DIS Blog

Anything else
Kaphonaits

DIS Blog

Post by Kaphonaits » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:26 pm

All right, so me and my friend Jookia are just your average indie programmers with the artistic skill of a teaspoon. We're obviously trying to make a game. This game, is called DIS. (DISASTERS IN SPPAAACCCCEEEEE). Yes, it's a silly sounding game with serious intentions. There wouldn't really be a DIS if there was no Space Station 13. SS13 was created on the BYOND engine by someone named Exadv1. He made this really realistic game where everyone was assigned a job and they went about role-playing. I really don't know much because, ironically, I've never played SS13. I just sort of jumped on the train with Jookia on this. You could probably ask Jookia more on SS13 if you care to check out the blog and what not. Anyway, there were game-modes like Traitor, where one of your fellows aim is to kill as many people as possible and escape on an escape shuttle alone. Stuff like that. However the problem with SS13 is the bumpy learning curve, coupled with stupid admins, and all the lag, made it hard to tell if you just did right or wrong. There's also the idiots who don't even role-play... but we won't talk about them. :lol:

So, on to the main part of this. The blog has only about 5 regular readers including Jookia and myself. Anyway, DIS was originally going to be in 3D, we however decided awhile back that we didn't have the resources to create DIS that way. So we switched to ASCII. So, we would like it if some of you guys read the blog and commented. It spoon-feeds us motivation to know that someone cares about the god damn progress :|.

I hope to see your comments there! :D

{UPDATES}
#Okay so we now have a binary for you guys to screw around with, go check it out!

Blog Link: http://www.166291.blogspot.com
Last edited by Kaphonaits on Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Freshbite

Re: DIS Blog

Post by Freshbite » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Acceptance Test:

Who or what is Turner? And how is Turner related to Overgrowth?

Kaphonaits

Post by Kaphonaits » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:46 pm

Freshbite wrote:Acceptance Test:

Who or what is Turner? And how is Turner related to Overgrowth?
Turner is a ninja rabbit that in Lugaru, killed off a whole den of wolves and destroyed most of the raiders in his conquest to avenge his family. (In which he did).

Now, how is he related to Overgrowth? I am not sure. The ending of Lugaru was well, an ending.

Turner: "I'm going to wander the island until i find a purpose for my life."

The "story" could follow his wanderings. Who knows.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Yay! Now you've got my respect, I'll check your blog out :D

Btw, the name kind of reminds me of "AaaaaaAAaaaaAAAaaaAAAAaaAAAAAa!!"

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Wait, what's the game about exactly?

Kaphonaits

Post by Kaphonaits » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:27 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:Wait, what's the game about exactly?
Space-themed roleplay/other gamemodes. It will (probably) include chatting, combat system, smash-able windows that drain oxygen and drag all non-static objects (including players) out into space, killing them. etc.

If you're interested, go ask questions on the blog/discussion for Jookia to answer. :wink:

Armored Wolf

Post by Armored Wolf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

Kaphonaits wrote:
Space-themed roleplay/other gamemodes. It will (probably) include chatting[...]
O_O The game is about chatting?

Jookia

Post by Jookia » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:48 pm

On the first blog post, theres this..
Space Station 13 is a role playing game made on the BYOND engine by Exadv1. The main goal of the development was to make a 2D cellular automata with values for each tile for chemicals. This ends up making a (kind of) realistic air simulation where players can walk around in. For example, if I break a window open and space is on the other side of the window, air will slowly drain out. Now, add players and objects and vaccums. See where I'm going here? Players would lose air and die slowly and be sucked out along with non-static objects. Sounds fun, right
What I'm doing along with the dude who made this topic is to remake it in C++ using ASCII stuff and less lag.

Kaphonaits

Post by Kaphonaits » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 pm

Armored Wolf wrote:
Kaphonaits wrote:
Space-themed roleplay/other gamemodes. It will (probably) include chatting[...]
O_O The game is about chatting?
*facepalm*

Nevermind.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:42 pm

Cellular Automata? Cool! Hope that goes well. I can't really imagine if that would work any better than just your basic tile-based system, but sounds cool. Reminds me a lot of Dwarf Fortress's physics with gasses and water.

Kaphonaits

Post by Kaphonaits » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 pm

Bumpity bump.

We need more readers, seriously.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:23 pm

I like your optimism, but nothing in your blog really interests me.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:34 pm

If you want more readers, you might update your website template. It's a little bland.

Also you don't really have anything to show, or there are no links obviously placed that would catch the readers attention. Screenshots of interesting game scenarios (even if the graphics are crap, if the ideas are cool, then it'll still be interesting).

Kaphonaits

Post by Kaphonaits » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:23 pm

TheBigCheese wrote:If you want more readers, you might update your website template. It's a little bland.

Also you don't really have anything to show, or there are no links obviously placed that would catch the readers attention. Screenshots of interesting game scenarios (even if the graphics are crap, if the ideas are cool, then it'll still be interesting).
We just released a little pointless alpha if you care to screw around with it.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Screens would be nice so we don't have to jump into something we don't understand at all.