Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Anything else
User avatar
Fournine
.hacker
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:07 am
Location: Boron group, period 5

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Fournine » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:37 pm

And thus, Renegade_Turner, god amongst men, did realize within himself a capacity to change, and yet still retain his fearsome powers over those foolhardy enough to challenge his powers. The prolific poster did not flinch at the feeble attacks by the manyfold lesser poster, tokage - and as such, the board maintained the equilibrium it had found over the years.
However, this was merely the beginning of the Ballad of Renegade_Turner, the Alpha Troll.

User avatar
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Robbing the cradle.

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Ren's babies are mine. The rest of you, back off.
Yeah.
Mine.

I could probably add something more thought provoking, but work kills any thought processes I had going on. Unless its cyncism, I could spout cynicism right now.

User avatar
Ragdollmaster
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Ding ding ding, R_T wins yet another slightly pointless debate.

tokage, your consolation prize is the following: You will not be castrated by a shark. Congratulations! Thanks for playing the "Argue with Ren" game, the game you can never win. To play again, insert 4 quarters.

User avatar
Fournine
.hacker
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:07 am
Location: Boron group, period 5

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Fournine » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Gray - can I watch you snatch them?

User avatar
tokage
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: In a meat machine

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by tokage » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: The difference is you wouldn't accept it even if you were wrong.
Well, I would accept, but as a matter of fact(you even admit it) I was right here, so I don't need to change.

I still consider myself the winner of this discussion. Usually you start a discussion with different viewpoints and try to persuade the discussion partner to change his view more towards your own. That I accomplished. That you can't "win" against the argument "But I am a god, I am special, so you are wrong.", which is kind of childish in it self, is out of the question. But you shoudn't expect less from Ren, I guess.

For those others who applaude Ren, point taken, but your conclusion that it is over, yet, was a bit premature.

User avatar
Fournine
.hacker
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:07 am
Location: Boron group, period 5

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Fournine » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Y'know, this wasn't ever really a debate. There was never a contest to be won. In an essence you're both losers for disputing over who won a pissing match.

It started with Ren bitching over generic IT help always blanketing "it's a driver problem - update your drivers." He even hung a lantern illuminating it was merely a rant.

Tokage made the valid point that many issues are minor, overlooked problems, including driver issues. Then he stated that he found driver issues to be a more frequently the needed fix for his issues.

Ren countered with an exasperated sigh that he wasn't an idiot. Reading under this, I assume he was stating that he only goes to IT help after he exhausts common issues, such as drivers, unplugged cords, and peanut butter stuck in the intrinsic field inverter.
He then explained that his rant was due to IT help assuming everyone, including him, was an idiot.

Tokage misinterpreted Ren's statements, claiming he claimed that IT shouldn't tell people the simple fixes, merely because Ren didn't consider himself an idiot, and thus not a target for the advice. Therefore, Ren had no reason to write a rant.

Ren stated that removing the blanket statement wasn't his aim, and that he was justified in ranting about it because - as a superior being - being condoned to with a blanket comment for idiots was insulting.

Tokage made quotes, implying a contradiction in Ren's statements by quoting the topic title - which is a summary or attention-getting label, not necessarily an assertion - and a latter comment that followed logically within the context of the discussion.

Ren stated that Tokage's attempt at pointing out a contradiction was foolish.
Ren explained that he had cooled down since his original rant and the latter quote.

Tokage proclaimed himself the winner of an imaginary debate, because Ren relented to one point of contest on tech support policy, thereby invoking Danth's Law:
Danth’s Law (also known as Parker’s Law)
States: “If you have to insist that you've won an internet argument, you've probably lost badly.” Named after a user on the role-playing gamers’ forum RPG.net.

Danth’s Law was most famously declared in “The Lenski Affair”, between microbiologist Richard Lenski and the editor of Conservapedia.com, Andrew Schlafly, who cast doubt upon Prof Lenski’s elegant experimental demonstration of evolution.

After what is widely held to be one of the greatest and most comprehensive put-downs in scientific argument from Prof Lenski, Mr Schlafly declared himself the winner. [1]
Ren stated he was a superior human being for having realized a change within himself.

I wrote a ballad in parody. Gray restated a desire to claim Ren's children - probably for making meat sauce. Ragdoll pointed out the hopelessness of attempting to debate with Ren.

Tokage resurrected what should've been a dead thread, in an attempt to reassert his dominance within a minor pissing match within a pointless-threads category within a forum for an indie game.

Then I wrote a summary in attempt to end this pointless crap, mostly because I'm avoiding doing actual work and partly because I thought it would be amusing to write.

TL;DR - shut up, all of you.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:07 am

tokage wrote:That you can't "win" against the argument "But I am a god, I am special, so you are wrong.", which is kind of childish in it self, is out of the question. But you shoudn't expect less from Ren, I guess.

For those others who applaude Ren, point taken, but your conclusion that it is over, yet, was a bit premature.
Wow, you really took that seriously didn't you?

User avatar
Grayswandir
Short end of the stick
Posts: 3655
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:37 am
Location: Robbing the cradle.

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:15 am

Fournine wrote:I wrote a ballad in parody. Gray restated a desire to claim Ren's children - probably for making meat sauce.
Perhaps I should have worded that as "...bear Renegade_Turner's children," although I have stated that I would love to eat someone's children. So, I could see how confusion could arise.

User avatar
Fournine
.hacker
Posts: 938
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:07 am
Location: Boron group, period 5

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Fournine » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:48 pm

I am surprised you read that far.


Y'know what we need? Sarcasm tags, or some kind of punctuation to denote sarcasm.
I vote for temporarily using bold, purple font until we can come up with a solution.

User avatar
Endoperez
Posts: 5668
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:41 am
Location: cold and dark and lovely Finland

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Fournine wrote:I am surprised you read that far.


Y'know what we need? Sarcasm tags, or some kind of punctuation to denote sarcasm.
I vote for temporarily using bold, purple font until we can come up with a solution.
Awesome! :lol: One of the best quips I've read the whole year.

User avatar
BlackHole
Posts: 452
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:08 am
Location: 127.0.0.1
Contact:

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by BlackHole » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Hehe, that made my day. :lol:

But you shouldn't have put the proposal in sarcasm... now nobody will take it seriously. :P

- Black
Courage is not fearlessness, but the mastery of those fears and the ability to overcome them.

User avatar
Renegade_Turner
Gramps
Posts: 6942
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:59 am

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:26 pm

I'm not that sarcastic.

And hey, did he just imply no one takes me seriously? :(

User avatar
Ragdollmaster
Posts: 2343
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:49 am
Location: Island of Lugaru

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:42 pm

I take you seriously, Ren~

User avatar
Zhukov
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:58 am
Location: Elsewhere.

Post by Zhukov » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:43 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:And hey, did he just imply no one takes me seriously? :(
No.

User avatar
tokage
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: In a meat machine

Re: Stop Telling People To Update Their Drivers

Post by tokage » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:11 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: Wow, you really took that seriously didn't you?
Oh come on, you really don't think that, do you? I mean, it is right there in the quote:
tokage wrote: But you shoudn't expect less from Ren, I guess.
I visit this forum for long enough, to know that a serious discussion with Ren is doomed to fail in 99% of the cases, at least if it is not about music.

Also Fournine, nice sum-up. But you also assumed I was taking this seriously. Of course, you are right. This is a troll-thread in the randomness section of an internet forum, calling it a pissing match is giving it too much honor. If you knew all this, why did you assume I was seriously trying to debate with Renegade_Turner, the alpha Troll?

Well as you have started this law business, I could state that you both have fallen victim to Poe's law. You took me seriously.

In fact, I knew about Danth's/Parker's law at the time of posting. I read that article in the Telegraph, too, when it circulated months ago. I predicted rightly, that Ren wouldn't use it. Actually, my comment with the quotes could fall victim to DeMyer's second Law, but maybe the quotes were not long enough:
Anyone who posts an argument on the internet which is largely quotations can be very safely ignored, and is deemed to have lost the argument before it has begun
Also I want to point your attention to the first corollary of Alex's third law
Using a Law of Argumentation (this includes laws such as Danth’s and Godwin’s) as a substitute for logical argumentation is justification for using Alex’s First Law [mainly the discussion is already over] against you.
I guess there is also a law against proclamating a thread dead and trying to end the thread with that, but there may be exceptions for those with admin powers ;) <- this is to avoid Poe's law again

Anyway, I think I got what I wanted, I am amused, as everyone is making fun of Ren because he posts in purple.

Post Reply