Heavy Rain...

Anything else
Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: Heavy Rain...

Post by Blorx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:42 pm

I don't know. The game came out 2 days ago and I beat it once. Hell if I know if it changes. Dad, my brother and I were contemplating it.

Also, I'm not telling who the killer is because I don't want to ruin it for the people that still do want to play.

Confusing as hell game. Amazing graphics. Great ending. I recommend.

PS: A certain choice will engage a 5 minute sex scene. Be warned. I think you'll know. xD

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:54 pm

TadMod wrote:A tard? Now you've gone and hurt my feelings, I'm going to go in the corner and slit my wrists over what you said.

But seriously, suck up a little more to Ren, perhaps some of his cleverness will rub off, not likely, but possible.
1. Good, maybe you can bleed out some of your stupidity. Hey, it's an outdated practice, but you know, it could still work, right?

2. Are you kidding me? I get as annoyed by him as you do. And don't tell me you don't, because otherwise you wouldn't bitch about him. So yea, not kissing ass, giving credit where it's deserved. He's made me laugh (with cleverness, and not laughing AT him) more than you. In fact, I haven't found any of yours humorous. He's also funny when he annoys me, so it kind of makes up for it.

Seriously, that's not kissing ass, it's me calling you humorless and idiotic.

TadMod

Post by TadMod » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:08 pm

Blorx wrote:I don't know. The game came out 2 days ago and I beat it once. Hell if I know if it changes. Dad, my brother and I were contemplating it.

Also, I'm not telling who the killer is because I don't want to ruin it for the people that still do want to play.

Confusing as hell game. Amazing graphics. Great ending. I recommend.

PS: A certain choice will engage a 5 minute sex scene. Be warned. I think you'll know. xD
Can you PM me who the killer is? I have a sneaking suspicion I know who it is, but I'm not entirely sure.

Bah, every game is coming out with a sex scene these days, it's nothing new...

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 am

Am I the only person here who genuinely likes Renegade_Turner?

Anyway, back on topic. Heavy Rain actually does look pretty cool, but its definitely not your regular interactive game. Its like one of those visual novels with player input.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:28 am

Actually, I have played the demo, which constitutes about as much time as you claimed to have played on your first post. Whether I played the game or not, is there a qualified privilege associated to commenting on a game which dictates that you must first play the game? Now you're clutching at straws.
TadMod wrote:However, you still used second person, speaking directly to Blorx "You seem like the won't-take-no-for-an-answer fanatical type.", which is unfair, as he did not write the article, merely posing his own point of view.
Huh? Do I really have to explain it again? The line you quoted was not in reference to the article. It's in reference to what Blorx said. Everything after that is in reference to the article. Jesus, don't make me repeat myself again, you can't seriously be this slow.
TadMod wrote:It depends what you consider half-witted? Getting a scholarship for a university course? Scoring in the top 10% of the country in the ATARs? If so, then yes, I'm half-witted.
I, umm, got a law scholarship for Yale and scored in the top 10% of the Ikari Warriors leaderboards on the ATARI.

This reminds me of Turner/Untadaike's Law.

tokage wrote:The tendency of people to claim that this is just the internet and in the real world they are important can be observed quite often so I guess it would be OK to formulate such a law. Now for a name ... either Turner's law or Untadaike's law?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:19 pm

It's hard to be a fanatical for a game that isn't out yet.

I do see its faults, one being the clunky controls, and the difficulty in getting around small space (I had to damn the scene where Madison was leaving Scott's apartment for this one).

However unlikely it is to "revolutionize" gaming, it sure is going to revolutionize storytelling in games. This game literally is one of those hidden gems, a modern version of LucasArts adventure games, one might say, except much more dynamic.

Here are a few reasons the storytelling is so great in Heavy Rain:

1. There are choices everywhere and any one of the characters (including the 4 playable) can die, stay dead, and the story will continue without them.
2. You aren't forced to do anything except enter the scene and cope with your own choices. The game may be a stereotypical linear game, but by all means, do whatever the hell you want.
3. Not everything is so immediately guessable. It's a story that will keep you guessing. There are subtle hints everywhere and the game will constantly have you guessing "oh it's this guy!" or "oh it's that guy!"
4. The game shows very real people in very real situations.
5. The game shows real emotion. It can, and frequently has, made people cry.
6. To top it all off, if you screw up in an action scene, it isn't dependent on how many time you screw up. It's dependent on where you screw up. Each screw up has consequences, ranging from scars, to failed trials, even to death.

This game isn't amazing because its gameplay is amazing. It's amazing because it's storytelling in a way that we don't often see. Every game makes you the hero, or the villain. This game makes you an ordinary person. Even at the ending I got, where I saved Shaun and Ethan went off happily with Madison, I didn't feel like a hero. I felt amazingly grateful that I had saved Madison, Ethan and Shaun from certain death all in one scene, but I didn't feel like a hero. All the same, it was an incredible experience.

More games need to do that. They need real dynamics with real overarching consequences. It's a shame that to this day, the only other game I can think of that has things like this is Fire Emblem, and it's only limited, in that if anyone but Roy/Marth dies, they stay dead.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:29 pm

Blorx wrote:However unlikely it is to "revolutionize" gaming, it sure is going to revolutionize storytelling in games. This game literally is one of those hidden gems, a modern version of LucasArts adventure games, one might say, except much more dynamic.
Haha yeah, and with sufficiently less tongue-in-cheek nonsensical humour and a much darker theme. Why, if you can be civil about what I'm saying, can TadMod not do the same? This is ever more relevant considering it was your article which the comments were directed towards.

But I agree with the fact that it has a fairly interested storytelling dynamic, and for that purpose I'll definitely play it through at some stage. It seems like one of those one-off gems that's amazing the first time but then you never muster up the same excitement as you did the first time you played it, and henceforth every further playthrough seems more like forcing yourself to replay it rather than actually wanting to. This is especially through for roleplaying games.

However, I will acknowledge Heavy Rain does go to lengths to attempt to be as non-linear in the outcome of its story as possible, and it will probably fare a bit better in terms of replayability than its competitors in the genre, such as Dreamfall (which was good, but I didn't even finish it) and so on. This will most likely be due to the fact that there's many different points in the game where different people can die...I'm led to believe every playable character in the game can possibly die, and if they all die then that is where the story ends. That's a pretty cool concept. Like it's not even a game over, it's just the end of that particular story. lol

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:13 pm

aaaaaand now you're on my ignore list.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Venatir...you're an asshat.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 pm

I...fucking...hate you... so much. I hope your PS3 really does go insanely sentient or whatever that new joke is. In any case, die in a fire.

I fucking hate spoilers more than anything. Well at least in the top 3.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Your suffering sustains me.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:32 am

Grayswandir wrote:SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!
D:

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:44 am

What else can we ruin here? Let's see...
IT WAS PROFESSOR PLUM, IN THE HALL, WITH THE CANDLESTICK!!!

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:49 am

DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER!

JACK KILLED TURNER'S FAMILY, NOT SKIPPER!

THE BURGLAR KILLED UNCLE BEN!