 2, Infinity: Quest for the Earth

Playing means I'm currently subscribed or active or whatever depending on the game.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:47 am

Yay, Vendetta Online! Love that game.

A lot of those titles are unknown to me, though. Maybe I should skip part of the list through google to see how many are macish.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Blorx wrote:
Untadaike wrote:I'm gonna check out Star Wars: the old republic whenever they finish it... hope it's good, I love Star Wars :)
I've been watching a lot of different MMO community forums for topics about this game. As they reveal more, everyone seems less and less enthusiastic to play it.

My favorite opinion on the game so far is: If everyone's a Jedi, will it really be such a badass thing to be one anymore?

or something of the sort. It was talking about how MMOs are ruining the badassness of being a certain type of awesome thing.
Yeah, I've been feeling the same way recently. If they're trying to get a balance with skill levels between the classes, then being a Jedi and being challenged to slice through a puny smuggler wouldn't be very fun at all.

Maybe 50 years from now there will be a virtual reality that can be lived, in the Star Wars universe, lol.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:40 pm

Adding on: Playing Final Fantasy XI on 360 too now. Gonna make a post on it as soon as the 3 and a half hour initial update is done. This should be interesting. xD

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:42 am

Final Fantasy XI

Part 1: The Eternal Wait to Actually Play the Damn Game

After buying the game again because the computer version didn't want to work with Parallels (and my Windows partition was filled by Darkfall xD) and taking the Xbox 360 from a very angry brother living with the other parent and waiting anxiously for Halo: ODST, I went home and loaded up the game.

First thing that pissed me off is that on the 360, for some reason, it wouldn't take the debit card as a source of payment no matter what I did. So I went on my Windows partition, installed just the PlayOnline Viewer and set up an account, which I then put in on the 360 and went on with life.

Guess what! Installation took an hour and a half and patching took about 3 hours. Add in the time it took me to realize I needed to actually buy a content ID and the time to just generally venture around the PlayOnline Viewer and that's a lot of time there. I wasn't allowed anything other than very short music loops during either for entertainment. I ended up leaving the 360 on and watching TV while I waited, because I couldn't stand the damn music any longer.

After I finally got the game up, I decided to play an Elvaan warrior in San d'Oria on the Fenrir server. I started out watching the cinematic and then got completely lost from there. I ended up going the opposite direction from the main section of town and didn't figure it out until in my venturing, I ended up right back where they started me.

After finally finding my way out of Port San d'Oria and to the magical land the Quick Start Guide called Southern San d'Oria, I started shouting randomly that I needed help, grabbed the first quest the Quick Start Guide told me to, realized the quest was way above me, proceeded to get help, got a Linkshell group (called -Hellokitty- xD) [they're kinda like clans] and went out to level. First thing I killed was a rabbit. Then more rabbits, and worms, and bats and so on and so forth. Several times I died at the hands of orcs and stronger bats.

I should probably make note here that it took me a while to figure out where my sword was and that it wasn't equipped yet. I should also note that getting around towns and, as would be pretty obvious, anywhere else, is a total pain in the ass for new players, as you don't yet have a chocobo and you walk at normal MMORPG speed in a world that is pretty much enormous. I haven't yet found a run/spring option. As consequence, it took about 10 minutes to traverse from Port San d'Oria to Southern San d'Oria.

Anyways, the first thing that I noticed when I was fighting things was that, as a Final Fantasy XII veteran, I was oddly at home. You had your little pseudo-turn-based combat with a box of options on the left-hand side for combat. I enjoyed it too. Wow.

After leveling to level 4 and lots of random get-to-know-everyone linkshell chat, I had to get off. I'm about to get back on though, as I'm home sick and bored. End.

Timothy

Post by Timothy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:56 am

If your looking for a good F2P, I suggest picking up Dungeon and Dragons online. Its great fun, better melee system then point and click pieces of crap. Needless to say I should probably stay away from World of Warcraft if I'm slowly getting addicted to a free game. :shock: http://www.ddo.com/