Re: My Grandaunt Died, Please Pity Me!

Post by Untadaike » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:11 am

Only on the Wolfire forum. I didn't take part in this trash fight for reason xD

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:25 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote:Im bitter because I hate trolls, thay are anoying:
Those mountain trolls were pretty annoying. They weren't as annoying as the dragon. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KILL A DRAGON WITH THROWING KNIVES?
The Trick is you get them toi shoop da whoop, and then you dodge the lazar, then when you got enough room you do one to two over head attacks or a upper thrust a few times.

Stir and repeate until you drown in a puddle of dragons blood, the Dragon is a pushover.

The Enemy I hate is that Pedo in the pond

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:56 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:Stir and repeate until you drown in a puddle of dragons blood, the Dragon is a pushover.
Really? I didn't want to practice the repetition of it enough to beat him, I wasn't that hardcore into it. It was just a game I had on my Amiga when I was younger, more than 10 years ago, I loved killing those weird dudes with the pikes and the boars that charged across the screen at you. And those furballs in the forest that jumped out of the trees. I hate how the dragon randomly jumped on you as he flew across the map. Killing the other knights was childsplay, which I found strange.

You still didn't acknowledge my reply to your post.

Uberbeard wrote:*A long post about definitions.*
I really was just picking out a rather random word. I was trying to be glossy. My understanding of cryptic is when speech or circumstances are confusing and hard to decipher, such as The Mars Volta's lyrics. My reason for calling myself an enigma is simply for, as Endoperez touched upon, sometimes I can act in the interest of other people, and offer some sort of positive feedback. However, for the most part I'm just a bollocks (pretty much only on these forums) for amusement sake. I occasionally entertain brief forays into serious debate, however these usually prove fleeting and I just end up being a bollocks again.

To sum it up, I'd wager some are confused by my occasional serious tone, positive feedback or optimism, thus the description of myself as an enigma. However, I was only being hyperbolic for the fun of it, and it's more likely that most people just think I'm an asshole.

Endoperez wrote:It is very rare to get friends like that online. When it happens, you probably meet in real life too. Before that, it takes a long time to build up trust, to learn to know the person the other tries to be, then the person he really is. I don't have friends like that, but I know of friendships formed over the internet.
Oh, this is true. It is rare, and it does occasionally happen, and I know of people who have met up who knew each other over the internet. I once met a girl and a guy who I knew from Yahoo! chat. However, it happened once, and it was only because the girl from America was visiting the guy from Ireland who lived in the same county as me. We met up in town. It was weird and awkward, but kind of funny at the same time. She used to text me to meet up more, however I never intended for us to become friends who hung out all the time. She'd decided she was going to get married to the guy from Ireland, so she was in Ireland a lot, and apparently I was the only person she tried to become friends with.

I knew she was only asking to hang out for the sake of necessity because she didn't know anyone else in Ireland. I had my own friends who I hung out with, and despite feeling guilty about it, believe me I did, I just didn't want to become the person who she'd always go to to hang out with. It was just weird. Nothing I can really do about that, I can't imagine someone would want someone to hang out with them if they knew that person wasn't really friends with them! That's the funny thing, we met even though I hardly knew her at all. It was only by coincidence. I don't know what's happened to them, I haven't spoken to either in years.

Do you think that makes me a bad person?

Endoperez wrote:However, it's not that hard to get an online community going that, while it doesn't know much about any individual person's real life, cares enough about the online persona to offer honest condolences or congratulations. People in the community notice that someone is missing (probably a month or two after he went missing), and worry about him. They talk, argue, discuss. They learn who they agree with, and who they can't stand, much like people in the real life. It's just much rarer to take the last step and really become friends.
Believe me, I'm all in favour of that. I love the idea of an online community. Why do you think I post here? This is the only forum I'm a member of, I don't think any other would interest me enough, and it's probably only because that was the type of thing I did when I was 14 or so.

And I enjoy the interaction between members on the forums, and how there are some members with very distinct and interesting personalities.

However, I like the disconnection between my real life and this community. Or my real life and Yahoo! Chat. If I want to deal with personal problems, I'll engage someone from my personal life. I accept if someone has a differing viewpoint on the benefits of exposing your personal issues to a public forum for the sake of feedback or attention, but I'm just expressing my dissenting views on the matter.

Endoperez wrote:And now I'll tell you a story. About the only other guy I know of that lied about a person dying for his own amusement. In his case, it was when people started wondering why a person had stopped posting, and he decided to be a jerk. He was an obnoxious guy who toted his arrogant views (or what he told us were his views - perhaps he just liked trolling). Some people liked him, some couldn't stand him, everybody knew him.
First of all, the grandaunt doesn't exist. It's a figment. It's hypothetical. What's a grandaunt anyway? I know what it is, it's your grandmother's sister.

You seem to imply some moral deficiency in using the idea of someone dying to make a point. Death isn't a secret. While it's tragic, the fantastical example a death which doesn't exist and isn't connected to anyone is hardly emotionally defunct, is it?

Other than that, this guy you're talking about sounds like me. :P

Endoperez wrote:BTW, what does enigma mean if not cryptic? Riddle, mystery, enigma... isn't that all it means? You were probably thinking of something different. :P
No, I wasn't. I was thinking of enigma. I believe cryptic is similar, but different. Cryptic is something with a hidden meaning. I wasn't saying I have a hidden meaning.
Endoperez wrote:I'm only taking the time to write this, because I wanted to know if you'd always been a jerk, and to my surprise found a post where you tried to be open. This post seemed quite polite and mature, and you said as much, but it wasn't the least shameful because it was true. Now your posts are arrogant and little else. In short, I'm not writing this because of what I think of your opinions or posts, but because I'm an optimist and I think even a troll like you (that's how your posts read to me) must have a little human inside him.
That was a bit vague. I don't know what time you're talking about where I was polite and mature. This certainly doesn't sound like me.

All nonsense aside, if you think for one second that you're somehow more mature simply because you don't enjoy berating people and calling them names, then...umm...I don't know where I'm going with this.

Maturity is overrated. I'll be mature when I want to be. Maturity is for things like college and, I don't know, real life, not necessarily for my free time on an anonymous forum. Moral highground ftw. Anyway, people who are overly concerned about maturity are usually the stuck-up ones who never have fun. Letting the inner child out is important. Everyone has one. Some are just too worried about what people will think.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 am

Renegade_Turner wrote: Maturity is for things like college
HAHA, what? Maturity is for college?
No it isn't. :wink:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:05 am

Renegade Turner wrote:Believe me, I'm all in favour of that. I love the idea of an online community. Why do you think I post here? This is the only forum I'm a member of, I don't think any other would interest me enough, and it's probably only because that was the type of thing I did when I was 14 or so.

And I enjoy the interaction between members on the forums, and how there are some members with very distinct and interesting personalities.

However, I like the disconnection between my real life and this community. Or my real life and Yahoo! Chat. If I want to deal with personal problems, I'll engage someone from my personal life. I accept if someone has a differing viewpoint on the benefits of exposing your personal issues to a public forum for the sake of feedback or attention, but I'm just expressing my dissenting views on the matter.
I was talking about a community that cares about people. If you are in favour of that, why are you dissing the people who did just that in this thread? And incidentally, I don't think this community is that good. There are some great people here, but not enough and not often enough to get a really good community going. I think one reason for that is because some people here are for fun and randomness and silly message board games, and others are here because they're interested in game design and development, and some really like Lugaru, and there's not enough overlap.

Re:bolded part
Your post didn't come off as satire. I thought you were just trolling for pity-posts and then dissing the people who "seek attention on the internet". Someone could post a message like that 100% honestly; the fact that YOU wouldn't isn't enough to make it satire. If you had exaggerated more (say, your grand-aunt died, and your dog died, and your cat died two years ago, and it's raining, and you really want the attention of your friends online) it might have actually come across as satire and this whole thread would be different.
First of all, the grandaunt doesn't exist. It's a figment. It's hypothetical. What's a grandaunt anyway? I know what it is, it's your grandmother's sister.

You seem to imply some moral deficiency in using the idea of someone dying to make a point. Death isn't a secret. While it's tragic, the fantastical example a death which doesn't exist and isn't connected to anyone is hardly emotionally defunct, is it?
If I posted that "oh no, Renegade Turner is dead!" and you reply with "braaaaains!", that's okay. If I posted that someone who doesn't post here anymore is dead, and people have no way to tell if I'm telling the truth, that's NOT okay. I hope we can at least agree on this.

Using the idea of someone dying to make a point would be fine. Pretending that someone died to make a point is not, in my opinion. You thought of a fantastical example of death which doesn't exist, but I only saw a death that COULD HAVE existed. I had no way of knowing the death was fantastic; in fact, I did not. So the initial reaction of most people here was as if the death was real. Most people here could also guess that Renegade Turner is crying wolf again, though.
All nonsense aside, if you think for one second that you're somehow more mature simply because you don't enjoy berating people and calling them names, then...umm...I don't know where I'm going with this.

Maturity is overrated. I'll be mature when I want to be. Maturity is for things like college and, I don't know, real life, not necessarily for my free time on an anonymous forum. Moral highground ftw. Anyway, people who are overly concerned about maturity are usually the stuck-up ones who never have fun. Letting the inner child out is important. Everyone has one. Some are just too worried about what people will think.
Actually, I don't think that. It's not what you enjoy that defines maturity, but what you do. Berating people and calling them names is immature or impolite when it's uncalled for (and that's most of the time), whether or not you enjoy it. I agree that you don't have to be mature or serious on your free time, but you aren't polite either, and being impolite and trying to be part of a community seems to be a really bad combination.

What would you say to a person who was a serious and mature child? :D

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:45 pm

1. This community is a hobby for me, not some sort of family like you seem to think online communities can be.
2. The thread was satire. Why would someone expressly ask for pity?
3. I have no qualms with using a fictitious person's death as a means for a point.
4. Whether or not some person hundreds miles away from me thinks I'm impolite is of little consequence to me.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:15 pm

1. That's fine, although I'd say "a friendly bunch" instead of family.
2. The satire failed because I and others couldn't tell it was satire. A person asks for sympathy if it would help his grieving, and condolences from friendly strangers does help some people.
3. Neither do I if everybody knows it's fictitious. What about fictionalizing a real person's death?
4. Forum rules forbid impolite behaviour.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:46 pm

I like that rule three is based around people using the edit button.

Thou shalt use the edit button, for multiple posts are henceforth officially annoying.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:49 pm

A post of a single line takes the space of several lines, ~5 for me and more for those with avatars.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:56 pm

That was a very good response assaultman, thanks for that. I've heard that it was a good idea but for the most part i agree with your reasoning.
As for the Ren/Endo arguement, I wouldn't say that it's impolite really. More like coaxing into something. Coaxing tends to be more of a gray area instead of a "good/bad" thing.

Uberbeard

Post by Uberbeard » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 am

I'd argue this post is more malicious to anyone who have ever used a web forum or online friends to share something with. I'm not really upset by it, but it doesn't come off as harmful satire so much as a short sharp little dig.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:59 am

How'd this topic get so out of hand?

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Freshbite wrote:How'd this topic get so out of hand?
Blame Boxman and his meticulously prearranged tea parties.