iPad

Anything else
TheBigCheese

Re: iPad

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:
Uberbeard wrote:Kotaku ran a good anti-iPad article lately, dismissing it's weak claims to innovation and making the point that, because of how big Apple are, it's actually standing in the way of forward progress. Much agree.
Since Apple released a good product, but not an amazing one, everybody is like "Apple is lame. However, I do in fact want one, even if you don't. :)
Why exactly do you want one if it's only 'good' I can see maybe buying a video game just to try it out, but you'd really spend $500-$850 just to get something "good"?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:03 pm

I have to say I agree with The Big Cheese and Uberbeard. Pretty ridiculous price tag.

However, it does look kind of neat. Even if it's not "innovative", which is a term some people seem to cream their pants over, I wouldn't say no to an iPad...if it's free.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I have to say I agree with The Big Cheese and Uberbeard. Pretty ridiculous price tag.

However, it does look kind of neat. Even if it's not "innovative", which is a term some people seem to cream their pants over, I wouldn't say no to an iPad...if it's free.
You will find no other tablet for that price that's not a piece of crap.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

That's ridiculous, if I was buying medication for 500 dollars I'd expect it to at least be good quality. =[

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:49 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:Thousands of places have been running anti-iPad articles. They aren't original. But, I can't find anything terribly original about the iPad in the first place. I don't think Apple is standing in the way of forward progress, I think everybody is expecting something WOW and AMAZING from Apple every single time Apple releases a new product. Since Apple released a good product, but not an amazing one, everybody is like "Apple is lame. iPad is lame. Steve Jobs is lame."
But it's pappy futurism, it doesn't bother me when Apple release a normal update to their iPods or MacBooks but when they create a relative media blackout on a product (to create buzz) and push it out as innovative, it's pisses me off a little bit. I care about digital media because it's what I want to go into, so when I see a company that made efforts to place itself at the front of the development community release a convergance of old media and shopping. It sidelines innovation because, when Apple does something, everyone copies, and not often very well. It also works as a business model for future products, and it's likely to be successful, because people buy into the Apple ecology.

"...even if e-ink provides a better reading experience for books (reading on an iPad will continue to literally mean staring into a lamp, just like reading on a computer screen), it doesn't matter because it's the total package of iTunes, iBookstore, 3G, games, apps etc. that will pull ebook readers along with it."

Couple that with Apple's control over the app store, which may seem passable on a phone but is arguably a problem with something breaching into computer technology. It's not a problem with the app store, per se, so much a problem with the way the app store in vetted.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:You will find no other tablet for that price that's not a piece of crap.
Perhaps not. I would argue, anyway, that you could drop the 'other' in that statement.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:58 pm

No thanks, I'll keep it. Even if the iPad isn't "innovative" like the iPhone was, it's still not a piece of crap.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:05 pm

They're coming out with a bigger, 14 X 14 Inch version next year. I heard they'll be calling it the Max-I-pad.

Bah-domp tssh.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Stop using innovation as though hoping for it was somehow a ridiculous demand we're all making.

There's no relevant positive argument to it. Honestly, Apple made the bloody claim, and for the god awful price they're expecting the public to pay up for it I expect quality of product, beautiful design, and yes, innovation.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:You will find no other tablet for that price that's not a piece of crap.
Not if you shop smart. I bought a 2.5GHz, Dual-Core, 4GB of ram, 320GB widescreen laptop for only $750. Note that it has twice the power in literally every component, and has the added benefit that you can do pretty much anything on it.

Also, the computer I'm typing on now is a tricked out $400 netbook that still has better specs than the iPad. 1.6Ghz, 2GB RAM; the only thing it doesn't have is storage, as it only has a 16GB SSD. However it does have actual USB slots and an SD card reader, so honestly it's not much of a problem.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see the word tablet. You're probably right about that one, however for laptops, the market that the iPad really has competition with there's nothing the iPad has besides the touchscreen.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Im actually kinda happy that Apple came out with Ipad ... because it means it will generate some demand for tablet PC's and in about a year or so other laptop companies will start cranking out these puppies at a lower price to undercut them 8)

and ive always thought a tablet would be nice for texture editing ...

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Assaultman67 wrote:Im actually kinda happy that Apple came out with Ipad ... because it means it will generate some demand for tablet PC's and in about a year or so other laptop companies will start cranking out these puppies at a lower price to undercut them 8)

and ive always thought a tablet would be nice for texture editing ...
It's going to be hard to come out with a tablet for cheaper, methinks.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:49 pm

No, LOL no it won't ... a tablet is basically a laptop with a special touch sensor within the screen ... and laptops can be made dirt cheap.

If demand goes up for those kinds of PC's then basically any laptop manufacturer should be able to roast them by cutting costs via mass production ...

Apple makes their profits from selling mediocre proprietary products in a stylish case to their cult-like followers for super expensive prices ... A PC manufacturer could probably beat them out simply because the PC market is much more cutthroat than the "Apple" market ...

Noz

Post by Noz » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:You are in risk of violating Rule #8 of the Wolfire Forums, set down by hdlsa the fruit salad on May 31th, 2005.

But anyway, I'm trying to decide if it really fills the slot between the MacBooks and the iPods.
This isn't a Mac vs PC debate.

Assaultman67

Post by Assaultman67 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:12 pm

It isn't really a Mac vs PC debate ...

Its more of a discussion about supply and demand as well as overhead costs (although my PC bias definitely was visible) ... and i laughed when i saw this ...

I honestly don't understand how one company that produces their own proprietary parts for their own proprietary product could beat out several companies that can use standardized parts ...

Its the same reason Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, as well as other far eastern car companies can beat out companies like Ford and GM ...

they're streamlined and deadly like a mongoose ... where as ford and gm are slow and fat like a obese squirrel ...