My Coat of Arms

Anything else
Uberbeard

My Coat of Arms

Post by Uberbeard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:17 am

I had a look at a heritage site dedicated to my family name, and I was pleased to see we had a Coat of Arms (which is a shield, or a crest to serve as a family logo, not a coat made of arms (which would be cool)). It's pretty awesome, and a lot of people have them if they do a bit of digging:

This is it.

It's a bit old school though. I was thinking it could be improved. Open to ridiculous ideas, or have a go at remaking it yourself if you're.. well, bored and sad enough to. I know I am.

Lord_of_Sausage

Re: My Coat of Arms

Post by Lord_of_Sausage » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Looked for mine, but couldn't find it :(

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Would you like one? Lord Sausage.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Arbalest is a name for a huge metal crossbow. Arbalester is the name of a person who used it, and the name dates bac to Normans and France. Your surname must be one of the variations based on this.

Looking at the history of your name, it's no wonder your crest has a bloody arbalest, pardon my Klatchian, and I don't see why you'd want to change that. "Ermine, a crossbow gules" is also pretty classy way to describe it, if you compare it to others...

The headdress above the shield is a sign of rank, and you or your family can't use it unless you hold the appopriate rank.

Anyway, Finland isn't known for aristocratic families so I have no claim to a coat of arms.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Nifty.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Ah Endoperez, you seem to have missed a subtle lick of irony I hoped would arise from this thread.

See, I think my family coat of arms should have like.. a Tank in it, or maybe a Jaguar? I know the lineage of the name, but the last time I used a crossbow was... well, never! Mind you, I don't think I've used a Tank either, so perhaps a Joypad would be more appropriate.

We have a nice history with insulting hand gestures in our family, perhaps a Tank with a Joypad and two people flipping each other off.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Better?

shadow717

Post by shadow717 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm noticing some similarities between TheBigCheese's coat of arms and mine.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:37 pm

I've been aware of my coat of arms since I was little. My grandfather uses it as one of the logos for his company, so I've got lots of nifty stuff lying around with our crest on it.

Out of curiosity, I looked up my GF's coat of arms, and it appears we may have decended from neighboring clans.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:56 pm

Here is one of my ansetral Crests:
Douglas Clan

According to what I remember my grandmother telling me, we were at war with England, and in the heat of battle we killed the Kings Best friend or some thing to this extent. Douglas gained a bounty on its head, those who were smart leave for the high lands and took up the Name Drysdale.

On my Other side known as the Burgess Clan my Grandfather explains that the Burgess were exiled from Briton for hunting the kings game. We retreated to France.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Uberbeard wrote:Ah Endoperez, you seem to have missed a subtle lick of irony I hoped would arise from this thread.

See, I think my family coat of arms should have like.. a Tank in it, or maybe a Jaguar? I know the lineage of the name, but the last time I used a crossbow was... well, never! Mind you, I don't think I've used a Tank either, so perhaps a Joypad would be more appropriate.
I didn't miss, I disagreed. Just your name is reason enough to have the crossbow, just like my surname (linked to rivers) would be reason enough to have a blue, wavy band in the middle as a "river". Crossbow also happens to be an emblem of war and of great power, a little similar to a tank. A tank or a rifle would be a modern equivalent of what a crossbow meant 600 years ago: a symbol of war, great power, and of a professional soldier. I'm not an expert on coats-of-arms, but I've only seen modern weapons in military heraldry: rifle for riflemen, a tank for tank crew, busted tank for tankbusters etc.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:37 pm

shadow717 wrote:I'm noticing some similarities between TheBigCheese's coat of arms and mine.
The knight and the decoration is same, so the bearers would have a similar rank.
Your family's motto means "by sea and land", it seems.

I think it's interesting that Big Cheese's and Chainsawman's families' coats of arms both have that weird "crowned heart" thing. It seems like Douglas (chainsawman's family) c-o-a has it because Sir James Douglas was tasked to bury the heart of a king in the Holy Land... Unless several kings had the same idea, it seems likely that there's some connection between the two families.

Lotus Wolf, are the Scottish crests awesome or what? That's a very cool design. Also, I can't help but notice that your and your GF's ancestral crests go very well together.
Sans Peur: without fear
Amo: I love

edit:
Also a wolf and a deer with that motto, and the deer even has feminine eyes, and the wolf in that pose... Some photoshoppery, a good print and a box of chocolates on a valentines day could really impress a girl. Especially if someone were to show the crest to her before the V-day, e.g. "look, our ancestors are from neighboring clans"... It's sappy enough to be half the plot of a Hollywood movie! :lol:

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:07 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:Image
Wait, does that mean the you have French ancestors?

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:36 am

Endoperez wrote:Lotus Wolf, are the Scottish crests awesome or what? That's a very cool design. Also, I can't help but notice that your and your GF's ancestral crests go very well together.
Sans Peur: without fear
Amo: I love

edit:
Also a wolf and a deer with that motto, and the deer even has feminine eyes, and the wolf in that pose... Some photoshoppery, a good print and a box of chocolates on a valentines day could really impress a girl. Especially if someone were to show the crest to her before the V-day, e.g. "look, our ancestors are from neighboring clans"... It's sappy enough to be half the plot of a Hollywood movie! :lol:
I couldn't agree more! "I love without fear." There's something to say when meeting the GF's dad! XD (to late for first meetings though) Good idea with the photoshoppery, I'm gonna try that.
Sandurz wrote:Wait, does that mean the you have French ancestors?
I had been under the impression that the crests were Scottish, but I do know I have some French in me somewhere, so it's possible.

DarkStarr

Post by DarkStarr » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 pm

:
Attachments
coat_of_arms.jpg
coat_of_arms.jpg (43.17 KiB) Viewed 7738 times