S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Any good?

Anything else
Zhukov

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Any good?

Post by Zhukov » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:17 am

Yeah... title prettymuch says it all.

I noticed that all three stalker games are available for $45 on steam. (Not a special offer or anything, that's just the regular prices.) Smells like a bargain. Just thought I'd seek a few second opinions first.

So, they worth getting?

Uberbeard

Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Any good?

Post by Uberbeard » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:52 am

First one, yes. Haven't played the sequels.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

I've heard largely mixed opinions.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:38 pm

mostly heard they're good.

Venatir

Post by Venatir » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

I love fps, rpg and such. But somehow I didnt really like/play stalker. dunno why. I just didnt want to continue

wolfbrother9393

Too Buggy... I heared.

Post by wolfbrother9393 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:23 am

I've never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but smelled a good deal too. I've searched online trying to dig up some information and came to this conclusion: Great potential but the bugs are never sorted out enough to make it playable.

The first game gives you literally a whole continent to explore but it lacks fast travel and a way for you to keep yourself on task. No vehicles either. While trying to find your objective you can easily get turned around and find yourself several virtual miles in the wrong direction.

The game only saves when you enter a new area of the zone and since every enemy in the game is wearing the Master Cheif's MJOLNIR armor you are going to die. A lot. And each time start of at the last time you entered this area of the zone.

In the second game there is a game of conquest similar to StarWars: Battlefront changing the game front the entire time you play between two factions of NPCs. This sound awesome, right? It would be if your objectives didn't depend on it. This makes objectives to capture enemy territory miles away from the faction you're helping impossible to reach and sometimes you might get the mission only to have it immediately completed because the NPCs have already reached it.

It's a hugely buggy experience that could have a lot more too it if the wrinkles were ironed out. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat was released recently and I've hear absolutely nothing about it. I don't know if they've fixed the bugs but if they did it could be a completely new and awesome experience. Until I hear this has been fixed I'm going to stick with FarCry 2 and Fallout 3.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:30 pm

The first one is good, but it isn't as Open-World as they said it was, they said it was an FPS version of Oblivion... far from it. Still, it's a good game in it's own right, and if you don't mind a few bugs, it's a good FPS/RPG to get into... it entertained me for a few good hours.

rakyth

Post by rakyth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:13 pm

In: With language like that, you're a real asshole!
Out: Even then, in fact, if you do not need to use the language of the time, these people are!

In: In and out: A fun way to have fun!
Out: Out there: to enjoy the fun!

In: If you are ugly, please do not swim naked at this beach.
Out: If you are not ugly, please swim in the nude on the beach below.

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Methinks you are in the wrong topic, rakyth. Lol.