The 3d gallery :D Feel free to post your things here.

Anything else
blood-shard
Location: in a house in a heartbeat 28 miles away 28 days later

The 3d gallery :D Feel free to post your things here.

Post by blood-shard » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey guys :D i just thought of making a thread for this because its allways fun you share your works so i thought i'd give this a shot. Just post pictures of things you have made.Allow me to break the silence xD i just made this example weapons (attempted wakizashi/kodachi thingie xD whit the warrior kanji stamped on the blade collar)it wasent ment to look good but just to start off the thread alittle :D

From one angle

blade in the stars

here it is whit the right size

whit the Image
Hammon slightly visible
still work in progress

BTW this is only my second time uv mapping xD sorry if it looks alittle choppy.

nutcracker

Re: The 3d gallery :D Feel free to post your things here.

Post by nutcracker » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:42 am

Stars? whai?

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:26 am

nutcracker wrote:Stars? whai?
>.> whai ? BECUZ AI SAID SOUUUU >:O

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:45 pm

Making a top-level render needs lots of work, like making background, props, rigging and posing any characters you want to show, possibly few dozen various light sources and render time of several hours. I can't do those yet. :D That said, you could improve that render a lot with just a few tricks.

1) One light to cast shadows, at least one light to provide secondary light.
Example: one Area or Spot light that light your object. Look at the "shadow and spot" options area in the light parameters, make sure Ray Shadow and "Adaptive QMC" are on, and set "samples" to something that works on your computer (5? 10?). This will give you main light and decent shadows.

2) Put in a plane to RECEIVE the shadows cast by light 1.
Add a new plane. Give it a new material. In the new material's settings, check "Only Shadow". Position the plane so that object(s) casting shadows are between the plane and light 1. You can lower the alpha value of the plane to get lighter shadows, and warp the plane in some way to get more interesting shadows.
temp.JPG
temp.JPG (12.64 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
3) Change the blue background color into a neutral color; a gray or gray-ish color isn't always optimal, but for most images it's much better than the blue.
You can change the background color on the same page where you can enable background stars, (World buttons, shortcut F8). You can also change the other two colors and vary background from single color to gradient.

4) Get rid of black-as-blackest-night shadows on the unlighted side of the object(s). You can change Ambient color on World buttons, or add a second light (falloff: constant, huge range, casts no shadows and/or doesn't affect specularity). A backlight (another bright-moderately bright light behind the object) can also help a lot.
A silly example
A silly example
I haven't textured any of my recent models yet, but I I'll post them any way.
Attachments
The whiskers of the mouse the moustache of the man will use alpha channel.
The whiskers of the mouse the moustache of the man will use alpha channel.
mouse_render.jpg (11.69 KiB) Viewed 6451 times
I modeled and unwrapped the guy and the mouse in 4½ hours. They're based on a piece of Fable 2 concept art.
I modeled and unwrapped the guy and the mouse in 4½ hours. They're based on a piece of Fable 2 concept art.
A moleman warrior guy, except without the weapon; this is based on a drawing Ylvali posted on the fan art thread.
A moleman warrior guy, except without the weapon; this is based on a drawing Ylvali posted on the fan art thread.

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks mate :) your hints and tips mean allot to me xD you're the first one to help me out ever since i got lotus to help me xD thats a long long long long looooong time ago xD this will come in handy when im going to show off the rest of the sword when its done xD

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:03 pm

Here ive made a new piece of art whit my new obtained skills,Ive made a piece of rubbish work into something gracefull xD kinda... :P Image

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:33 pm

I need to work on my rendering/materials skills ... my materials/renders never seem to do my models justice :?

Then again i didn't really prep this much ... ive already rigged it, i may have to fix some smoothing groups, check for foobar polys (i used 3dsmaxes crappy pro boolean which is not game model friendly) and I need to texture it

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Image

I need to work on my rendering/materials skills ... my materials/renders never seem to do my models justice :?

Then again i didn't really prep this much ... ive already rigged it, i may have to fix some smoothing groups, check for foobar polys (i used 3dsmaxes crappy pro boolean which is not game model friendly) and I need to texture it
This is an amazing model :D great job :)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:44 pm

blood-shard wrote:Here ive made a new piece of art whit my new obtained skills,Ive made a piece of rubbish work into something gracefull xD kinda... :P
Wow, that's a huge improvement! :D I'm not actually sure how one'd make weapon textures (shiny, reflective metal part and soft, leather-y hilt in the same object) for Blender, so I guess I'll have to try that myself. A grayscale shininess and/or reflection/mirror map might do it... Hmm...
Assaultman67 wrote:I need to work on my rendering/materials skills ... my materials/renders never seem to do my models justice :?
I know that feeling. I don't even know how to begin painting a texture, but using photos is always limited by whatever I happen to find from the internet.

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:31 pm

Endoperez wrote:
blood-shard wrote:Here ive made a new piece of art whit my new obtained skills,Ive made a piece of rubbish work into something gracefull xD kinda... :P
Wow, that's a huge improvement! :D I'm not actually sure how one'd make weapon textures (shiny, reflective metal part and soft, leather-y hilt in the same object) for Blender, so I guess I'll have to try that myself. A grayscale shininess and/or reflection/mirror map might do it... Hmm...
Ill be honest with you xD actualy i dont know how i did it my self,it just happened. It looks cool though ^^ im still not as good as Lotus wolf xD his blades even though they arent ment to be super detailed allways have that little perfect placing. Like on the first katana he made,the blade collar is placed right, mine is allways placed alittle too low or alittle too high xD and my handles allways end up looking like they are wrapped in leather because i suck in photo editing and making textures,so i just cant make a prober katana handle wrapped up so it looks right xD.

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:50 am

Heres another blade in its early stages that i made last year for lotus because i wanted him to export it to lugaru but it showed up to be alittle too advanced and it had a few mistakes in it xD this im afraid is the only version of it i can find. The newest version that i send to lotus wents missing but it had along hand protector and some other neat features xD Image

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:27 pm

haha, I remember that!

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:haha, I remember that!

Holy s*** xD thats some good work right there >.> its wierd seing you being this type of artist :D

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah, I did that for school, it's not my usual thing.

blood-shard

Post by blood-shard » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 pm

Hehe :D does look kinda cool though xD I dont realy feel like modeling anymore my self but i do like to see what other people can come up with ^^