Python, is it really good?

Anything else
Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Python, is it really good?

Post by Lugaruman100 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:25 pm

I was at a book store the other day and I saw this book on python. On the back it had this description about how it was simple to learn and code. I think it was used to make blender and gimp but I'm not completely sure.

Endoperez

Re: Python, is it really good?

Post by Endoperez » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:05 am

Python can be used to code scripts for Blender, and it's also possible to write scripts for Gimp. I don't think Python was used to make them, but I don't really know.

I've also heard many good things about Python, and directed a young guy interested in programming towards it. C is more common, but learning a programming language from scratch can be a scary task. Python seemed more accessible than C.

Here's an article about why one guy likes Python over Perl. It's from 1997, so C, Perl and Python have all changed since, but I think it explains why it's thought to be good.
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882

TheBigCheese

Re: Python, is it really good?

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Blender and Gimp were both written in C++, but they can have scripts that are written in Python.

Python itself is extremely intuitive and easy to learn. If you're new to programming, I definitely suggest it as an early language. However, the extent of its uses are fairly limited. There are a few programs such as Blender that can use Python for scripting, but you can't really make any actual software or programs with it alone. It can be used for command line scripts, just not GUI's.

C itself is actually fairly old. Most programmers nowadays use C++ for software devolopment, though C is still used some places.