R.I.P. my Macbook

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

R.I.P. my Macbook

Post by Blorx » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:08 pm

:cry:

Yeah, I'm torn. Even my girlfriend knows I relied on the thing for pretty much everything I did. Music, gaming, part of my social life, movies, recording, etc.

Now I'm stuck with a "hand-me-down" Mac Mini with an Intel GMA 950 graphics card. I'm not gonna bother posting the other specs. Put bluntly, it came out when Minis were still a new thing and the specs are sub-par even by its release standards.

I'm glad I have a computer still, but I'ma miss the laptop. Dad's apparently going to send it out to Apple over the holidays. I dunno what they'll be able to do though.

Oh and in case anyone's wondering, I dunno how it died. Yesterday, I had it loaded up in the Windows partition and I had closed the laptop, thus putting it to sleep, while I went gift shopping. When I came back and tried to open it, the screen wouldn't come back on. I thought maybe it was just a random glitch and turned it off, when I turned it back on, all I heard was the hard drive spin and saw the light on the clamp release turn on and that's it. No octave start-up sound, no screen output, nothing. Just the hard drive. The Apple rep at Best Buy didn't know what was wrong, but I didn't think he would. Oh well...just saying. I'm now devoid of a gaming computer and have to turn to my 360 for HD video game pwnage.

RIP

Armored Wolf

Re: R.I.P. my Macbook

Post by Armored Wolf » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:26 pm

That sucks big time. My Macbook died three times. I'm still only a supporter of Apple because my PC died 10 times, both over the course of three years.

Although I do think all the "RIP" stuff is a bit melodramatic.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:31 pm

Lol, it's just kinda a joke. My girlfriend wants "a proper funeral." ;)

Overdone on purpose, in short.

Also forgot to post that if anyone's had experience with a GMA 950 I'd appreciate knowing what games work and what games don't. :lol:

DJisbored

Post by DJisbored » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:43 pm

That sucks. Something similar happened to me only instead of getting a worse computer I ended up stealing my dad's (which is still outdated but much better than the one I had)=P

I think they'll be able to fix your computer though. They pretty much guaranteed my dad that, for a few hundred dollars, they could make the thing like brand new (and add extras if you have the money). We're broke so I can't really confirm how truthful they are, but they fixed my HD in less than a day with a store full of customers. (btw just finished reading your post and my old computer did the same thing it ended up fixing itself and running so miserably slow that it took about half an hour to boot now it's still slow but a hell of a lot better)

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:37 am

It's scary how much I depend on my computer. Which is why I want another. My condolences, Blorx.

Starrz

Post by Starrz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:14 pm

Blorx wrote:Yesterday, I had it loaded up in the Windows partition and I had closed the laptop, thus putting it to sleep, while I went gift shopping.
THERES YOU PROBLEMOOOO

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:22 pm

I wouldn't be surprized ... mac does some dirty things in their hardware architecture ...

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Starrz wrote:
Blorx wrote:Yesterday, I had it loaded up in the Windows partition and I had closed the laptop, thus putting it to sleep, while I went gift shopping.
THERES YOU PROBLEMOOOO
Yeah, Macs' hardware isn't necessarily good for running Windows.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:42 am

TheBigCheese wrote:
Starrz wrote:
THERES YOU PROBLEMOOOO
Sadly, in my experience no hardware is good for running Windows.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:29 pm

In my experience not all users are good for running Windows. *cough* Ok, no arguing. :P

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:
Starrz wrote:
THERES YOU PROBLEMOOOO
You do realize that Apple has purposely fucked up their hardware architecture so Windows OSes wont run on their computers ... It's not even microsoft's fault! LOL!

They don't want their OS to be driven out of their own mac market ...

Stupid proprietary crap ...

They seem to hold a lot of control over their own companies products ... I once considered developing an iPhone app until i looked into their fine print ...

Im guessing their secrecy will be their own demise though

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:They seem to hold a lot of control over their own companies products ... I once considered developing an iPhone app until i looked into their fine print ...
Android's where it's at. I'm swimming in my background services goodness. :D

RobLikesBrunch

Post by RobLikesBrunch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am

Could you please remove the MacBook's RAM and send it to my P.O. box?

I like to make finger-paint style pictures using MacBook RAM; instead of my finger, I use the RAM! Isn't it just brilliant!?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:57 pm

Lol...well new comp. Asus this time. Vista. =P

something like 2.13 GHz Dual Core processor, nVidia GeForce 9800M GT and 4 GB of RAM. ^^

RobLikesBrunch

Post by RobLikesBrunch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:17 pm

I strongly advise you to wait the two weeks for the Core i3s to ship, or, if you enough money--go for a Core i5 which are out now.

Also...Windows 7?